Originally Posted by filologen View Post
I think this is how I did it (do it on your own risk):

1) First copy (as root) the /usr/share/X11/xkb/ directory from chinook to /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook/ (be careful not to overwrite /usr/share/X11/xkb/). The necessary chinook directory is attached in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=441444&postcount=3.

2) Then copy (as root) /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook/geometry/pc to /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/ the following way (one line in the terminal):

Code:
cp -i /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook/geometry/pc /usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/.
3) Now to get e.g. Danish keyboard layout do the following (not as root, also this is one line in the terminal):

Code:
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model nokiasu8w -layout dk
Before it takes effect you might need to press a button on the internal hardware keyboard, then it should work.

Please only do this if you know what all this means.
Thank you for this information, but i have one question:
I also have the su8w from nokia and i already can write with it.
but to get the right layout i will have to change it like written above.
So i have a n900 from switzerland, with ch layout, but i have a german layout su8w as i imagine (€ is included, so i think its german) when i now change the layout to ger, will it also take affect to the intern keyboard or only to the su8w? thank you!

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by moerderameise View Post
Thank you for this information, but i have one question:
I also have the su8w from nokia and i already can write with it.
but to get the right layout i will have to change it like written above.
So i have a n900 from switzerland, with ch layout, but i have a german layout su8w as i imagine (€ is included, so i think its german) when i now change the layout to ger, will it also take affect to the intern keyboard or only to the su8w? thank you!
If you use device parameter in the setxkb command then it will only change su8W layout.

Command must be send every time you connect your keyboard. I posted simple python script on the other thread. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=219

ok thank you. so if i write it like this:

setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model nokiasu8w -layout de

it only will change the layout of su8w.
everytime i connect? wow... so i should use your script for confort.
and your pyton script, how can i use it and what will i have to change?

i'm still learning and unfortunately no crack

Originally Posted by filologen View Post
Thanks VDVsx

The result is:

Code:
Internal keyboard:
Model: nokiarx51
Layout: dano
Delay: 600
Interval: 50

External keyboard:
Model: nokiasu8w
Layout: us
Delay: 600
Interval: 50
It would be very interesting to hear if I am the only one with this problem.
Exactly the same for me.

I have a french Keysonic keyboard (3400 BT).

I still have the same layout as built-in keyboard (french, but with only lower case letters).

I try to activate the layout with
setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout fr
but it still answers it is a us nokiasu8w.

I have some question about installing xkb-chinook.tar : since we copy the 3 useful files into xkb, is xkb-chinook still useful ?

If I try launching xsetkbmap on xkb-chinook, I get an error (Error loading new keyboard description), but , when I launch it on xkb, there is no error message.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
I have looked over this thread and the enabling bluetooth profiles thread trying to get my paired but unconnectable SU-8W to connect. The SU-8W functions perfectly with my N78-3. I am stuck at the "edit the main.conf" part, the first step apparently. I am unable to locate the main.conf when my device is hooked up to my Windows computer in Mass Storage mode. I can locate but I do not know how to open the file to edit it on the N900.

Can someone point me to a step by step instruction for editing and saving .conf files on the n900?

Poking around other threads dealing with configuration file changes I found the following:
I needed VIM or another console editor to be able to do this. I downloaded VIM using the Application Manager on device by searching on the term "vi".
I then did a little research into the commands used with VI. Here is what I did next:
  • Open X_term
  • sudo gainroot <enter>
  • cd /etc/bluetooth <enter>
  • vi main.conf <enter>
  • Moved cursor over "i" of "input"
  • Type "x" several times until "input," is erased
  • Type :
  • Type w
  • close VIM
  • Shutdown N900
  • Reboot N900
  • Go to "Bluetooth Applet" in status bar
  • Select "Devices"
  • Select "Nokia SU-8W"
  • Select Edit
  • Select "Connect"

To test this I opened X-term and typed sudo gainroot <enter>
This was successful. I have tackled the first part of the SU-8W link up. I now have to perform the other steps to get the numerics, capitals and symbols to work.

Note: I had previously successfully paired my N900 and the SU-8W so did not have to perform that step. If you have not already paired them you will have to do that after opening the Bluetooth Applet and before connecting them.

Not to be late about this, but I followed the directions in getting the SU8W (or any bt keyboard to work) and it seems to work well for the most part. I am having problems with the enter key working correctly on my SU8W when the phone is closed. It will either pull up the vkb or not work at all if the vkb is disabled. Another problem is the way it uses ' . Apparently it wants to add accents onto letters and ' must be hit twice to use as stand alone.

I hope better support can be found later for an SU8W. It was an absolutely awesome keyboard to use with my N95 and worked well with my N800 and N810. It would be nice to see the function key mapped (the one that is found on the N95 as the SU8W seems to be designed for symbian phones).

It is good enough for now, but it would be great if actual direct support was added to a future release of Maemo, at the very least, fix the problem with the mappings being wrong when the phone is closed.

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Yes, there's: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

For the record I'll make a simple control panel app for that.
Thanks for the pointer. I forgot how utterly crap the CLI experience is and how I loathe UNIX as a result. Wrestling with Vi earlier brought it all back, like a half-digested taco - When I bought the N900, I didn't at first realise how relatively uninsulated you are from it. At least with a BT keyboard I can type away without thumb contortions.

I like it a lot for what it does, but I still frequently wonder why I'm in a CLI on a damned phone.

Hi

I am trying to connect my old SU-8W kb to my new N900. I followed some examples from some web sources... ie... select pair device on N900 and then type code in the KB followed by enter and I can get the device to connect initially but then it seems to "lose" connection and the Keyboard appears to reset itself (ie the Bluetooth light and power light flash every 3 secs or so). It works fine on my old E61. And Ive seen some dazzling dems on You tube of it working on the N900.

Most frustrating.

Anyone have any pointers? Am I missing something?

Thanks.

This is typed on my SU-8W. I am very thankful for all of the hard work and thought folks have put into this. I stand on some pretty solid shoulders here.