Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Somehow there are volunteers for DropBox and OneDrive but not for open-source CalDAV.

Regarding issues, I have no idea. I don't use any of them.
Yet you have no idea why there is no interest in fixing it?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
That was exactly aegis's point. Somehow there are volunteers for DropBox and OneDrive but not for open-source CalDAV. After all the noise we've heard in this thread alone about the goodness of open source.
No, that was Jolla work. Not some volunteer from the community.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
ExFAT is not only Microsoft, but ExFat is also requiring royalty payments.
As does Exchange support if I'm not mistaken. I'm welcome to be corrected here but didn't Google drop ActiveSync support because they had to pay Microsoft to use it?

That's not to say they shouldn't pay for or implement proprietary tech but the "It's proprietary" excuse used by many rings hollow. As I understand it, it wasn't Jolla using that excuse at all but that's what the idiots on TJC were using as a totem to hang their argument on.

I would guess the same idiots are ok with DropBox, Facebook, Whatsapp and any number of centralised proprietary systems...as long as they're getting them for "free".

And if you're offended by being called an idiot in the broad sense I'm using, you're being an idiot.

Dropbox OTOH does not require royalty payments.
And that's how you get sucked in to proprietary solutions that may not have your security or privacy at heart, change their T&Cs at a whim or whip the service away with API changes, partner agreements or being sold to a bigger proprietary solution.

I appreciate these proprietary solutions may be commercially a good idea for Jolla to implement so that it's one less pain point for people who aren't as "sensitive" to the issues and just want to send files to each other but at one point Jolla were "Unlike" and I'm not sure what that means if the services the phone supports aren't.

Anyway, weren't the remainig CalDAV issues supposed to be fixed with 1.1.9?
When it's released I'll have a look properly but I'd be surprised. Each release they say they've fixed something in CalDAV yet my simple test of adding an entry on my Mac, which syncs to CalDAV fine never makes it to my Jolla, makes it but is 1 hour out, disappears on the next sync or vanishes when you edit it on the Jolla. It's got better - at one point you couldn't even get a list of calendars.

I watch the github buteo_sync pages hoping that one day there's a bug fixed for "Apple's CalDAV" or similar but there's never that much activity. It doesn't seem to be high priority even though it was IIRC top three on TJC before they declared it "implemented". I don't know which CalDAV implementation it supposedly works on but it's not OwnCloud, SabreDAV or iCloud.

If not, you should be more precise on what's broken.
Ah, isn't the CalDAV implementation open-source, btw? Volunteers?
I've looked at the code myself but a) it seems to be spread over many projects and b) I'm not a C++ coder and really don't have the time.

Also, I'm not sure it's entirely the back end that is the issue as setting up the account in Sailfish's accounts UI is a frustrating affair whereby if you get something wrong you have to delete the account and start again. Syncing itself seems to be opaque with no indication in the GUI it's doing it either manually, automatically or at a timed interval. Of course, nobody can touch that bit as that's closed.

However, if anyone does want to have a look at buteo I will set up free hosting of a CalDAV server for them to test. Since v11.50 of cPanel (I run a cPanel based web hosting company), they've included built in CalDAV and CardDAV support which is based on a SabreDAV backend. It even supports auto discovery of CalDAV & CardDAV so setting it up for Jolla users, if implemented, should be as simple as just entering in the main URL of the server, not ports, principals or paths.

Anyway - back to discussing Sailfish 2.0 form rather than function....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
That was exactly aegis's point. Somehow there are volunteers for DropBox and OneDrive but not for open-source CalDAV. After all the noise we've heard in this thread alone about the goodness of open source.
Actually, no. The point I was making was that Chris Adams, who I'm unfairly singling out here and mean absolutely no malice, is a Jolla employee/contractor whose key area is the Buteo Sync framework that is the back end for CalDAV/CardDAV.

Expanding it to add DropBox and OneDrive is fine by me but FFS fix the existing protocols first.

Also, I would imagine that if Jolla had opened up the accounts API and UI by now somebody else would have written a DropBox, OneDrive, WhatsApp, SIP, EverNote, InstaGram, Flickr, Spotify or whatever plugin already. Why isn't this available in Sailfish 2.0?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I watch the github buteo_sync pages hoping that one day there's a bug fixed for "Apple's CalDAV" or similar but there's never that much activity. It doesn't seem to be high priority even though it was IIRC top three on TJC before they declared it "implemented". I don't know which CalDAV implementation it supposedly works on but it's not OwnCloud, SabreDAV or iCloud.
Funny, because CalDav works well on my phone. Have you a link to the TJC bug report ?

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
Funny, because CalDav works well on my phone. Have you a link to the TJC bug report ?
Notice @aegis didn't mention CalDAV but "Apple CalDAV"

Chris does a pretty good job imho. Ok, it takes too long to see progresses, but they come. For instance, he told me the bug with Google Calendar when getting on/off line, will be released in the 1.2.1. That's too long, for sure, but Chris works, and let you know on TJC, that's great.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
Which server implementation?

TJC is not a bug reporting tool but I raised it January 7th 2014 - https://together.jolla.com/question/...ts-explicitly/

but just search for CalDAV and you'll get another 204 'bug reports'.

I pulled out "Apple CalDAV" because it's how the Mac's Calendar, Reminders and tasks are implemented. And for Contacts, Apple uses CardDAV. I mean, why wouldn't they - they co-wrote the IETF spec and MacOSX Server ships with their open source Darwin Calendar server.

Oh, and it worked perfectly on the N9.

Originally Posted by romu View Post
Chris does a pretty good job imho. Ok, it takes too long to see progresses, but they come. For instance, he told me the bug with Google Calendar when getting on/off line, will be released in the 1.2.1. That's too long, for sure, but Chris works, and let you know on TJC, that's great.
Absolutely. I wasn't calling out Chris here on his work. He commits to a huge number of projects so he's obviously very busy and perhaps spread too thinly. I was expressing concern that he's giving himself MORE work perhaps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Yet you have no idea why there is no interest in fixing it?
is there option to write own account plugin for Jolla and try it or the way to patch and fix CalDav and try on Jolla?
Because there is huge difference between apply fix for mer bug that will end up "someday soon" on Jolla, with no option to test and you'll need to set whole mer enviroment to do it so you can test it. And developing might not be the most straight forward and not exactly noobie friendly(some people can code, but they might be not good at devops btw)

Last edited by ZogG; 2015-09-18 at 13:59. Reason: typos fix

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
is there option to write own account plugin for Jolla and try it or the way to patch and fix CalDav and try on Jolla?
Because there is huge difference between apply fix for mer bug that will end up "someday soon" on Jolla, with no option to test and you'll need to set whole mer enviroment to do it so you can test it. And developing might not be the most straight forward and not exactly noobie friendly(some people can code, but they might be not good at devops btw)
Yes, usually you can checkout the code from the repository, build on Sailfish SDK and install the resulting packages on your device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: