Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
How about if we have a laptop plugged into the projector and tested, plus Xephyr set up for people who want to show off applications?
I remember that last year there was supposed to be a "standard" PC that everyone used for demos/presentations, but everyone kept bringing up their own. The key to whatever we choose is sticking to the plan... Last year, I was assuming that I'd have a PC plugged-in, but when the previous presenter was leaving the stage, he began taking his PC with him. Thankfully, he let me keep it plugged in to use!

Tim

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
First speaker confirmed for Day 1 of Maemo Summit 2009: Ari Jaaksi, VP, Nokia, Maemo Devices on "Maemo - yesterday, today, and tomorrow".

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
The only thing which will probably be different this year compared to last year is that last time was more or less first come first served, and this time I expect that there will be a good bit more interest, and we will probably over-subscribe the 2 days of talks. I'm not overly concerned, just wondering whether that might reduce the effectiveness of using the wiki.
There is a loop between sessions approved, speakers sponsored and interesting schedule creating buzz and confirming registrations of attendees. All this also creates a snowball effect to have more sessions proposed and more potential participants.

This loop invites to have a rough schedule sooner than later, comprising at least the popular topics that will be there no matter what and the popular speakers that will be approved almost no matter what.

What about aiming to have 50% of the schedule filled following the same lousy but really efficient system used last year? This will allow us to give a first shape to the agenda that would inspire e.g. newcomers to submit their proposals. This would allow help us to get a bunch of speakers approved, booking their travel expenses at a cheaper price.

Of course we need to avoid weak sessions submitted by early birds (a real risk if scheduled session = sponsored travel to Maemo Summit). This means filtering by someone, being able to move proposals from the schedule to a waiting list. I think the Council (and/or whoever else they decide) can do this work.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
40min is quite a long time for a presentation unless it's a keynote.

I'd suggest 30min total, i.e. 25min talk + 5min questions, and just make sure we stick to it and don't overrun.

For the lightning talks, we should differentiate between the true lightning talks (i.e. the sort of talks about someone's plans, which might take 5-7min to talk + a few minutes for questions/comments) and the short presentation types, which might be 15min talking + 5min questions.
Right I agree on that 45 minutes is a little long

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Well, foo... I checked with American Airlines and while I have the required miles, they say they don't support flights from DFW to AMS using miles. Looks like I may miss this one too.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Well, foo... I checked with American Airlines and while I have the required miles, they say they don't support flights from DFW to AMS using miles. Looks like I may miss this one too.
Do check nearby airports, including neighbouring countries. Brussels for example is ~ 2:30 away by train (which takes you right to the centre of the city) and the Schengen treaty means you don't have to deal with additional border controls etc.

Or even Paris, then we can go together by TGV :-)

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Or get sponsored?

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, Texrat, you're eligible for sponsorship this time...

Tags
maemo summit, maemo.org, reefer madness