Notices

It's possible - not sure if it's recommended.

Camp using com.nokia.csd.Call /com/nokia/csd/call and trigger Coming to kill whatever you want - but ohmd aready tries to prioritize when a call is incoming. You could always grab the top processes sorted by load/cpu usage and kill it - but you'd lose whatever data was open.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
It's possible - not sure if it's recommended.

Camp using com.nokia.csd.Call /com/nokia/csd/call and trigger Coming to kill whatever you want - but ohmd aready tries to prioritize when a call is incoming. You could always grab the top processes sorted by load/cpu usage and kill it - but you'd lose whatever data was open.
I would say this wouldn't help and could get very dangerous!
If something like MicroB is running there is in the most cases several MB of swap used. And it need's time to fetch more RAM to load the needed parts for the call ui.
Perhaps you could get more slowdown at the beginning because of the cleanup routines after killing the prozesses. So, as hawaii already said, it's not the best idea.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-03-28 at 14:12.

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Just asking..is the phone dialer application always loaded into the ram? if not doing that would help right?? or somehow if we can always keep the phone application open!

or in the next phone nokia can dedicate some ram or something like that to the Phone functions of the N9XX phone ( which will be coming out ) so as to make things faster :/. this will help?

sorry if its been answered before!

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by arora.rohan View Post
or in the next phone nokia can dedicate some ram or something like that to the Phone functions of the N9XX phone ( which will be coming out )
...or a extra processor from a Series 40 phone, only to handle the calls, and 2 simple Buttons at the bottom of the Device.

Simple and cheap solution! Yes, they have to develop how to communicate to this processor... But I would say it should not harder than the handling for the proximity sensor or the camera. And they don't need the software tuning and the not working bad tricks anymore. A solid solution.

They could still use the standard linux part to show a ui, incomming call messages, and so on... but everything handled over d-bus and the driver between. But nothing critical on the software side. Everything else, the "ringtone" and "the Buttons" are hardware side handled inside the cheap Series40 Chip so that we are able to answer a call even if the kernel are running amok!

But dreams could take sometimes a little bit longer...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
know what would be best.. Using a Series 60 touch UI dialer application on Meego... Develop it in QT. and make it run on the 2nd processor and as a Layer on top of the linux OS..so even if the phone is unstable...You can at least pick up calls.. that would be a dream come true for developers also...fudge all you want with the Linux and no need to worry about your calls..

Last edited by arora.rohan; 2011-03-28 at 14:56.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
...or a extra processor from a Series 40 phone, only to handle the calls, and 2 simple Buttons at the bottom of the Device.
How about an old phone, remove keys and everything, leave the red and green, and use the N900 to link to the old phone's BT. Over BT, one can dial, communicate contacts, maintain dialed and logs, the works.

You know, you could have a phone in your pocket and use N900 to link to the old phone via BT. An app could handle everything, but instead of call via GSM modem, call via BT, acting as a car kit.

You're a genius. 90% of my problems, solved. And check out the standby on that baby. And since Phone is no longer needed, we can have an independent contacts app with renaming of numbers and GPS coords.

OMG. That's ... that's IT! Where did I put that N80 with a washed out screen?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Just one word :
Battery.

and why would i want to carry 2 phone when both of them have calling capabilities.

i did this with my Palm Zire a few years ago...it sucked :P

Originally Posted by arora.rohan View Post
Just one word :
Battery.

and why would i want to carry 2 phone when both of them have calling capabilities.

i did this with my Palm Zire a few years ago...it sucked :P
Hopefully the previous poster is joking?

I am starting to think slide to answer may never be a plausible option and perhaps that's why Nokia went with the simple red & green buttons option?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
I installed the deb from post #31 yesterday (ver 0.0.1) and had an update this morning (ver 0.1 I think).

Have I installed the qt-version, when I installed that update? There was a change in the GUI, but it wasn't like the screenshot from earlier in the thread. It was with two thin slides, that was from one end of the screen to the other.

/oxpo

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
Have I installed the qt-version, when I installed that update?
Yes.

Both use the same package name.

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post: