Closed Thread
They didn't say anything about their own core applications. I hope their e-mail client will be open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I don't know if there is some way to see more than 9 covers.
The design is for a maximum of 9 covers at a time. It wouldn't really work to try downsize them further, and both vertical and horizontal flicks are already taken (for navigation and cover actions respectively).

There will most likely be a way to show what else is running, but this is not yet realized.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
The design is for a maximum of 9 covers at a time. It wouldn't really work to try downsize them further, and both vertical and horizontal flicks are already taken (for navigation and cover actions respectively).

There will most likely be a way to show what else is running, but this is not yet realized.
How about if the ninth cover was replaced by one with "more..." on which, when clicked, launched a 'task switcher app' that can be scrolled and display all running apps?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Marc in the interview with JollaFr said about adding an additional page to display open apps and I would think that's the most desired solution.

After 9 apps the remaining end up on 2nd page and so on. It also gives you an option whether you want to minimize to 9 apps or to keep it at 4 apps which I honestly prefer much more on my N9 even though I've to scroll a bit more...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
From the running apps screen (= Multitask view = Home), they said they would add additional screen(s?) below. See the UX principles.

Marc Dillon in an interview with Jollafr.org:

Q: Can Sailfish run and display more than 9 apps at the same time in the multitask view ?

R: Marc Dillon and his team thought about it since the Slush, and they think that the easiest solution would to allocate new pages to display more applications, like in the application launcher pages. It is as simple as swiping from top to bottom to browse all the opened applications.

Edit : too late...
Edit 2 : Clarified my explanations

Last edited by Jordi; 2013-02-28 at 14:54.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Jolla avoids US market because of the patents mess. The hardware is going to be "gorgeous".

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/03/jolla-ceo-interview/

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-03 at 18:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Jolla avoids US market because of the patents mess. The hardware is going to be "gorgeous".

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/03/jolla-ceo-interview/
I knew it! They are working on the disc phone. Finally!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Quite well-written article, TechCrunch does their homework pretty well. Personally I wouldn't read much into the "hw will be gorgeous" comment.
It must be competitive not just in terms of BQ/Design, if it's a top-end $ device, then the core specs need to at least be "bottom top-end".
Throw in 1-2 unique/compelling hw aspects + a competitive display, & it could start to gain a strong (albeit nascent) following...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-04 at 06:19. Reason: typo

The article is quite good, except the part about assuming that Jolla / Sailfish is placed against Mozilla / Firefox (name wise). I think it's reading too much into it.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yeah thought that was a bit weird too, didn't think it had truly solid/factually-based foundation.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open