Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
I guess it will be impossible to find out as Nokia are unlikely to have released that sort of information but just going by posts on various forums it does seem to be common enough to indicate something in the 10-20% range.
Not sure how you came to such number. Pure wild guess based just on your feelings? See also this
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1600#post71600

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Not sure how you came to such number. Pure wild guess based just on your feelings? See also this
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1600#post71600
More of an educated guess rather than a completely wild one.
I've read a few forums that discuss the 770 and the wsod gets mentioned so often that is must be more prevalent than just isolated rare cases.

If I just took the Woot example you mention obviously not all of the 8000 woot buyers are going to bother posting on that forum that they got a wsod so the 40 that did are just a fraction of the numbers that actually did get the wsod. Just what fraction they represent is open to conjecture.
Also not everyone who gets a wsod knows that it's a design flaw - they might think it happened because they dropped the device or installed some software or whatever so they're also unlikely to report it on a forum. Furthermore any interest a user may have in a 770 forum or 770 thread would probably die with their 770 so again they may be unlikely to return and report a wsod.

Like I said I'm just making an educated guess based on how often the wsod gets mentioned where the 770 is being discussed. Even from that woot example I'd say it's safe to say it's more common than just one in every 200 units although my guess of up to 20% is probably way too high. It may transpire that closer to 10% of units is a fairer guess but in the absence of any verifiable data then it can be argued any way one wants depending on the position one wants to take.

If I just took the Woot example you mention obviously not all of the 8000 woot buyers are going to bother posting on that forum that they got a wsod so the 40 that did are just a fraction of the numbers that actually did get the wsod.
Hmm, somehow I think Woot buyers are special and most of them would post problems to the Woot forum. But this is just a wild guess based on how I think Woot works.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Like I said I'm just making an educated guess based on how often the wsod gets mentioned where the 770 is being discussed.
IMO one cannot make educated guess based on that. You see only those with the problem (and some of them even don't have real WSOD) but you have absolutely no data about the (silent) majority who doesn't have the problem.

Hi guys,

I'd be grateful if you keep us updated with your repair experiences. I'm thinking of going the ebay route for a replacement 770 and it would be very useful to know if Nokia will repair the units if a WSOD occurs .

Thanks.

Well, good news from me anyway.

Like I said, the woman in the Nokia repair centre expressed concern that the 770 was from another country. I told her Nokia have an EU wide warranty, she sent it in with what I had said mentioned on the repair sheet, and yesterday I got a text telling me to pick it up.

Totally repaired, she said they'd replaced the screen. I only hope they know what the problem was and that it won't happen again. I just installed the 2007 HE OS on it and it's great!

and Scumm VM is so perfect on this, I can't believe how fun it is to play Monkey Island on a tiny little handheld with so much battery life!

Update:

After 4 weeks, several unproductive calls to Nokia Ireland Customer Care (based in Scotland), and still no Nokia Ireland representative calling to my home to collect my defective Nokia 770 (as continually promised), I got very very mad. I Every time I rang it was like I was reporting my 770's screen problem to them anew. have never come across such a disfunctional customer care department! At one point I made an official complaint (10 days later and Nokia's complaints Dept have not gotten back to me).

Finally, after extracting a promise from a customer care agent that a Manger would would personally resolve the problem, Nokia's service agents in Dublin phoned me the following day. The day after that they arrived at my front door and swapped my defective 770 for a new 770 - which is mine to keep.

I guess good things do come to those who wait, and wait, and wait, and wait.....

eorpach

just got WSOD on my 4 months old 770. have to give a call to nokia canada (usa?) to figure out whats my option

Well - I'm a woot buyer - got the wsod on my original unit. Dug through the nokia website and sent it it. Got my replacement about 4 weeks ago - after about 5 weeks without it. Last night the replacement white screened!

REALLY like the unit but I most definitely wont trust another. I'm going to wait for the 810 to hit the streets. Or maybe Apple will finally bring out the long rumored tablet.

Holding my breath...

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lewisville, TX
Mine failed after only a couple of weeks. If you can get your hands on a replacement screen, they are quite easy to replace. Maybe you can get one someplace. It's definitely the screen itself in most cases.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Here's my experience with a WSOD 770. I bought mine in July from Expansys Finland and it WSODed at the end of September. I contacted Nokia Support through their web form and they replied that I should find the nearest Nokia service. They gave me an address from were to find a service. Since there aren't any Nokia Service Points in my town, I picked one Nokia dealer which I knew has sold ITs (I bought another from them in August). At first they were a little reluctant to take it since they hadn't sold it, but by politly asking, they took it and sent it to their service.

After about three and a half weeks later they phoned me that the device had been returned unrepaired. The service claimed that they can't repair it, since it "has been manufactured outside of EU and it has different parts as those manufactured in EU". This wasn't true since the device was made in Estonia.

I contacted again Nokia that I would like them to repair it, since according to Finnish consumer legislation, the consumer may choose to make claims to parties earlier in the product supply chain (meaning either the importer or the manufacturer). This time Nokia replied that the device is not covered under warranty. I replied to them that, according to the consumer legislation, warranty hasn't got anything to do with their responsibility as a manufacturer. They kept on e-mail after e-mail. Finally they seemed to understand and told that I should take the device to their service. The service would then decide if they repair it at their cost.

I had also contacted Expansys but I got their answer only after arguing with Nokia. Expansys replied that I should send the device to their Swedish address and they would send it to UK to warranty repair. The only problem was that I would have to pay the postage myself (which again according to Finnish consumer legislation I should not).

I chose to send the device to Expansys since they clearly promised to repair it. I sent it in the beginning of October and got it back 7th of December. Well, actually I didn't get the same device back since the WLAN ID has changed. So they didn't repair it, but replaced it.

Now everything is going well, except that I fear that the new device may be one of the possibly defective ones also (made in Estonia, WLAN ID quite near to that of the original one). So I now try not to power it off at all. I already installed OS2007HE, which makes the device almost as good as N800.