Active Topics

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post

Top 3 are gonna get a 50%, 30%, and 20% share of the categories share of the bounty which is 1/6 of the total bounty.. confused yet? :P

Also Nokia has promised to fly the 1st placed winner to the MeeGo conference in Dublin Ireland, accomodation and flight paid for. If the winner cant go, they'll substitute a new N900.. which you can then pawn if you like! I still have nightmares about this cos if something happens with Nokia and they don't come through I will probably be lynched...
Maybe I'm still a bit confused
So the first winners of each category will be invited to the MeeGo Conference 2010 and plus will win the 50% of the bounty?
If it is so, I would suppose that is better to have 4 winners for each category.
The first one (of each category) wins an invitation to the MeeGo Conference 2010 (or a N900) and the bounty will be splitted only with the other first three (2nd,3rd,4th).
What do you think about?

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b0unc3 View Post
Maybe I'm still a bit confused
So the first winners of each category will be invited to the MeeGo Conference 2010 and plus will win the 50% of the bounty?
If it is so, I would suppose that is better to have 4 winners for each category.
The first one (of each category) wins an invitation to the MeeGo Conference 2010 (or a N900) and the bounty will be splitted only with the other first three (2nd,3rd,4th).
What do you think about?
I think it's a good idea but it's waaaaay too late to discuss it

I wrote several pages back before the competition entry ended that it's going to be a 50%, 30%, 20% breakdown unless I hear feedback otherwise. But no feedback came

I can't see how we can change this now that the competition has started. What if I change it, and the winner comes knocking looking his 50% share.. refuse him?

This really needs to have been decided long before the competition went into voting stage

Edit: Ive had a few PMs suggesting the same thing, also I would like to spread it more. The bounty has been larger than what we expected.. dont forget we started with $50 Can it be changed?

Edit: Ok I tell you what, the first page of this thread says :

"In addition, we have a bounty to award the developer(s) of the best overall apps. If you would like to add to the prize fund please see this post, reply/pm me and let me know, or contribute directly"

The wiki says :

"Also there will be a prize fund into which the community will be able to donate. If you would like to add to the prize fund please reply here[9].. $5, $10, anything would be gratefully received. Why not sponsor your favourite category?"

The only place that says 3 prizes is the voting threads I changed today, but maybe I made a mistake and assumed 3 places. There's nothing in the wiki or first page that states that to be the case.

Im going to start a poll, and I want you to work with me on this. Everyone. You're going to decide the split. I'll run it the rest of today and tomorrow. And that will be it.

So tell me, what options do you want on the poll? Here's your first three for starters:

* Each of the 6 main categories gets a equal share of the total bounty. Split 50%, 30%, 20% to places 1, 2, and 3.

* Each of the 6 main categories gets a equal share of the total bounty. Split 50%, 30%, 20% to places 2, 3, and 4 (as Nokia are covering the main prize. What are you going to do with teams, Nokia are sending one person..?)

* Each of the 6 main categories gets an equal share of the total bounty. Split 35%, 30%, 20%, 15% for the first 4 places.

Edit:
A fourth, compromise option

* Each of the 6 main categories gets an equal share of the total bounty. Split 50%, 30%, 20% to places 2, 3, and 4 as we're expecting Nokia to cover the first place prizes. If for some reason Nokia does not cover this, we'll revert back to 50%, 30%, 20% for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Ok everyone, what options can you come up with? If i sound stressed about this, I am!

We need this sorted out like yesterday, so please get your thoughts in now. Im starting a poll in 2 hours

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-24 at 19:12.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Eesh, what a dilemna. I personally would like to see all the developers that entered the contest to get some share of the award but I know that may not be possible.

For the first place problem, why not make it so that they can either choose the cash price or go to the Meego conference?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Ohm... are Nokia sending the first place from each category to the MeeGo Conference?

Now I'm confused. I had the opinion we have to select from the winner of each category a overall winner for the whole contest. Number 1 out of the 6 categories and this one is invited by qgil and nokia. And not 6 people.

Am I wrong?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
This is better for code portability but they should have done this change before releasing 1.0.0 not after.
FWIW Nokians stated that QtMobility 1.0.0 was more of an alpha/beta, not a stable release, rushed to be in tandem with PR1.2. And you don't want to know how much poking/annoying it took from me personally to have 1.0.2 finally released - because I reckoned the more time passes with 1.0.0, the harder the transition to the 'proper' API will be (I'm certain that there are people throwing darts at my image because of that ).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
In other news, I would encourage authors who have uploaded their apps to extras-devel to push them to extras-testing. That way we will avoid unnecessarily exposing people to extras-devel, and also you have good chances of getting tester feedback and promotion to extras proper.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
In other news, I would encourage authors who have uploaded their apps to extras-devel to push them to extras-testing. That way we will avoid unnecessarily exposing people to extras-devel, and also you have good chances of getting tester feedback and promotion to extras proper.
About mine: LastGo is already in extras-testing, while mSoma is still in extras-devel. I still have to optify mSoma, but the executable is just ~200Kb. If it's not too much for /usr/bin I'll promote it to extras-testing and I promise to optify it for the next release.
LastGo - Last.fm client for Maemo/MeeGo

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Eesh, what a dilemna. I personally would like to see all the developers that entered the contest to get some share of the award but I know that may not be possible.
Yeah.. it would be spread far too thin and the paypal fees for each transaction would kill it. We have around 50-60 projects, you'd be talking about awarding a couple of bucks by the time the bounty is spread out.

For the first place problem, why not make it so that they can either choose the cash price or go to the Meego conference?
Cos it'd be like a choice between $80 and a trip to Ireland :P

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-07-24 at 20:30.

Originally Posted by helex View Post
Ohm... are Nokia sending the first place from each category to the MeeGo Conference?

Now I'm confused. I had the opinion we have to select from the winner of each category a overall winner for the whole contest. Number 1 out of the 6 categories and this one is invited by qgil and nokia. And not 6 people.

Am I wrong?
I hope you're wrong

Cool initiative!

What about this: the winner of each category will be invited to the
MeeGo Conference with travel and accommodation covered. If someone can't
make it then we can offer an N900 in exchange.

Quim Gil
open source advocate
MeeGo Devices @ Nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Beginners contest thread is now up

System & Utilities is done and ready, except Im waiting on FlipClock team to confirm what upgrades and work was done during the competition period. I have PM'd both jolouis and Spenc3 but neither have replied or confirmed my read receipt as yet

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post: