Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
iDont: Any reason the busybox you chose to package is so tiny relative to the one on the first post of this thread? (Well, I know WHY - it's because you included less commands in your compile; but why did you do that? Or, at least, could you also compile a more command-complete version [closer to the one in the first post] with the same patches? Normally this wouldn't phase me but while colored ls is wonderfully helpful, some of the onboard commands in the first post's busybox were the reason I committed to installing your debs, thinking you had the same command list - normally I'd dig up the commands/binaries I wanted myself, and not complain about this since I can just compile a busybox to suit my needs if I needed it that badly, but it was conveniently here in a self-installing deb. That said if you're not interested in packaging a bigger busybox with the same patches, I can understand that too.)

My other request though, more for all users, is that you package your busybox binary deb completely without symlinks. Even without me running any of the symlink debs, the main one symlinked over my tar-gnu, and possibly other stuff I haven't notcided yet and I had to manually undo that. Minor inconvenience, but inconvenience nonetheless.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Originally Posted by iDont View Post
I packaged up the latest stable busybox release based on Nokia's original debian/ source files. I've reviewed the patches Nokia included in Maemo's original busybox, pulled updated ones from Debian Sid, and ported some of the original patches when no updated ones were available for the latest busybox release (see the file debian/patches/series in the attached source for additional comments).
Maemo's .config file for busybox has been checked and updated against the newest default config from the new busybox release too.

The result should be a drop-in replacement for Maemo's busybox without losing any (patched in) functionality

Do note that the package identifies itself as being version "3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5" instead of "1.18.4". This had to be done because Nokia made mp-fremantle-generic-pr explicitly depend on that version, causing dependency problems when installing another version. Nonetheless, you should see "BusyBox v1.18.4 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)" when starting busybox.

To prevent the new busybox from being 'updated' to the old one when running apt-get upgrade, run a shell script containing:
Code:
for x in busybox busybox-symlinks-busybox busybox-symlinks-console-tools busybox-symlinks-dnsutils busybox-symlinks-ifupdown busybox-symlinks-iputils-ping busybox-symlinks-net-tools busybox-symlinks-procps busybox-symlinks-psmisc busybox-symlinks-realpath busybox-symlinks-time
do echo -e "Package: $x
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001\n" >> /etc/apt/preferences
done
Click here to download the precompiled debs, and here to download the sources.

Warning: You should experience no problems after replacing Maemo's busybox with this one. However, considering the essential role of the shell I can not guarantee anything. Some brief testing and a few reboots didn't reveal any errors though

Update: I forgot to port shell-hist.patch, a patch in Maemo's busybox that fixes this bug. All patches from Nokia are now incorporated in the latest busybox release found in this post (linked packages + source are updated)

Update 2: A patch has been added to not complain about uninitialized variables (see this). Also, as a bonus, the amount of saved lines in the shell history is increased from 15 to 100; for more details look here.

P.s. for those who run dpkg -i *.deb to install the packages: the packages busybox-dbg and busybox-symlinks-binutils aren't required to be installed.
The 2 download link in your post are the some as on page 1 because that link wont work

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Mentalist Traceur: I've splitted up your post in a non-chronological fashion to be able to reply in a better way to seperate points; I hope you don't mind that

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
iDont: Any reason the busybox you chose to package is so tiny relative to the one on the first post of this thread? (Well, I know WHY - it's because you included less commands in your compile; but why did you do that?
Even without me running any of the symlink debs, the main one symlinked over my tar-gnu, and possibly other stuff I haven't notcided yet and I had to manually undo that. Minor inconvenience, but inconvenience nonetheless.
Both of the above symptoms are because of the same reason: that's how Nokia has decided to configure & package up BusyBox.

I've based my build on Nokia's default .config file while the OP probably built it using the stock BusyBox configuration (which has got a lot more features enabled). That's why less commands are included. Furthermore, as I've reused Nokia'a original packaging for BusyBox the resulting debs are a drop-in replacement. The downside however is that Nokia did put a lot of symlinks in the 'non-symlink' package, which get pulled into my packages too then.

If you wonder why I want to be as close to Nokia's configuration/package as possible: the primary purpose of my package is to provide an updated busybox, not to provide an enhanced version.

Maybe I should start a different thread with a proper introduction to my packages. I got the slight feeling I'm more or the less hijacking this thread. Expect a separate thread later.

My other request though, more for all users, is that you package your busybox binary deb completely without symlinks. Even without me running any of the symlink debs, the main one symlinked over my tar-gnu, and possibly other stuff I haven't notcided yet and I had to manually undo that. Minor inconvenience, but inconvenience nonetheless.
This can't be done as a lot of symlinks belong to Nokia's original busybox package. When it gets replaced by a binary deb without them, you'll lose all default symlinks like bin/mount (!). Two possible solutions would be to either
a) split all symlinks from Nokia's original packaging into a separate package.
b) create a symlink-free deb which can be installed next to Nokia's original busybox and overwrites /bin/busybox.

Unfortunately, both solutions are undesirable. The first one doesn't comply with Nokia's original packaging, causing breakage when updating BusyBox from a different source than me. The second solution is simply generally a bad idea.

Or, at least, could you also compile a more command-complete version [closer to the one in the first post] with the same patches? Normally this wouldn't phase me but while colored ls is wonderfully helpful, some of the onboard commands in the first post's busybox were the reason I committed to installing your debs, thinking you had the same command list - normally I'd dig up the commands/binaries I wanted myself, and not complain about this since I can just compile a busybox to suit my needs if I needed it that badly, but it was conveniently here in a self-installing deb. That said if you're not interested in packaging a bigger busybox with the same patches, I can understand that too.)
Compiling a more command-complete version is no problem, I just can't package it up because of the reasons mentioned above.

I've put some effort in enabling most (almost all) of BusyBox' default features while not conflicting with Nokia's original configuration. The resulting more command-complete binary is available here. You can simply replace /bin/busybox with this one. The binary is exactly the same as my earlier posted binaries/sources (read: all patches included), but compiled with an enhanced .config file (which is attached to this post). Enjoy

Originally Posted by Gill T View Post
The 2 download link in your post are the some as on page 1 because that link wont work
My packages differ from the build from the first post. The build on the first page doesn't include all of Nokia's patches (at least nothing indicates that it does). Furthermore, my package is compiled with Nokia's default configuration file, which got way less enabled than the build from the first post.
You can PM me in Dutch if this isn't the answer you're looking for.
Attached Files
File Type: gz config.maemo.tar.gz (6.1 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by iDont; 2011-05-05 at 12:19. Reason: upload new .config to fix DNS issue

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Mentalist Traceur: I've splitted up your post in a non-chronological fashion to be able to reply in a better way to seperate points; I hope you don't mind that

Both of the above symptoms are because of the same reason: that's how Nokia has decided to configure & package up BusyBox.

I've based my build on Nokia's default .config file while the OP probably built it using the stock BusyBox configuration (which has got a lot more features enabled). That's why less commands are included. Furthermore, as I've reused Nokia'a original packaging for BusyBox the resulting debs are a drop-in replacement. The downside however is that Nokia did put a lot of symlinks in the 'non-symlink' package, which get pulled into my packages too then.

If you wonder why I want to be as close to Nokia's configuration/package as possible: the primary purpose of my package is to provide an updated busybox, not to provide an enhanced version.

Maybe I should start a different thread with a proper introduction to my packages. I got the slight feeling I'm more or the less hijacking this thread. Expect a separate thread later.

This can't be done as a lot of symlinks belong to Nokia's original busybox package. When it gets replaced by a binary deb without them, you'll lose all default symlinks like bin/mount (!). Two possible solutions would be to either
a) split all symlinks from Nokia's original packaging into a separate package.
b) create a symlink-free deb which can be installed next to Nokia's original busybox and overwrites /bin/busybox.

Unfortunately, both solutions are undesirable. The first one doesn't comply with Nokia's original packaging, causing breakage when updating BusyBox from a different source than me. The second solution is simply generally a bad idea.

Compiling a more command-complete version is no problem, I just can't package it up because of the reasons mentioned above.

I've put some effort in enabling most (almost all) of BusyBox' default features while not conflicting with Nokia's original configuration. The resulting more command-complete binary is available here. You can simply replace /bin/busybox with this one. The binary is exactly the same as my earlier posted binaries/sources (read: all patches included), but compiled with an enhanced .config file (which is attached to this post). Enjoy

My packages differ from the build from the first post. The build on the first page doesn't include all of Nokia's patches (at least nothing indicates that it does). Furthermore, my package is compiled with Nokia's default configuration file, which got way less enabled than the build from the first post.
You can PM me in Dutch if this isn't the answer you're looking for.
Warning!

The above busybox segfaults! Do not use!

Perhaps it is my system (I doubt it though) but the above enhanced busybox binary simply segfaults. Dunno why but it does, you may want to check it iDont.

Cheers any way bro!

This has been fixed, now ignore.

Last edited by vi_; 2011-05-03 at 14:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
op: That is one problem about not putting the thing in a package and then in extras and etc... darktl.com is down and there's no way (except for me compiling it again) |:/

I really want a busybox with as many features as possible (it sucks not having this or that anytime you don't have internet), but...

Anyway, thanks. I hope someone else be able to do that again and upload to extras...

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
WARNING!

The above busybox segfaults! Do not use!

Perhaps it is my system (I doubt it though) but the above enhanced busybox binary simply segfaults. Dunno why but it does, you may want to check it iDont.

Cheers any way bro!
It is a permissions problem. HUGE thanks for reporting! It seems like my host removed the executable flag etc from the binary.

Edit: The post got updated with a new link. I've downloaded, extracted, and replaced busybox' binary on-device to be 100% sure all is OK now .

Last edited by iDont; 2011-05-03 at 12:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
@iDont
Could you compile at fully complete busybox same as the one posted on 1st page?
Same with Temporal I would also like to have as much commands available as I could less I don't care if it would be of nokia's default config or not as long as it wouldn't brick my device lol!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Please could you include getopts in your newly-packaged-up busybox?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Almost forgot - please also add the patch for priority to swapon, if you could!

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Oh I do mind. I mind so much. I mind more than how much I would mind if -yeah it's fine.

I've based my build on Nokia's default .config file while
to provide an updated busybox, not to provide an enhanced version.
Makes sense. I mean, I basically figured, but I wasn't able to figure out the symlink thing, until you said the below bit:

This can't be done as a lot of symlinks belong to Nokia's original busybox package. When it gets replaced by a binary deb without them, you'll lose all default symlinks like bin/mount (!).
I keep forgetting that the apt-get/dpkg system will have pre/post -rm scripts to undo things like symlinks, and so updating one package to a version without them won't just leave the symlinks in place.

Agreed.

Not sure I see why the second solution is a bad idea though - not as the only .deb package, but as an optional one instead of replacing the default one. Also, the only bad thing would be if stock busybox updated, as it would override yours, no? And if Nokia ever released another update for this phone, all that would take is another release on your end, which you'd have to do anyway at that point, no? The other bad consequence is if someone apt-get --reinstall 's the busybox package they need to also reinstall yours - and having an identical package could reduce the cases when reinstalling the stock one is necessary.

Works just fine for me. I already do so much manual replacement/placement of binaries into my N900, this is just one small thing to add to the list of post-reflash changes.

Will do and thank you. Really, much appreciated.