Active Topics

Originally Posted by ajack View Post
I know a girl who used the N900 only because it had Skype on it... ie. an expensive wifi phone...
Did anyone try google voice?

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by excelar8 View Post
Maybe this isn't intuitive for me, but logically doesn't overclocking increase cpu power usage hence decrease battery life? how does it increase battery life?
Please search the forum for that one... basically, the higher clocking doesn't increase power consumption that much (certainly not when running at lower voltages), but overclocking lets the CPU go to power-save mode much faster because the work is done faster. More idle time = less battery use.

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
I've followed this http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=4917 to overclock mine as minimum 1000MHz and maximum 1000 MHz and it's like night and day comparing to before. On top on that, I don't know why but my battery has a much longer lifespan.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Agreed! My battery died on me in less than 12 hours recently
I was on the train for 1.5 hours today, full charge before I left.
Using Pidgin and about 5 browser windows open, full brightness and 3g, the battery was nearly flat by the time I got to my station.

</3

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by petur View Post
Please search the forum for that one... basically, the higher clocking doesn't increase power consumption that much (certainly not when running at lower voltages), but overclocking lets the CPU go to power-save mode much faster because the work is done faster. More idle time = less battery use.
forgot to add this part in my post

Last edited by raaj13; 2011-03-16 at 14:11.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Chesapeake, VA
The stuff the OP mentioned in is post is not all that special. Who in the world would want to run Win95? I understand that it was done because it could be done, but it doesn't mean it's useful to the everyday user. Skype is not special until skype allows us to video chat with any platform user. Not just N900 and windows users. Lastly, Nitdroid is not fully usable (yet). These are just some of the points that I decided to pick on.

What makes this phone so special in the community behind it. The fact that we have dedicated developers that do it for the love of the device is pretty sweet. I was really looking to go back to android after coming to this forum. It just felt like all hope was lost when reading a lot of the negative threads about no more support and then confirming it at sites like engadget and giz. But, I honestly couldn't find an android device that had the build quality of this phone. The sliding mechanism is the best I have ever used. Also, the fact that I have a terminal right out the box is bada**. I can install ssh clients to login to servers or ssh servers so I can login to my phone. This phone is awesome and will always be awesome. I finally found a phone that I like and will not get finicky on for a good while. Just my humble 2 cents.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Killahgold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Killahgold View Post
The stuff the OP mentioned in is post is not all that special. Who in the world would want to run Win95? I understand that it was done because it could be done, but it doesn't mean it's useful to the everyday user. Skype is not special until skype allows us to video chat with any platform user. Not just N900 and windows users. Lastly, Nitdroid is not fully usable (yet). These are just some of the points that I decided to pick on.

What makes this phone so special in the community behind it. The fact that we have dedicated developers that do it for the love of the device is pretty sweet. I was really looking to go back to android after coming to this forum. It just felt like all hope was lost when reading a lot of the negative threads about no more support and then confirming it at sites like engadget and giz. But, I honestly couldn't find an android device that had the build quality of this phone. The sliding mechanism is the best I have ever used. Also, the fact that I have a terminal right out the box is bada**. I can install ssh clients to login to servers or ssh servers so I can login to my phone. This phone is awesome and will always be awesome. I finally found a phone that I like and will not get finicky on for a good while. Just my humble 2 cents.
We should make something really awesome.

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Note for any terminal noobs: Typing "rm -rf /" as root (first post) will delete everything, including the OS. If you're wondering whether to try it, don't.
There are even people who put that in their signature, no offence, but for those under us that don't understand this marvellous phone nor any *nix for that matter, it is dangerous ...

Anyone has the right to buy something they don't use at the fullest,

I'm looking to expand my skills to take advantage of linux. I'm not a programmer either but my profession is IT technician - I can use the command interpreter & write scripts & use vbscript message dialogues.

At school close work manager goes we would VPN through hamachi using PPTP. I've been a Microsoft user all the way from Win 3.1/3.10, NT5.0 SP1/2, Windows95 & WinXP ever since...how fun that was. This N900 is just the ticket to get me interested into linux & hopefully with some help from the community here get linux on my dekstop.

I have to choice between the n900 and the motorola defy...
Itīs too late to by a n900 ? my concern its about the nokia support and the android is more "mature" now.

Tags
awesome, modding