Active Topics

Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by U.ser View Post
the sensed un-googlized rumered htc bravo , the same spec +sense UI and an uglier design
Oh so you mean a new maemo smartphone without a hw keyb? eeiiiww

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
They funniest part about this poll is that 16.42% of the people on this forum own / prefer a moto droid over the N900....but have an account and hang out in the Maemo.org forum . . .

I think we have some some N900 lovers that are trapped in the closet
What's funnier: fanboys who can't understand that people have mixed feelings about platforms, instead of seeing them as black&white all-or-nothing type situations ... and thus lack the intellectual capacity to understand liking maemo enough to stay on maemo.org, but preferring a particular android device over a particular maemo device. Ok, maybe that's more pathetic than funny.

(though, the motorola droid/milestone isn't the android device I'd pick over the N900)

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Ok, maybe that's more pathetic than funny.
YES. It's not funny. It's just sad.

I think the droid looks better than the N900, it's slimmer and larger screen.

But I still prefer maemo over Android, most android apps are java based, and access to the command line is not as open as maemo. And with the N900 I get the Nokia build quality, the Nokia specs which means a good camera, good GPS, good speakers etc.

The problem I find with android devices is each device runs the same core OS BUT the h/w depends on the manufacturer - for example the speaker on the HTC hero is crap and it's only mono. Droid has stereo and is better.

Android is more and iPhone competitor and as such very simple and easy to use.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I think Droid is also good and mature than Maemo5. Also Driod 2.1 is fantastically good. Nexus One is already out and running it. Nexus one is $699USD but has 1GHz snapdragon and 512MB of RAM in it, it does feel like a desktop to me. Also it has the largest flash ROM for the OS than any other Device out there right now. N900 is only 256MB ROM.

Would have been better with 512MB, we would be much better with more free space to not worrying about limited space for updates lol. But no keyboard is no go factor too. Camera is also the same spec. Battery life is 6hours with moderate use on Nexus One, I think. Seems like it drain a lot of battery of 1400mAh isn't enough juice for it to sux dry. 600MHz is enough i think. But more RAM can never go wrong with N900

How does the Droid look when you add a chrooted Debian?
(see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44894)

THE ONLY let down of the droid / milestone is the word "motorola" before it..... otherwise, it would've been in my left pocket right now

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well I have the Milestone for this weekend and I've played around with it only for a houple of hours. Here are some of my initial observations and opinions:

- I love how slim this phone is. However, the slimness didn't feel like such a big relief I thought it would be. The N900 is not too thick after all.
- the keyboard is OK, and I think the N900 keyboard has received a lot of undue criticizm. Sure it is great to have a few extra buttons, but the key shortcuts in N900 make it a dream to use. For example, you can't "select all" with the keyboard. You must hold shift and paint.
- even this "raw" Android looks really good and unsurprisingly has that finished feel to it. I like the general look of it and its consistence. After PR1.2, some terrible sides of the Maemo UI have been revealed. For instance the/Skype video chat/looks really bad slthough it/works like a charm!
- this browser is nowhere nearly as good as MicroB and in fact/typing this post has been quite cumbersome. Pinch to Zoom requires that I move focus away from this text field and as I tap back in, it always tends to move so that I can't see this entire box at once. Really missing MicroB now.

I have a few observations more, but they'll have to wait because I simply can't go on for longer with this keyboard and browser.

This is turning out to be quite an eye opening experience of all the/features that the N900 is constantly being bashed for not having or having implemented them incorrectly, such as the resistive screen vs capacitive.

Originally Posted by cjp View Post
- even this "raw" Android looks really good and unsurprisingly has that finished feel to it. I like the general look of it and its consistence. After PR1.2, some terrible sides of the Maemo UI have been revealed. For instance the/Skype video chat/looks really bad slthough it/works like a charm!
I simply can't go on for longer with this keyboard and browser.
Raw? Please explain

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Raw? Please explain
I only mean that it is the stock Android without an additional UI such as the SenseUI. I'm running Android 2.1. on the device.

Had to jump back to my N900 to get a taste of something I'm used to.

Now this is no final verdict, but I think there's something about the web browser experience on the N900 that I might not be able to cope without. The Android browser opens pages up very nicely, but I can't stand the "touch" or "mobile" versions of sites. I want everything as it is. I'm also missing my device being connected to the internet all the time, eventhough there's nothing in particular I want to do online! Go figure.

Somehow I suddently felt like I had nothing to look at on the Web with the Milestone browser.

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900