Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You don't need any programming at all. All you might need in Linux is the ability to follow instructions.

I'm with those who don't believe you have flashed your phone properly.

If you are sure absolutely you have flashed it completely and properly, it's time to get another phone. What is happening to you doesn't happen to hardly anyone. Flashing would fix it if it did.

I suggest you start over. Flash, and describe to us exactly how you did it. Then don't reinstall ANY programs and tell us how your N900 is working.
This is what i did, I can confirm you that i flashed it 100% correctly.

Step 1 Download the update files here - http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php
Step 2 The product id will be the IMEI number.Press *#06# for your device id number
Step 3 Download "RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin" & "RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin" files & rename the files R.bin & RE.bin respectively.
Step 4 Extract and install the Maemo flasher tool
Step 5 Copy R.bin & RE.bin files to C:/Program Files/maemo/flasher-3.5 directory
Step 6 Connect your phone to your computer using USB cable. Then press the power button to turn it off

Step 7 Press and hold on the letter " U" key on your phone qwerty keyboard while powering up your phone.

Step 8 A USB LOGO will appear on the top right of your screen.After the USB logo appeared you can let go of your finger.

Step 9 On your computer Access to your command prompt (CMD) for windows 7 Start > type cmd in search bar & ENTER
Step 10 Type the following code (IMPORTANT NOTE: This command is case-sensitive)
CODE
cd "C:\Program files\maemo\flasher-3.5"
then
CODE
flasher-3.5.exe -F R.bin -f

It will start flashing your phone.

Step 11 Type the following code (IMPORTANT NOTE: This command is case-sensitive)
CODE
cd "C:\Program files\maemo\flasher-3.5"
then
CODE
flasher-3.5.exe -F RE.bin -f -R

It will start formating your phone

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
These instructions are wrong... you should always flash eMMC first. Also, make sure your battery is fully charged first.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
I can confirm with you that i have completely flashed my phone properly.
I stated nothing about flashing properly, I asked if you restored a backup, that has nothing to do with the flash process. My question was have you been using the backup/restore app on the N900? If so, it may be restoring a corrupt database (contacts, settings, sms logs), which could be the root cause of hildon-home having issues.

And yes, getting email automatically would indicate that it's set to poll getting your mail. It may be that has something to do with it. You may want to try turning that off in the mail settings. You can always manually refresh in mail by hitting the top bar for the menu and selecting send/receive. If it is your mail refresh causing the issue, then you know where to look for the issue (network connectivity, ISP issues, etc), or you can eliminate that as a culprit.

You need to stop being defensive about this. Repeating constantly that you've "flashed properly" doesn't help. Describing steps you've taken and what you're using when things go bad can. Try a clean install without restoring from a backup and see if it persists. There's something clearly happening in your system that's not happening for everyone else. The challenge is finding it, and eliminating uniqueness is the first step of doing that. Once it's found you can ramp back up to full usage. Yes, it's painful, but it's required if you want this issue fixed.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I stated nothing about flashing properly, I asked if you restored a backup, that has nothing to do with the flash process. My question was have you been using the backup/restore app on the N900? If so, it may be restoring a corrupt database (contacts, settings, sms logs), which could be the root cause of hildon-home having issues.
But I DID mention flashing properly. You aren't the only one in the thread. Good comments otherwise.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
But I DID mention flashing properly. You aren't the only one in the thread. Good comments otherwise.
Yes, but he's replying to my post with "I flashed properly". Which indicates he saw I said the word "flash" and didn't read past that, otherwise he wouldn't have replied about "flashing properly". I get that others were harping on procedure (which is good because apparently he was doing something wrong). But assuming everyone is just because they suggest you try it as part of, or in concert with, a different method will lead to people not helping you pretty quickly. :P

Hopefully the silence indicates he's trying a sync/reflash/sync and seeing how things go. I know what it pain it can be to try to track down a rouge file/app causing issues. I had a corrupted IM/sms database for about a week, and every time my phone got an IM it would spike the CPU for about 40 seconds. One mv command and a reboot fixed it entirely, but it took a week to figure out what was going wrong and how to fix it. :P

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I DO have this strange behaviour also from time to time. And I do not have any clue, which widget could force this.

But I get out of this with
sudo killall hildon-home
or sometimes need also a
sudo killall hildon-desktop (99% no reboot necessary)

But this may remove all Your widgets from desktop. Location will be stored, so it is possible to make a backup of home.plugins
cp /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins.save
Do this after adding a new widget as backup.
After this phenomena oocured, just restore with
cp /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins.save /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins
and all Your widgets are back in position.

Furthermore I have noticed the hildon-home (also hildon-desktop) to drain battery sometimes. Check with conky, top, htop. If hildon consumes about/over 5% Cpu for more than a few seconds, it is time to kill...

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
But I get out of this with
sudo killall hildon-home
or sometimes need also a
sudo killall hildon-desktop (99% no reboot necessary)
while this does temporily fix the problem it doesnt get the root cause which is the widgets (specifically ones coded in python IIRC). so restoring your widgets will just put you back at square one.

whats that they say about the definition of insanity? something about trying the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

calendar home widget crashed mine

I'm just fedup! I just want a proper fix for this. In pr 1.2 everything was fine and smooth.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by bujingai View Post
calendar home widget crashed mine
Same here. However, this happened only once to me and i've been using nicolai's widget for months. So i think it was probably a combination of things and not one widget in specific.

I have a lot of widgets running and hildon home crashing only happened once. I also had the widget disappearance syndrome but that stopped happening a while ago when i became a bit more careful with number of widgets running.

Tags
bada rox, dam problem, dam trolling, facepalm