Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Atrix 2 for 100 bucks on contract? OMAP4 with a gig of RAM and working Skype video?

Nice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
It's not 100 bucks. It really is 600, the other 500 is covered in your plan when you are forced to join. Lucky for me its much more simple to these costs out thanks to the plans out here (Australia), they're much fairer and cheaper.

Btw, I dont think anyone should upgrade to the Atrix2 when compared to the competition or cheaper offers.

I think the best phone in 2011 was the original Motorola Atrix 4G.
You could've bought that phone for $840 outright and enjoy using it from Feb to November. That's NINE MONTHS and the phone would still be up there among the best.

And the current best is only marginally better say the iPhone 4S or SGSII. The Tegra2, although inferior, blazes fast with the gig of ram. The gpu is "good enough" and there's heaps of battery life. The cameras are great (1080p@30fps) and the screen is gorgeous. Not to mention the heaps of storage (thanks microSD) all in a good form factor. They've also managed to cram some nifty features (fingerprint scanner, HD-dock, WebTop/Laptop).

If I can get one today for $350 outright, what reason would I pay $800 for a 16GB iPhone 4S ??

(and now remember the ICS/Galaxy Nexus should be available in mid-November, which means the iPhone 4S will be behind the curb in a month, and it will keep falling further and further behind the curb for the entire ~11 months)

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
It's not 100 bucks. It really is 600, the other 500 is covered in your plan when you are forced to join.
Here's the thing about that... if I buy my phone outright, I STILL get the same rates for services. Ultimately, you get a FAR cheaper phone if you simply subsidize it--with the only true downside being that you are then forced into a contract that says you can't leave for a pre-determined period of time (some 2 years, some 1 year). I know Sprint used to give me the option to choose No plan, 1 year subsidized and 2 year subsidized for just about every device--but Verizon only offered me a 2-year plan with my Droid and for any other phones they kept trying to get me to upgrade into. The main point being--you don't actually pay any less if you don't subsidize.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Oh right--and TWO MORE DAYS until the big event on Wednesday!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Here's the thing about that... if I buy my phone outright, I STILL get the same rates for services. Ultimately, you get a FAR cheaper phone if you simply subsidize it--with the only true downside being that you are then forced into a contract that says you can't leave for a pre-determined period of time (some 2 years, some 1 year). I know Sprint used to give me the option to choose No plan, 1 year subsidized and 2 year subsidized for just about every device--but Verizon only offered me a 2-year plan with my Droid and for any other phones they kept trying to get me to upgrade into. The main point being--you don't actually pay any less if you don't subsidize.
Only in America.

I pay $17.95/month not locked to a contract. Get about $400 of credit (or 400 minutes) which is plenty for me. Calls and text to same network are free. Free voicemail to send/receive. SMS is 25c each to send, receive free. And I also get 1.5GB of 3G (surprisingly fast) downloads...LTE is just about to roll out on Telstra

If I paid that for 2 years = That's $430!
$430 + cost of phone = total price with the freedom to stop/upgrade anytime.

Now I'm a bargain hunter, so if there is a (lets say SGSII) phone that rrp for $650, I end up buying for under $480, so I really squeeze out every cent ($910 total).

The price of a comparable plan = $49 per month (phone is free).
And this is (best case scenario) therefore total cost = $1,176 and that is $266 more expensive and locks you in (early termination fees).

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Oh right--and TWO MORE DAYS until the big event on Wednesday!
Actually 10pm EST Tuesday! Looking forward to the ICS announcement.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/s...on-october-19/

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It's not 100 bucks.
Notice I did say on contract... and I've no reason to switch away from AT&T, nor do I gain a damn thing if I switch to anybody else. Only T-Mobile is GSM here in the US.

I have to truly suggest that you learn other regions than your own.

Btw, I dont think anyone should upgrade to the Atrix2 when compared to the competition or cheaper offers.
qhD Screen. 1gb of RAM. Access to Flash Player 11. Will be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. OMAP4 whereas others are still OMAP3 *cough*Nokia N9*cough*

I think the best phone in 2011 was the original Motorola Atrix 4G.
Agree. In fact, it's my phone at the moment. And I paid only $174 USD out of contract for it - don't ask, I just have a good knack for pestering folks.

Only in America.

I pay $17.95/month not locked to a contract. Get about $400 of credit (or 400 minutes) which is plenty for me. Calls and text to same network are free. Free voicemail to send/receive. SMS is 25c each to send, receive free. And I also get 1.5GB of 3G (surprisingly fast) downloads...LTE is just about to roll out on Telstra

If I paid that for 2 years = That's $430!
$430 + cost of phone = total price with the freedom to stop/upgrade anytime.

Now I'm a bargain hunter, so if there is a (lets say SGSII) phone that rrp for $650, I end up buying for under $480, so I really squeeze out every cent ($910 total).

The price of a comparable plan = $49 per month (phone is free).
And this is (best case scenario) therefore total cost = $1,176 and that is $266 more expensive and locks you in (early termination fees).
While I can appreciate that you probably think you're being helpful by suggesting all of this--none of that matters to gerbick, who is in the USA.. to which you are making these suggestions that don't matter. :P

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
qhD Screen. 1gb of RAM. Access to Flash Player 11. Will be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. OMAP4 whereas others are still OMAP3 *cough*Nokia N9*cough*
Hey! I thought it was forbidden to talk of hardware specs and support around here! Watch it or you'll have an angry mob of Nokia geeks on your tail!

Dan, you never fail to impress.
Besides I wasn't making suggestions about phone contract because the system I do here is not possible there (from what my Yankee friends say). Everyone is pretty much forced into a contract, apparently.

Anyways only 28 Hours to go!
(then probably another 20 days before you can get your hands on the product)

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy