Active Topics

Doubt they'll adopt Android, WP7 or others. They would have to port Qt and their services to those platforms and so on, does not make much sense.

Quote from Elop:

Seven, the strategy must be elegant in its simplicity, as I have already said Nokia must change faster than the industry is changing. Our go-forward strategy must be remarkably clear so that we can effectively refocus and align our employees, partners and other stake holders.
Switching platforms now would just be confusing.

Today, the winning ecosystems at the high-end to mid range deliver great hardware, compelling user interfaces and the coherent aggregation of search, advertising, ecommerce, social networking, location-based services, entertainment and unified communications, just to name a few.

At the same time, we see a different type of ecosystem building around mid-range to low end devices and developing markets involving very low cost components and manufacturing processes. In this range, brand, scale, price, design, distribution and speed are critical. It is on this basis of ecosystems that Nokia must now compete.
So far nothing new here.

With our new Symbian family of products, Nokia is addressing an opportunity to improve our position at the higher end of the market. The Nokia N8, the first of our new Symbian devices started shipping at the end of Q3 and delivered a solid performance in Q4.
This sounds worrying, symbian at the high end, what does that mean for meego?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2490...all-transcript

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Offtopic.. if all the time we spend trying to find out what Nokia will do and what HW the N9 has were spent differently, by now we'd know who killed John F. Kennedy AND what happened to little Madeleine.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
They do this already, at least with Fry's. The problem is that the REAL price of a cell phone is higher than most people expect, and the carriers play stupid games to "discount" a phone by getting you into an overpriced 2 year contract. Of course, you'll effectively pay for it and then some, and bringing your own you get no discount. Lack of device portability across US carriers and contracts with punitive ETFs inhibit the ability for the end user to actually shop for deals.
I will give T-Mobile some props here for their pricing model. The no-contract/no-phone monthly price is cheaper than the contract/subsidized-phone price. I think it was around $10 per month difference for the same plan which means that for a two year plan with a subsidized phone you are paying ~$240 more than if you buy the phone separately. Add to that the risk involved in signing a 2 year agreement (Will I change jobs and move to another town where the coverage is crappy on this carrier? Will my needs change in 6 months and I have to buy a different phone? Will I get laid off next year and still have to pay the monthly fee for a full plan?) and it is not necessarily such a great deal to get a discount on the phone.

But you are correct that it is not perceived this way by the consumer. If only there was some entity out there that represented the people directly, helped to educate them about what is in their interests, and had the authority to enforce some rules both protecting consumers and promoting actual competition in the marketplace. I wonder what that would be like. I won't hold my breath waiting for that, either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
I hope that Nokia doesnt release a android or wm7 device. Symbian and meego are fine. And to the people who says nokia should give up symbian, you should consider that symbian still have some people developing for it. Nokia cant start all over again

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anwar71839 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
I hope that Nokia doesnt release a android or wm7 device. Symbian and meego are fine. And to the people who says nokia should give up symbian, you should consider that symbian still have some people developing for it. Nokia cant start all over again
It is funny how much Symbian has been criticized for needing a symplified, shiny UI. Believe it or not, most girls I know, use Symbian (N97, N97 mini, 5800, E72 and the good old N95) and prefer those phones over Android, WP7, and even iphone. This one friend has a 5800 and she got an iphone as a present. She gave away the iphone and continued using the 5800 for 2 years.

As for me, Symbian is perfect and am quite used to operating on it. If I did not have the N900, N8 would be second on my list.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to slackve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
ok lets face the facts:

symbian+qt is still best option for nokia on low/midend.

but lets face it her and now: why on earth would nokia win on meego if they want to make fast money for the stockholders? To be honest its to risky project

I HATE too say this but my guess now is Nokias Meego projects is dead inside nokia except a few geeks... And Elop plan to introduce WP7 instead + some kind of qt integration in it. just my guess but give me ONE good reason that changes my thoughts? I mean seriosly meego today is only knnown by some geeks and stockholdeders doeswnt give a **** in this little group of people

Also Just take a look at the meego mailingslists and git... something has changed again.... not much progress exceptg somje opensource developers.....

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
why on earth would nokia win on meego if they want to make fast money for the stockholders? To be honest its to risky project
Fast money in the stock market is the most foolish action any company could take. It's the hallmark of irresponsible executive staff.

I HATE too say this but my guess now is Nokias Meego projects is dead inside nokia except a few geeks... And Elop plan to introduce WP7 instead + some kind of qt integration in it.
I'm skeptical of that, but rest assured if WP7 ends up on devices there will absolutely not be any Qt.

Also Just take a look at the meego mailingslists and git... something has changed again.... not much progress exceptg somje opensource developers.....
You obviously aren't paying attention.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
ok lets face the facts:

symbian+qt is still best option for nokia on low/midend.

but lets face it her and now: why on earth would nokia win on meego if they want to make fast money for the stockholders? To be honest its to risky project

I HATE too say this but my guess now is Nokias Meego projects is dead inside nokia except a few geeks... And Elop plan to introduce WP7 instead + some kind of qt integration in it. just my guess but give me ONE good reason that changes my thoughts? I mean seriosly meego today is only knnown by some geeks and stockholdeders doeswnt give a **** in this little group of people

theres been more new positions opened and advertised to work at Nokia on MeeGo this month more than at any other time.
I think MeeGo is alive and kicking.
I think the comments he made are being over hyped, he could meant something like officially supporting Qt on other platforms to merge app ecosystems, Web OS already as Qt 4.6 so could mean working closer with HP for all we know.
Whatever it is i dont believe they will scrap a OS more likely to add a third smart one if there's OS change.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-01-28 at 00:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Web OS already as Qt 4.6 so could mean working closer with HP for all we know
Wouldn't that be a trip, if WebOS transitioned to a MeeGo base...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org