Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Elleo: I quickly compiled your git tree and tested on device, unfortunately it seems not beeing able to play any songs, it browses the lists quite nicely and artist graphics comes up. So some tweaking is still needed.

Small improvement hint would be in PageStack disable backnavigation back to login page, or use replacepage. (And there is continiously running animation on the login page eating cpu (animation disable after succesfully login would be nice, or remove login page from pagestack)).

re, Jonni
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Elleo: I quickly compiled your git tree and tested on device, unfortunately it seems not beeing able to play any songs, it browses the lists quite nicely and artist graphics comes up. So some tweaking is still needed.
That's interesting, thanks for giving it go. It's just doing some pretty standard raw audio output via QAudio (which works fine on other platforms), so I wonder if the problem isn't with the emulator but with QAudio in general as an output mechanism on Sailfish. I'll have more of a poke later.

Small improvement hint would be in PageStack disable backnavigation back to login page, or use replacepage. (And there is continiously running animation on the login page eating cpu (animation disable after succesfully login would be nice, or remove login page from pagestack).

re, Jonni
Yeah, a lot of the QML still needs converting and polishing, I've basically just done the minimum amount to get it into a usable state so far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
After playing with GStreamer a bit at the command line it'd appear the emulator does support sound, but that Sailfish doesn't support any raw audio codecs via QAudioOutput, so I'll just rewrite that section to use GStreamer instead of QAudio.

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
There definitely should be an applications that (as many has already mentioned) could change the default "out of screen" swipe gestures. As in N9, I wan't to use them as kind of shortcuts as well to specifig needs that I have for the device.

Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
After playing with GStreamer a bit at the command line it'd appear the emulator does support sound, but that Sailfish doesn't support any raw audio codecs via QAudioOutput, so I'll just rewrite that section to use GStreamer instead of QAudio.
Seems I can't use GStreamer directly and still distribute it through the Jolla store, so I may just have to pester Jolla in to fixing their QAudio implementation :/.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
We need a mapping app with
-locally stored map data (Jolla's current implementation uses Here cloud and requires internet connection which makes it unfortunately almost unusable for travelers)
-voice guided turn-by-turn navigation (currently there is no voice guidance which makes the app unusable or actually deadly dangerous to be used while driving)

I have a bad feeling that this will not be fixed by Jolla (Jolla Maps development is outsourced).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I wonder why they went down this route for mapping in the first place. According to their interview in zdnet, they mentioned that mapping providers were aplenty and all offering similar rates so why not go full on with Nokia and ask them to licence Here Drive too like it seems will be done on tizen.

As of now, the mapping application seems pretty mundane and Sygic won't work till GPS for Android apps is not enabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
-locally stored map data (Jolla's current implementation uses Here cloud and requires internet connection which makes it unfortunately almost unusable for travelers)
-voice guided turn-by-turn navigation (currently there is no voice guidance which makes the app unusable or actually deadly dangerous to be used while driving)

I have a bad feeling that this will not be fixed by Jolla (Jolla Maps development is outsourced).
I wonder why they went down this route for mapping in the first place. According to their interview in zdnet, they mentioned that mapping providers were aplenty and all offering similar rates so why not go full on with Nokia and ask them to licence Here Drive too like it seems will be done on tizen.

As of now, the mapping application seems pretty mundane and Sygic won't work till GPS for Android apps is not enabled.
Mapping is a service, that sits in a wrapper (the app) and features are enabled or not given what the level of service is (APIs). Given HERE's potential licensing terms that Jolla agreed to, there might be a few things which aren't as easy to see at this point.

Therefore opinions about Mapping, have to be put into 3 categories:
- what are things happening in terms of the experience of the app (not the content of the maps) which need improvement (UX of app)
- what's happening in the content of the map(s) which are great/needs improvement (UX of services)
- what features should/shouldn't be enabled; which of these might require some kind of premium component that SailfshOS might/might not support right now (in-app purchasing of things like nav aids, voices, offline support etc.) - (UX of APIs)

Yes, we kind just want things to work right from the baseline that the previous device(s) came from. Its not exactly realistic given the "starting from scratch" nature of Jolla. Therefore feature requests versus UX preferences are going to be a bear to understand - at least from this initial 450 folks who have a device in hand.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
As already mentioned elsewhere, I am porting modRana to Sailfish.

And by porting I mean it will still work on & be released for all currently supported platforms but will now also work on Sailfish.

ModRana currently uses tiled map images for map display. Tiles are downloaded from the Internet when viewing the map and stored locally. There is also support for batch downloading tiles for a given area.

I have also plans fro implementing proper vector based map rendering, but unfortunately no timeline fort that just yet.

ModRana does turn-by-turn online & offline (using Monav) navigation. So as long as I can get Monav & Espeak (or equivalent TTS system) working on Sailfish, it should work there too.

Last edited by MartinK; 2013-12-02 at 00:04. Reason: fixing typos

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
This really deserves it's own thread, & is probably not entirely on-topic here, but see this: Play Store for Jolla
(my absence didn't last long, ugh....)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish