Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
How are the cameras generally on SE phones?
On my SE K850i, 3.2MP camera, it was superb.

Much, *much* better than anything I've experience from a Nokia phone so far.

But I'm expecting great things from the N900's camera.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by jjx View Post

Well, but it really depends. K (and C) series is the Cybershot series, and it usually have better cameras. The K850i was on par with the N95, better in some details and worse in some others.

The W (walkman) an T (regular) usually have not-so-fancy cameras. Not too bad, just average for phones.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
What? You never seen the Xperia X1 concept/adverts showing off its panels interface? They were equally as smooth but in reality it was not even close and omitted the several seconds of delay before each panel actually loaded.
lol, man i just found this thread. Let me warn ANY one trying to get a the Sony X3/X10... STAY away from it. Sony can care less about their customers or what they think. Read all the thread about the case cracking and how many times people have had to send their device in only to get it back and it still cracks. Mind you i got mine back and it still ahven't cracked (knock on wood). I too fell for the advert showing off its panel interface. The Xperia X1 design looks nice, but that is where it ends. Sony dumped the X1 so fast that i really don't know what to do with my x1 and also makes me wonder how long before they also dump the x3/x10. One thing on he x1 that REALLY pisses me off is the way the bluetooth cuts off. I have 2 BT earpiece from Sony that they claim will work with the X1, sure it works, but driving down the road the damn thing still cuts off and it is random. I vow never to get another sony product. I have called the technical support line so many times trying to resolve the BT issues and they keep giving me the run around.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Thanks for the warning! I'll avoid the early-adopter position until all signs are clear that the device is solid and stable (if I indeed choose this device in the end).

Originally Posted by jjx View Post

Thanks!

I've noticed that the K850i shots are quite good, but that was a 'digital camera' with a phone in it, rather than the other way around as seems to be the case of the X3/X10/Infinity/Rachel. I think the full title of the K850i, is K850i Cybershot (indicative of its digicam roots/focus).

Well, only one more day before we get some more solid information. I wonder if there will be any additional teasers leading up to that point?

}:^)~

Well the phone was just announced on Engadget. It might be a decent phone... when released in 2010!

The storage sucks (8GB microSD), it's running Android 1.6 (so no multi-touch or navigation) and the demo videos showed atrocious lag.

What a pisser.

Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
lol, man i just found this thread. Let me warn ANY one trying to get a the Sony X3/X10... STAY away from it. Sony can care less about their customers or what they think. Read all the thread about the case cracking and how many times people have had to send their device in only to get it back and it still cracks. Mind you i got mine back and it still ahven't cracked (knock on wood).
Just some more anecdotal evidence to throw on the pyre. After negotiating a plan with Vodafone (insisting about four times that a new phone wasn't necessary), I got a free unlocked SE w910i for my troubles. I wasn't expecting much; the rest of the phones on offer were a motley collection of Soviet-looking clamshells and candybars, and hey! It looked nice and the camera was better.

After about 8 months, an unexplainable decay (hereinafter referred to as the "Sony Ericsson Rot") began to set into the system software, leading to one feature after another breaking at a rate of one a month. Some of the more fun ones included:
  • Entertainment menu choice suddenly stopped working
  • When turned on, hands-free mode started lowering the speaker volume instead of raising it
  • Pressing the dedicated Walkman button began freezing the phone's UI
  • Internet menu choice suddenly stopped working, but still can be accessed through the "My Shortcuts" menu
  • Messaging menu choice suddenly stopped working, making it impossible to send or read received SMSes

True, all of these problems went away after reflashing the carrier's firmware using the official SE tool (am I the only one who is genuinely terrified of using a firmware-flashing app written in Adobe Flash?) at the cost of all the SMS correspondence (which can be backed up, but not pushed back onto the phone), and I've only had to do it twice so far.

But surely, you might say, it was made up for by the sleek-looking hardware! For the record, I treat my gadgets like a saint; after less than a year of careful use I'm rewarded with missing bits of plastic chrome and a broken slider. Though it's better behaviour than before, when shutting the slider would occasionally switch off the phone.

Lesson learned? You only miss durability after it has gone. Previously I had two lovely Nokias (3315 and 6260), both of which still work perfectly. The experience pretty much cemented my Nokia loyalty, if only they'd hurry up and announce the damn N900 in Australia.

Complaints aside, there's every chance that Sony Ericsson might make crank out a decent Android phone. And as there's no actual footage of the phone in action, the only way we'll find out is when someone nabs a review unit.

I can understand why some think the interface mockup shown in the videos is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but just imagine if you were in a hurry. Not only is the excessive animation and swooping slightly gratuitous, some of the UI choices are far from the most efficient way of addressing the problem (I'm looking at you, stack-o-tiles contacts list) and in some cases, it borders on making the phone sluggish (e.g. same video, it takes a whole second for the keyboard to finish animating).

Actually 70% of me was ready to buy X10 couple of days ago, but

- 1gb internal memory
- Laggy(granted there's time for release and Nokias efforts 2-4 months before release aren't many times been any better, but still was hoping to see that snapdragon to take it's effect straight away).
- Adroid 1.6(and very cautious talks from SE about any 2.0 update after a release)
- UI wasen't that hot afterall
- No Radio or EQ for music.
- Most of all that Q1 release

Now i'm again 100% sure to go for N900.... hopefully N900 comes out before Q1 thought

ok... got the answer i needed... not that i was really planning on not buying the n900.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Here's the N900 and X10 side by side:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=2917

The main advantages each has (without getting into an OS war) would seem to be the Nokia's keyboard and internal storage versus the Sony's processor and screen size. For me the keyboard wins.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/s...e-go-hands-on/

Sorry if this has already been posted. Not exactly a glowing (p)review
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Tags
sony, xperia