Notices

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Well, you can hardly help with fixing the tearsync without the patch. Here it is (together with yuv420 as it modifies same file in same parts)
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/2.6.16.yu...t-working.diff
It compiles fine but I didn't try the result on device.

I would personally prefer that the bulk of mplayer development go into n800 dev work. I think it has far more potential as a multimedia platform than the 770. I hope other app developers (for things which don't need the extra horsepower of the n800) continue to ensure 770/n800 compatibility in their apps where appropriate.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I suspect that the law of diminishing return now applies to the 770, and that investing substantial amounts of time in order to squeeze out a slight performance improvement that is specific to the 770 platform is probably not worthwhile, however improvements that benefit both platforms is most certainly worthwhile.

I wouldn't say that 770 specific improvements should not appear in mplayer, just that any such improvements may benefit less users than if the same time were invested in improving performance on the N800.

My view is that the 770 is limited by it's CPU rather than the graphics subsystem, whereas with the N800 it's the exact opposite - good CPU but a poor graphics subsystem. Thus there is more scope for tuning on the N800 than the 770.

As a media platform the N800 wins hands down - 16GB+ of potential storage compared to the 770s maximum 2GB for starters!

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Well, you can hardly help with fixing the tearsync without the patch. Here it is (together with yuv420 as it modifies same file in same parts)
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/2.6.16.yu...t-working.diff
It compiles fine but I didn't try the result on device.
Thanks
I would have gladly waited a week or two for the patch, just as long as it is released eventually.

As for 770 development, I won't ask that anyone devote significant development time toward it, but easy or significant improvements would be welcome. I feel that tearsync would be a significant improvement.

using .17 seems to have slight jerks at points in the video compared to the previous version on my N800. Anyone noticed this or perhaps its just me?

Luke

Originally Posted by sdrman View Post
As for 770 development, I won't ask that anyone devote significant development time toward it, but easy or significant improvements would be welcome. I feel that tearsync would be a significant improvement.
Yes, and YUV420 mode fix was the easy one :-)

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
My view is that the 770 is limited by it's CPU rather than the graphics subsystem, whereas with the N800 it's the exact opposite - good CPU but a poor graphics subsystem. Thus there is more scope for tuning on the N800 than the 770.
Well, I'm not sure CPU in N800 is that much better than in N770 so it would matter. Best output with less energy spent (i.e. longer playback time) is with converted videos anyway. And N770 can play converted videos in good quality just fine.
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
As a media platform the N800 wins hands down - 16GB+ of potential storage compared to the 770s maximum 2GB for starters!
Again converted videos do not take so much space so you could fit few videos to watch on a train. At home you can stream from home network so space doesn't matter much. And I guess MMC standard will move to >4GB sizes too. Also even now you can boot from flash and swap more cards if you want to have more videos on longer trip. Also (with one line kernel hack) you can use 4GB MMCplus card without closing the door for storing videos. Not useful for normal usage but for watching videos it is OK.

So basically while N800 is better, N770 is good enough as a mobile video player. I have N800 but don't plan to ditch N770 anytime soon, we could use both devices in our family. Also N770 development is (almost) dead on Nokia side so in this sense the device is more free than N800. With N800 your work may be silently duplicated inside Nokia or made obsolete by some other Nokia decision. IMO the risk of doing useless work is higher with N800 than with N770 despite the fact that older device will be obsolete sooner.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
Hello,

does anyone know how this codec can be aded ?
(even a link src to compile will be a good hint)

The problem's output is bellow. Maybe someone can help (find helpful this post).

$ mplayer -ac ac3 MyMovie.avi
MPlayer 1.0rc1-maemo.17.n800 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: ARM
[MENU] Can't open menu config file: /home/user/.mplayer/menu.conf
Menu inited: /etc/mplayer/menu.conf

MyMovie.avi.

AVI file format detected.
VIDEO: [DX50] 616x254 12bpp 25.000 fps 862.2 kbps (105.3 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Software: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2366/release)
SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
SUB: Read 832 subtitles.
SUB: Adjusted 28 subtitle(s).
SUB: Added subtitle file (1): ./MyMovie.srt
[nokia770] Nokia N800 hardware detected
================================================== ========================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Forced audio codec: ac3
Requested audio codec family [ac3] (afm=libac3) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x2000.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...

Thanks

Mihai

Originally Posted by iancumihai View Post
does anyone know how this codec can be aded ?
(even a link src to compile will be a good hint)
In debian/rules in mplayer source line 63:
Code:
		--disable-liba52 \
Deleting this should build mplayer with this codec. I won't explain how to compile mplayer for n800 because I don't know how to do it properly. (I've been commenting out the device selection conditions. I'd really like to know the right way to do this.)

EDIT:
MPlayer-1.0rc1.tar.bz2 is found at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.17.n800.diff.gz is found at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mplayer

Just tried this and it compiled, have not tested yet. Is this the right method?
> tar xvf ../MPlayer-1.0rc1.tar.bz2
> gunzip mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.17.n800.diff.gz
> cd MPlayer-1.0rc1/
> patch -p 1 -i ../mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.17.n800.diff
(change debian/rules)
> export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=n800
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

Last edited by sdrman; 2007-06-05 at 01:59.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
MPlayer packages can be built by running 'make deb-n770' or 'make deb-n800' for convenience. Sources can be obtained by applying patches that are available in garage mplayer downloads area to the corresponding upstream mplayer (full tarball would exceed garage file size limit). Alternatively you can checkout mplayer from garage SVN, it is usually in a good shape and very rarely broken.

As for liba52, I disabled it long ago when experimenting with Nokia 770. Don't remember exactly why (it either had problems when compiled for ARM and crashed or was using floating point math and couldn't decode anything in realtime). Anyway, feel free to experiment with AC3 support and report the results. Patches can be submitted to the mplayer garage tracker.