Active Topics

Poll: What do you think about n900 price
Poll Options
What do you think about n900 price

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
This is what Nokia is aiming for:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...blackberry.ars

"According to Modoff, RIM and Apple are taking 35 percent of the industry's operating profits despite only accounting for three percent of all handsets sold worldwide in 2008. When split out, he puts Apple at 20 percent of the profits and RIM at 15 percent. He estimates that 2009 will be even better for the two companies (and worse for everyone else)—they are expected to grow, together, to five percent of the market in terms of units and make 58 percent of the total operating profits."

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Samsung reckon sub-$100 Android phones will be hitting the market in 2010. So the N900, is it overpriced? Absolutely - I can get a full laptop for less than the price of an N900! The N900 is, technically (and very loosely) a shrunken N810 with phone module and updated OMAP processor... can the smaller size and phone module justify double the price? I don't believe it can. The economics of the smartphone market will soon be redefined when the cheap and highly functional Android touchscreen phones start to appear, and I look forward to that happening as this is price gouging, pure and simple.

And while the N900 may be priced on the assumption it will be subsidised by the network operators, as I and many others buy our phones SIM-free we are getting well and truly shafted.

I'm disappointed the N900 wasn't priced as something of a loss leader to be honest, but I guess Nokia has to avoid undercutting their old pieces of sh1t, like the N97.
The market is not going to change too much when it comes to prices. High-end devices are high-end devices. If you want better CPU, you pay more. If you want better camera module with better lense, you pay more. If you want better build quality, you pay more. Etc.

If you want $100 smartphone, you're welcome to choose cheap Symbian or cheap Android phone, but there's a reason why the prices are low.

It's totally stupid to compare laptop prices and phone prices. Apples and oranges.
And btw. your N810 doesn't have e.g. a 5MP Carl Zeiss camera.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Samsung reckon sub-$100 Android phones will be hitting the market in 2010.
I guess you could make Maemo run on a sub-$100 device, too. That would be no N900, though. The question is who would want to own such a device ? Crappy hardware is crapy hardware, no matter how many shiny shoe-OS-polish you apply.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
the price is more than reasonasble i paid more for a n96 and n97 what as less capable hardware running s60,
i think maemo community should think of thereselves as being lucky instead of moaning about price
btw on expansy if i want a iphone 3gs without contract i have to pay over £900 so price of n900 is nothing compared
http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183742

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-08-29 at 14:57.

This poll is misleading because there is no single price of the N900, it's going to be a wide range of prices depending on where you buy it and under what terms you buy it.

It's launching for $700 unlocked in Europe, but all high end phones launch for about $700 unlocked in Europe. The iPhone is $700 in Europe if you buy it unlocked.

The unlocked price in North America will probably be less than $700, as electronics in general is usually about 25% cheaper there compared to European prices.

And as others have mentioned many (or even most?) people will be paying for this in installments through network operator contracts so the true price will be hidden from them in the monthly fees.

And most Americans don't seem to even know you can buy phones unlocked, so they'll never ever see any unlocked prices anyway.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-08-29 at 15:00.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
the price is more than reasonasble i paid more for a n96 and n97 what as less capable hardware running s60,
i think maemo community should think of thereselves as being lucky instead of moaning about price
btw on expansy if i want a iphone 3gs without contract i have to pay over £900 so price of n900 is nothing compared
http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183742
It doesn't matter whether the n900 price is in line for the 'luxury smartphone' market or even slightly below it if the general maemo community cannot afford it.

ps: omg that's an insane 3gs price. i bought mine for around usd850.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ColonelKilkenny View Post
It's totally stupid to compare laptop prices and phone prices. Apples and oranges.
And btw. your N810 doesn't have e.g. a 5MP Carl Zeiss camera.
5MP lenses, OMAP3 processors instead of OMAP2... components that costs a few dollars, do they really justify a $300+ price hike?

Originally Posted by ColonelKilkenny View Post
Not when Nokia are marketing the N900 the way they are...

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I guess you could make Maemo run on a sub-$100 device, too. That would be no N900, though. The question is who would want to own such a device ? Crappy hardware is crapy hardware, no matter how many shiny shoe-OS-polish you apply.
Android on a sub-$100 phone - if it does pretty much everything the N900 does, how is it that different to the N900? Android is advancing in leaps and bounds, it has widespread device manufacturer support, and ARM-based CPUs are not expensive and becoming more powerful... once a low-price Android device hits the market it will become more difficult for Nokia to get away with charging N-series-type prices.

But why do you equate low-price with "crapy hardware" - because you've become so accustomed to being ripped of at the high end? The iPhone 3GS has a bill of materials totalling $175. Work it out.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2009-08-29 at 15:24.

My best guess is that it will compete with the iPhone, so is likely to have a similar pricing structure. However there won't be a parallel iPodTouch (the n900 sans GSM) at a lower price. It sounds like the numbers are very close between the two in europe.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It's launching for $700 unlocked in Europe, but all high end phones launch for about $700 unlocked in Europe. The iPhone is $700 in Europe if you buy it unlocked.
Are you implying that the retail price is not correlated to the real (development, manufacturing, distribution and profit) cost of the device (any device)?
If so I think you're absolutely right.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
5MP lenses, OMAP3 processors instead of OMAP2... components that costs a few dollars, do they really justify a $300+ price hike?
We do not know what the parts cost. We do not know what does it cost to create a handset. However, we do know that the cost for manufacturer != BoM.

Not when Nokia are marketing the N900 the way they are...
Ok, try stuffing that laptop of yours to pocket.

Android on a sub-$100 phone - if it does pretty much everything the N900 does, how is it that different to the N900?
Depends on hardware, depends on software, depends on all sorts of things (like how open the platform is etc.).
You can get pen and paper with few dollars and do pretty much everything with them as well. It's just much easier to surf on web which you don't have to draw before using it

Android is advancing in leaps and bounds, it has widespread device manufacturer support, and ARM-based CPUs are not expensive and becoming more powerful... once a low-price Android device hits the market it will become more difficult for Nokia to get away with charging N-series-type prices.
You do realize that Nokia has also very cheap Symbian models? Use them or use those low-price Androids from future if you want a low-end device. You won't get low-priced high-end devices because usually companies don't like to make negative profits.

But why do you equate low-price with "crapy hardware" - because you've become so accustomed to being ripped of at the high end? The iPhone 3GS has a bill of materials totalling $175. Work it out.
That's iPhone 3G BoM, not 3GS. And those are estimates. What about manufacturing costs? Logistics? What about support costs? Etc. Etc.

Last edited by ColonelKilkenny; 2009-08-29 at 15:56.

Tags
n900