Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Yep agreed, said same thing in my post, if it's a proprietary-ish standard, then it'll still have to be supported unfortunately, as Google is a "big" part of the web.

Since Google wrote that they support CalDav for "whitelisted" developers, I'm sure Jolla can contact them about it to get on that list.

https://docs.google.com/a/google.com...viewform?pli=1

I don't think they should spend time on any proprietary APIs.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-18 at 04:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Since Google wrote that they support CalDav for "whitelisted" developers, I'm sure Jolla can contact them about it to get on that list.
They can contact them is a big difference from they would be white-listed. Also the trend seems to point that not now but in 1-2 years surely Google will say even for the white-listed developers its being shut down and Google Calendar API is the new norm. This is simply how things work so its pretty valid to ask Jolla how deep they would be able to support this necessary evil for many people...

Also regardless of you thinking whether they should spend time on proprietary APIs this is a necessary evil due to the sheer userbase so frankly your opinion is worthless for those people who are deeply integrated in such services and want them on an OS if they are to switch to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Google aren't known yet for developing closed standards - that would be a new plague. If they plan to open it up it would be better.

I mean there is no point in working on proprietary APIs if Google offers an option to use open ones. If they close it up - then there will be a reason. So far they either pretend, or mean that they aren't closing them.

Update March 15, 2013: We worked with the developers who provide 98 percent of our current CalDAV traffic to assure access to the CalDAV API, which means many popular products will not be impacted. We remain committed to supporting open protocols like CalDAV.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-18 at 04:25.

I'd like to see Sailfish ported to Galaxy S4. I prolly will be buying always better hardware than the previous smart phone, so nothing less wouldn't make it.

I can as well install CyanogenMod to S4 to get open source system and lots of good efficient Android apps.

But I would surely like to try Sailfish in a S4, even perhaps pay for it, if it would be good and Android apps would work also.

Has this been here yet?
ST-Ericsson goes bust.
http://nokiagadgets.com/2013/03/18/s...a-be-affected/

Maybe the reason for delay or more delays to come?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
"as TI has also informed it will be leaving its OMAP platform."

Huh?

/e seems i slept in 09/2012.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-03-18 at 16:38.

Yeah, that was expected, but Jolla didn't say whether it'll affect their first release or not. I guess if they'll be delayed - they'll announce it.

Sorry for more off-topic, just saw another sign that something is seriously wrong with Google:
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...bble-20130318/

Most of Google’s chat services over the years have been cobbled together from sealed off manipulations of an open chat platform called XMPP. The service is flexible, scalable, and has served Google well for quite a while. Google’s recent decision to block non-native XMPP requests is the first step towards building their own closed communications platform. In order to use Google’s chat service, especially the new Babble service, you’ll need to be using it the way Google wants you to use it. That’s not going to sit well with many users at first, but the quality and performance of the service will be more than enough to make most users happy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Yeah, that was expected, but Jolla didn't say whether it'll affect their first release or not. I guess if they'll be delayed - they'll announce it.
Thing is, Jolla phones was already delayed by ~6 months. Reason could be this.

Sorry for more off-topic, just saw another sign that something is seriously wrong with Google:
http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...bble-20130318/
Not really been fan of Google for past months. They have been closing some of their services and in general using their dominant position in internet. Similar to what MS had/has on desktop.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open