Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
ST-Ericsson
okay great, but the meego kernel doesn't support any part of the u8500 platform yet. where's the drivers for the ab8500, cw1200, or cg2900? where's the kernel patches to enable those when the u8500 is detected? I am pretty sure if the N9 was to be a ST-Ericsson device, they would be required to put these components into the official repository by now. Even you yourself think the N9 is scrapped, yet you make a topic "N9 will have...". What an abortion of a thread.
You armchair analysts are boring

You're not paying attention to that we recently went for a new kernel policy and hence, a central kernel is no longer required, just similar features and sharing some patches. I've seen a U8500 kernel for MeeGo around on the repositories.

Also, it is fairly unusual for Nokia (by seeing how N900, N8x0 was handled) to submit anything remotely of value of patches that tell specifically about board-* hardware configurations for a certain device -before- product launch.

Also, 'CDK' usually implies 'Development Kit", just like SHCDK existed.

In addition to that, there's kernels for all sorts of weird devices surrounding MeeGo in and outside. That DOES NOT MEAN that Nokia will make a product using those. It's a public project, where hardware adaptations are submitted to and worked upon.

We'll hopefully see the whole range of ARM SoC's like Qualcomm, Broadcom, TI OMAP4, nVidia Tegra2, Marvell's chips soon in hardware adaptations.

And everyone can build products using those.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-01-23 at 08:41.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
That's an old video, I've seen it ages ago. But thanks for finding it.

Well Nokia's next flagship has 4 likely processor candidates:
(in order of most likely to least likely, imho)

1) Texas Instrument OMAP 3640 with 512MB DDR2 RAM (Single-core Cortex A8 @1GHz, SGX535)

2) ST-Ericson U8500 with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Dual-core Cortex A9 @1.2GHz, MALI 400MP)

3) Texas Instrument OMAP 4430 with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Dual-core Cortex A9 @1GHz, SGX540)

4) Intel Atom Z6xx (Moorsetown) with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Single-core x86 @1.2GHz, GMA600=SGX535)
The video is two months old. It has been on ARMdevices.net ever since it was recorded November 12 2010. It shows three things of interest:
1. A working MeeGo on the U8500 (working in the MeeGo interpretation of the word).
2. Nokia has announced they will ship a device with this platform in 2011. An announcement made only two months ago.
3. Linaro as THE catalyzing factor for MeeGo + ARM, but also Android or any Linux actually running on ARM. http://www.linaro.org/assets/LinaroSummaryQ111.pdf

It doesn't matter what you people believe or like or hope, those three points are cold facts. What device(s) will Nokia ship this year with the U8500? this is where the speculation begins. It could be anything IMO. I believe it is a Symbian slab, a N8 on steroids less the 12 Mp camera. That and God knows what other cool (or not) stuff is coming.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
i had confirmation that the n900 would not have a holographic display, now i wonder if lack of noise on this means the n9 will have?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You armchair analysts are boring
Well, I'm glad you picked out all the flaws in my analysis. I really think there is no way Nokia and Intel would be partners creating the OS and Nokia would not make at least one MeeGo phone running on the Intel hardware. Intel needs MeeGo to be very efficient with their processor, that's why they are in the project. Intel probably also wants Nokia to help design and sell some phones for them, as they have way more experience. As long as Intel can deliver what they promised, Nokia will be shipping a phone with their processor.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
The video is two months old. It has been on ARMdevices.net ever since it was recorded November 12 2010. It shows three things of interest:
1. A working MeeGo on the U8500 (working in the MeeGo interpretation of the word).
2. Nokia has announced they will ship a device with this platform in 2011. An announcement made only two months ago.
3. Linaro as THE catalyzing factor for MeeGo + ARM, but also Android or any Linux actually running on ARM. http://www.linaro.org/assets/LinaroSummaryQ111.pdf

It doesn't matter what you people believe or like or hope, those three points are cold facts. What device(s) will Nokia ship this year with the U8500? this is where the speculation begins. It could be anything IMO. I believe it is a Symbian slab, a N8 on steroids less the 12 Mp camera. That and God knows what other cool (or not) stuff is coming.
U8500 with symbian nokia has already official said that there will come dualcore with symbian

symbian is still main OS at Nokia dont forget that fact. It may change in a year when meego is more staabilized. but not 2011.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
U8500 with symbian nokia has already official said that there will come dualcore with symbian

symbian is still main OS at Nokia dont forget that fact. It may change in a year when meego is more staabilized. but not 2011.
So Nokia has decided not to amputate the gangrene leg of symbian. Wonderful.

Yes indeed, every comment in here is official statment by Nokia.

U8500 is officially worked for MeeGo, but it was originally announced for Symbian. One reason for U8500 and Symbian love being is that N900 was not even out when ST-Ericsson and Nokia announced U8500, not to even talk about MeeGo.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

Exactly, and it will be called N9. I hope it is the one in all the pics (with HW keyboard), who knows? But, the thing is, the U8500 architecture runs MeeGo with the same ease as it does Symbian, and so will the N9. The N9 will be a Symbian device with the ability to run MeeGo. There is no other logic explanation.

Question when it comes to performance on multicore processors for mobiles, what are they capable of?

Can one core be switched off when the performance isn't needed ?(obviously the OS would have to be in control of moving all processes to the running core)

Would that even make sense from a performance/watt standpoint or would we be better off running both cores at half speed? (assuming the load can be divided)

Is it possible to run the two cores at different speeds, or are they locked to the same frequency? (eg. one core at full throttle for something computation heavy, the other core at low speed handling background tasks)

Would that make sense?

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
NOTE: The writings bellow are speculations

Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
Can one core be switched off when the performance isn't needed ?(obviously the OS would have to be in control of moving all processes to the running core)
I'm pretty sure that processors for mobile devices will allow for one core to poweroff and perhaps to be clocked to different speed. This will have dramatic impact on battery performance, especially when the one processor is idle.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
Is it possible to run the two cores at different speeds, or are they locked to the same frequency? (eg. one core at full throttle for something computation heavy, the other core at low speed handling background tasks)
At some point there were claims of multicore mobile processors where cores were running at different speeds (i.e. a slow core and a fast core). However, this should not be practical since it would require a kernel that could properly handle asymetric multi-processing and AFAIK linux can't do that.

On the other hand, Linux is already capable of managing the clock of each CPU (core/thread and thus package) individually if the hardware allows it. See the output of cpufreq-info in any recent linux box.

Tags
fud fud fud fud, get an iphone, mmm... popcorn, stop posting