Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
I have installed savecpu, however Im not and will not overclock the n900, so do I actually need that app?
I have reflashed the phone, but the problem seems still to be present,
I shall try to use another battery instead to see if the problem still occurs.

but before I do that, I have noticed something, on this n900, when not in use, its constantly around 20% at 500 mhz, I know that at stock, the min should be at 250 mhz. but this one doesnt go there. could that be the reason?
It is running at 500Mhz when the usb port is connecting to a charging source.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
One thing that savecpu does is tell you the current temp of your N900, so you don't have to rely on a subjective estimate. Otherwise, you don't need it if you aren't overclocking. Heck, I AM overclocking and I think I don't really need it.

it seems to be fine now, but i didnt really do anything with it, my other n900 is overclocked and at the time it felt cooler than the one that was overheating. but now its improved for some reason.
always a good thing.

Originally Posted by shaf View Post
since ive had my new n900 ive noticed its been heating up alot which is weird. I got a new n900 when my previous usb port came out, I usually put my phone under my pillow and when I got it in morning it was really really hot, even while im typing this from the n900 its still really hot. My old N900 never heated up any help?
hi, its funny you have posted the above...i dropped my n900 whilst charging and the usb connection became loose and came out with the charger. I freaked out and sent it off to Nokia, they in turn returned it with completely new internals. Since then the phone manages to heat up very noticibly by itself whilst idling, the only solution i have found is to turn off the unit before the battery completely discharges. First i thought the problem was the battery so i bought a new one and the problem persists. I thought i would try Maemo before i send it back to Nokia for the 3rd time!! Has anybody found a solution to this problem? I eagerly await a response!!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
@John
Your problem probably related to processes that constantly consuming the CPU % and RAM. It could be related to your installed applications. Some of them probably buggy and unstable.
Find out the culprit and eliminating it then your problem will resolve itself.

Xorg- can sometimes became unstable

Hildon-Home - usually became unstable after 24 to 60hours of up time (if you use SWAP on MicroSD then it will resolve this, I hope)

Some other processes ...etc

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
@John
Your problem probably related to processes that constantly consuming the CPU % and RAM. It could be related to your installed applications. Some of them probably buggy and unstable.
Find out the culprit and eliminating it then your problem will resolve itself.

Xorg- can sometimes became unstable

Hildon-Home - usually became unstable after 24 to 60hours of up time (if you use SWAP on MicroSD then it will resolve this, I hope)

Some other processes ...etc

I have found the solution over the last few days at last for the overheating issue. I simpy turned off the auto wifi search and now the problem seems to be resolved...no more having to reboot the phone etc

I have an issue with my n900 overheating while running gst-launch for more than about 3 and a half hours. Basically it just shuts off. I have installed savecpu and I'm wondering if there are command line options for savecpu that I can use to get the temperature of my n900. If there are I can log the temperature regularly and get an idea of what is safe/acceptable operating temperature. Any one have any ideas how to get cpu temp from the command line using safecpu?

my n900 heats up to 46 degrees with use of downloading over 3g..

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Hi there all.

There is no need (I think) to create new topic so I will ask a questions here.

Today I drop my n900 on hard floor and unfortunately I somehow broke the display (It's not literally broken, but when I turn on the phone everything works, buzzers etc, but screen is black).

Already tried the screen on another n900 and it's the same. So I replaced the screen with another one. It was easy job, but I think I could damage something inside.

Phone is working, so the screen, but it's overheating and sometimes do random reboots, QCPUfreq related sensors says its 40-50 (celsius),but before the screen replacement it was around 30, what I did wrong?

Posts: 6,446 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The temperature sensor is actually in the battery rather than in the phone itself. Perhaps your battery got damaged by the impact? Have you tried another one?