To preceed any questions and issues when connecting, I´ve discovered after numerous tries and reconfigurations that privoxy installation might interfere although not expicitly addressed for usage. Uninstall the app ,deactivate privoxy service or simply kill the privoxy process and you will find your way to a successful connection.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
why didn't nokia put PAN support into diablo - not exactly rocket science!
and why are these vital system apps close source?

mutter mutter grrr grrr.

Eh, it's not that big of a deal to me. I bought the n810 knowing that PAN wasn't supported. It's awesome that there's a package for it, and that Nokia is going to make sure that package works again.

In the meantime, the hack is simple enough. Of course, I'd really like more of the hardware integration open sourced, or abstracted so higher level components could be open sourced. (Not because I'd work on it, but because there are plenty of awesome devs in the community that actually can

The Following User Says Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
I just wanted to say "Thanks andreww" for your work on getting Bluetooth PAN working in Diablo. Hopefully Nokia will soon alleviate the need for this two step workaround, but in the interim it's a lifesaver. I took the plunge and re-flashed my N800 back up to Diablo tonight and was able to get Bluetooth PAN working by following your WIKI. It was nice to see it broken down a bit and understandable for a Linux novice like myself. Much appreciated!

Frank

does this thing help to connect to PC running BT on Windows?
I cannot clearly connect my N810 to PC, Windows tells connection exists, but on tablet I don't see it

I'm not sure how Windows creates Bluetooth networks. You might want to look up some documentation that says if it's PAN, DUN, etc. Also check basic BT connectivity by making sure your computer is visible, that the devices are in range and maybe that you can send a file to the n810.

If that fails, try searching this forum or looking through the wiki. I'm sure I've read about other people doing that before. They might have documented it.

when I start your script then N810 tries find my cellular phone - I use it to access Inet through GPRS when travel

but now BT on phone turned off thus nothing happiness... N810 doesn't just see BT dongle ten inches far from it...

I tried another way - I used script from other thread and then started DUMMY connection created as you suggested

I got 2 connections on the N810 - 1st one just Ethernet connection to PC, without IP address assigned (PC signaled about it) and 2nd one connection "nowehere" with IP:169.254.102.188 (this is IANA's address... not in my network) - both connections are wlan0 - wlan0 and wlan0:1

and both are useless - ping tells there is no Internet connection

anybody got BT PAN with PC working in Diablo?.....

Sorry, I can only confirm that it works with a cell :-/ I don't have a Windows PC to try it with. I looked on my mac and didn't see any obvious ways to share my internet connection.

I don't think the small wrapper script that I wrote has anything specific to cell phones, so if you've seen posts that suggest PAN on a PC worked in chinook or earlier with the pan package, I would guess that it can work in Diablo as well.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This bug is now resolved.

From Bugzilla:
The dummy network module is now uploaded to the repository. From the
commandline as root do 'apt-get install libicd-network-dummy', as its not
visible through Application manager. The network name is hardcoded for now so
one does not need to run the gconf setting command described in the wiki
somewhere.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
i think this fixes the issues with people who have the ability to set the phone to make a PAN connection to the tablet, i.e nokia phones .. still doesnt help users with SE phones as the connection has to be made from the tablet to the phone rather than the other way round because you cannot initiate a PAN connection on SE phones .. you have to be 'invited' to do it .. i'd be pleased to be proved wrong though !!!