The wall charger won't charge it either. The data cable does charge it though.
WTF? I'm missing something, or is it plain impossible? Maybe You got broken wall charger? As i understand, USB connection doesn't work, wall charger doesn't work, but when connected to PC start charging? Hilarious, cause to properly charge from PC it must negotiate 500 mA by means of data pins, so they must be OK. Unless You must charge for ~12 hours from empty to full - that would mean it's charging @ 100mA rate and data pins are indeed broken.

That would explain why wall charger doesn't charge at full speed - inability to check if data pins are crossed - but still, it should charge with "normal" speed (500 mA from dumb power source i.e no data pins connected and it's not a PC USB port).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
WTF? I'm missing something, or is it plain impossible?
Other N900 owners have complained here of their devices doing the same. N900s sometimes reach a point where they'll charge via USB cable from a PC, but not from a wall charger. It seems bizarre, but appears to be just part of the fun that is the N900's wonky USB port.

Does it something to do with the community update! My battery charging problem started few days ago.. it was fine .. till I recently visited my house and borrowed my friend Samsung GS 2 charger, and the next morning the phone is dead. I have not been able to charge my phone for quite sometime, but playing around with charger and moving the pin left to right, I can make it charging again, when I connected to pc, the pc recognized but it said insufficient power to recharge my phone when connecting. My phone is still on warrranty, but I am wondering does the warranty cover the pin loosing of micro USB? Does most ppl happening this recently, as far as I know, my pin was loose abit, but it was great and fine, till recently it started to reject it. Wieard.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Other N900 owners have complained here of their devices doing the same. N900s sometimes reach a point where they'll charge via USB cable from a PC, but not from a wall charger. It seems bizarre, but appears to be just part of the fun that is the N900's wonky USB port.
If the charger has a fiddly shunt between D+ and D-, it will not charge, but an USB would. Also, a problem with the cable or the socket, anything that disturbs the D+/D- shunt will make N900 not load. To make matters worse, the charger WILL charge all other devices, few test the shunt. The N900 is the only one I saw.

Get a multimeter and sound the middle pins. If they are not shorted, that's your problem. Alternately, use another wall charger that has the shunt.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You're probably right, but I'm very curious about technical explanation of that phenomena

//Edit
Ops, missed ndi post. Thank You for explanation, suspected something like that...

@hteink.min
Broken USB connector is design fault, and should be good known to Nokia Care. As someone mentioned, sometime You must talk with someone 4 positions higher than person you started to talk with at the beginning, but they MUST fix it, if You still got warranty.

Ho ever, it's highly possible that they will decide that they're not able to repair it, nor replace with new one, and you will got refund. No big deal, cause You can buy new N900 on aftermarket. Someone mentioned in other topic that she/he got 500 pounds refund.

Last edited by Estel; 2011-06-30 at 06:49.

You're probably right, but I'm very curious about technical explanation of that phenomena

@hteink.min
Broken USB connector is design fault, and should be good known to Nokia Care. As someone mentioned, sometime You must talk with someone 4 positions higher than person you started to talk with at the beginning, but they MUST fix it, if You still got warranty.

Ho ever, it's highly possible that they will decide that they're not able to repair it, nor replace with new one, and you will got refund. No big deal, cause You can buy new N900 on aftermarket. Someone mentioned in other topic that she/he got 500 pounds refund.
So should I get rid of the community update, cause my operator told me the warranty only cover with the Geuine Maemo OS, which I have installed community update version on it! should I uninstall or flash my device, I really hate it cause if I have to flash, most of the program i have purchased are not recoverable, for example like the joiku spot.

This should be plain ********, cause CSSU is essentially "installable", this is not flashed kernel. So, they can as good complain about that You've installed fmms or any other app. I know CSSU is much more complicated etc, but N900 is Open Source (at least 3/4) and You can install whatever You want.

Ho ever, if You don't want to fight with operator, install backupmenu, back up Your rotfs + optfs, then get rid of backupmenu, CSSU and other things. After repair/new N900/whatever, You will restore Your rotfs + optfs to exact state of backup moment, so You will have everything except custom kernels and MyDocs (so be sure to backup MyDocs as well manually).

Of course if You've added something outside rotfs or opt (for example, put anything into "/home", except "/home/user/MyDocs", that was mentioned already) You must backup it manually as well.

// Edit

IDK how backupmenu handles CSSU, so just to be on safe side, AFTER You get new N900/repaired one, install CSSU first, then any custom kernels, then backupmenu, then restore backup and You won't lose anything

On side note, of course i respect Your freedom of choice and will gladly help You to preserve Your payed applications, but IMO joikuspot isn't worth missing it. You can achieve same results with quite simple, already published script (100% sure), mobilehotspot open source app (i've not tested it personally) or bluetooth PAN script (also published). the last seems to be the best, cause it drains battery MUCH less, and cause smaller range, it's more secure (any wifi based "hotspot" works as ad-hoc network = it's secured only by weak WEP, given big radius of Wifi, You risk someone breaking to Your small network).

Last edited by Estel; 2011-06-25 at 18:16.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
IDK how backupmenu handles CSSU, so just to be on safe side, AFTER You get new N900/repaired one, install CSSU first, then any custom kernels, then backupmenu, then restore backup and You won't lose anything
It handles it just fine if you don't jump firmware versions: e.g. get a new N900 with PR1.1 and restore 1.3 - the modem firmware would be left behind.

What you should do, if it is 1.2 or lower, is to install the latest PR (1.3) normally, then install BM and restore. It will restore boot config, kernel power, cssu and everything else you had going (documents need restoring manually via PC or SD).

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
@b666m
I have exactly the same problem. wall charger has stopped working pc usb charching is ok, chsrging from a powerpack with the correctly shorted cable also has stopped working and never worked safely.
whats the status of your repair (seems you are also in Germany)

Last update.

I just go my phone back from a licensed Nokia Service Center. They said that the only way to repair the phone is to completely replace the motherboard which is really expensive and i can buy a second hand N900 for less.

I am really skeptical about this since the phone works fine if i use a charged battery with the exception of the device heating up a bit and the battery getting drained faster then usual but there is nothing i can do about it.
Once again, thanks for the help guys