Notices

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ leigh-on-sea, UK
i have a better question... Why would there be more apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to amebes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Paraphrasing:
I need more money! Why aren't there more money in my wallet and my bank account?

saying that look at all the apps for apple and android alot of them are free and if not most have been cracked to make them free .

not enough support from nokia ,their top phone on the market atm and no support direct from nokia or development

even if they released some cheesy iphone type apps to get the phone noticed then development might move forward from private companies or individuals

ppl still cant believe this phone doesnt support mms out the box

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
saying that look at all the apps for apple and android alot of them are free and if not most have been cracked to make them free .

not enough support from nokia ,their top phone on the market atm and no support direct from nokia or development

even if they released some cheesy iphone type apps to get the phone noticed then development might move forward from private companies or individuals

ppl still cant believe this phone doesnt support mms out the box
Yeah! Why would Nokia want to start copying the iPhone now?

I mean, they only turned their tablet line into a decrepit phone. Nice computer, lousy phone.

And then abandoned the one brand new segment they pioneered, in those Internet Tablets and their OS.

Well, at least Nokia didn't try to lay down an iPhone store clone!

...what? Ovi?

Oh right.

Nevermind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Yes please more apps are needed......i'm no programmer but if someone could make apps similar to Easy Reject and Advanced Device Locks that would be great!!!!!!

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I will post something because at the moment there is (404) beside the tittle that could suggest Error 404 regarding to amount of apps

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
ovi store currently under going maintenance again but i'm not getting any hopes up for new content or improvements to maemo version of store.
http://store.ovi.com/

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Ups.. kind of Error 404 anyway, sorry for this forecast

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by amebes View Post
i have a better question... Why would there be more apps?
That's actually a really good question, even though I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant in the way I'm going to use it...

Let's take a look from the point of view of a developer. Here's a couple of reasons someone would feel compelled to develop for any platform:
  • Money. Not much to get out of an app developed for the N900, is there? The fee for putting your app into the Ovi store is much too high for the low number of actual purchases that are going to be made (which, to a certain extend, is just Ovi's fault, since it keeps potential customers from buying with it's endless bugs, potentially insecure payment and non-acceptance of a huge amount of CCs and other payment methods).

• Prestige. No, not the movie, but the thing that a lot of us ultimately seek. That warm, fuzzy feeling when someone says "Thanks for myApp, I like it!" - that warm, fuzzy feeling that easily gets extinguished by the various "Free software is shitty software!" and "What do you expect from an app written by a single person?" threads and posts here on the forums.

• Range. Writing an application that no more than 5 users are ever going to use seems to be a waste of time. The sad thing is, there ARE quite a few maemo 5 users out there, but with that ever-sickening talk "Maemo was stillborn!" and "Nobody is using it, anyway!" that's not exactly encouraging. Maemo is by far not dead, but all this talk of it BEING dead will eventually really kill it - thanks guys.

Note how only the first one is actually Nokia's fault - the other two reasons are this very community killing any potential developer's interest in developing for this OS.

Well, there's hope we'll get our share of Qt apps once development for Symbian3 and MeeGo has started (see? No reason to declare maemo dead), but for the lack of apps specifically designed for maemo you can congratulate yourselves to a certain amount.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
I remember some time ago there was a blog about quality and quantity of apps. Right now community has a lot of useful apps and we only need high quality games such as Zen Bound , Angry Birds and Tower Bloxx

It happens to crapple app store same is happening to Android with its 70k apps. . Here is a quote form Engadget's user about android store

Yeah it's just a shame that most of the apps are copies or very similar to other apps. For instance, I searched the market for "live wallpaper" and there was an app for every country in the world, showing it's flag moving as a background. Why not just make one app and choose the flag within the app? It sucks having to scroll through a bunch of crap to get something good, thanks to Android being open. It's not Google's fault, but the stupid overseas developers.
That being said we are lucky to have quality apps and not just some copy crap

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software