Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
a) After slowly reinstalling every app I found what I think caused the conflict with sliderotate for me - and it seems like slidelock was the guilty culprit (slidelock auto locks the screen when the keyboard is closed even if you have used the keyboard since it was opened).

After installing slidelock sliderotate stopped working. It took another reflash and re-install of sliderotate to get it to work again (I still can't get it to automatically go to portrait mode when keyboard is closed though..hmm..) - this was all without the SSU update. I later installed the SSU and the functionality that I had in sliderotate was untouched.

b) Would you PLEASE create a new thread for the SSU project with a subject that makes more sense and request it to be stickied here? Also that way with a thread creator that is active here things like the first post can be continously updated.

Thanks for the great job, will continue to see if I see anything odd in this SSU and am looking forward to the next where, I believe, we will all get cake!
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Last edited by silvermountain; 2010-05-16 at 03:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Here you go.
(Probably another in a long line of ignorant posts.)

I've searched for a bit, and there's no "stable" Community SSU (vs. community-testing)?
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
true, right now its still testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
+1 for creating a new thread.

Also some pointers on what actions need to be taken if the osso-software-version-rx** has been removed would be really appreciated.

eg. taken from the wiki:
If the update doesn't show up for you at all, you may have accidentally (or intentionally) uninstalled osso-software-version-rx*4, which is required to update. You can get it back by simply running an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx34, for the N800, and an apt-get install osso-software-version-rx44, for the N810. Then updating your repository list in Application manager.

If the packages that caused osso-software-version-rx*4 to be removed are still installed, they will need to be removed completely (in the case of conflicting packages). Alternatively, for packages which are simply newer than those specified by osso-software-version-rx*4, you can install osso-software-version-rx*4-unlocked, which does not have strict dependencies.

Last edited by Saturn; 2010-05-16 at 02:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I waited a while to report this since I don't use my tablet that much but I think (and I may be wrong) that the SSU reduces battery life.
I have to say that I never had great battery life with my n800: when it was new I got max. 2 hours of use, now, with a non OEM battery, I have around one hour.
With the SSU in place the battery life is around 40 minutes, with the same kind of activity (browsing with tear and reading rss with the integrated reader).
Top doesn't reveal any evident cpu hog.
Of course it could be that the battery has deteriorated further, but the drop in capacity happened right after installing the SSU.
I accept suggestions about good enough non nokia batteries on ebay

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by luca View Post
I accept suggestions about good enough non nokia batteries on ebay
Forget about ebay batteries. Buy a Mugen one (search the forum), they last at least as long as Nokia ones.
About the battery drain, make sure you didn't have metalayer-crawler disabled and now it is running.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
how would one check for and enable/disable metalayer-crawler?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by cstryon View Post
how would one check for and enable/disable metalayer-crawler?
Open up the terminal (X-Terminal) and then use the top command to see if metalayer-crawler is running.

If you wish to properly remove it and you have the ability to gain root (via rootsh, easyroot, et al) then type:

update-rc.d metalayer-crawler remove

and you will disable it. It means that you will have to manually load any/all media into your media player and you will not (now) get shared files on other shared drives. But you can manually add those... I just hate the fact that metalayer-crawler continuously polls those locations, thus the battery drain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Regarding metalayer: I saw the earlier comment by you in this thread about that, and tried the command (as root) but saw it still running in top.
This post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=149492&postcount=2
suggests an additional command:
/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop

Maybe issue the 'stop' before the 'remove' ?

This post indicates that perhaps metalayer isn't really such a big deal:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=183101&postcount=9

But this tool is probably better than a command line for controlling whether metalayer is running or not:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21330

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the tool in the last link have a bug where it do not set the correct priority when enabling services.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo