Notices

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Could you please share the source so i can look at your changes?
I would like to add you as developer to the garage.maemo.org ur-quan masters project and host your N800 deb there.
I haven't made any changes to the actual code, just added the packaging stuff, the launcher, some default config and changed some optimization flags in the build system. But I'll put that up when I get home for monday.

Note that I've only tested the files on my own device, which I've played around with quite a bit, so might be a good idea, to get some feedback from someone else too first, that the packages actually work for others too, before adding them to the garage project, but otherwise go ahead. Probably far more people can find them there.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ZerionSeven View Post
I haven't made any changes to the actual code, just added the packaging stuff, the launcher, some default config and changed some optimization flags in the build system. But I'll put that up when I get home for monday.

Note that I've only tested the files on my own device, which I've played around with quite a bit, so might be a good idea, to get some feedback from someone else too first, that the packages actually work for others too, before adding them to the garage project, but otherwise go ahead. Probably far more people can find them there.
Garage is fine for works-in-progress. It's also a way to generate interest and feedback.

If your installer requires python, just add that dependency to the .deb.

Since i don't have an 800, i can't do testing for 800 versions myself, so having anyone on-board the garage project with an 800 would be a help.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Garage is fine for works-in-progress. It's also a way to generate interest and feedback.

If your installer requires python, just add that dependency to the .deb.

Since i don't have an 800, i can't do testing for 800 versions myself, so having anyone on-board the garage project with an 800 would be a help.
The package should already depend on python2.5-runtime. Probably should make that python2.5, python2.5-hildon and such, but I'm not sure exactly which are needed, but the runtime package should depend on all the necessary ones. I probably should also add n800 or something to the package version, since I don't think the binary would even run at all on 770, but I won't be able to do anything until I get back to home.

I'd be glad help anyway I can.

I have a sad announcement to make.

After several weeks of discussions with the core development team of the Ur-Quan Masters, we have concluded that there is no simple way to increase framerates to playable levels on the Nokia 770 without use of hardware scaling (Xsp Pixel Doubling).

The Xomap/Xsp pixel doubling implementation for the Nokia 770 has been broken since the day of its' release, and the Ur-Quan Masters (among other SDL applications) can not use it without major modification.

According to my research, these problems have been fixed for the N800 and possibly (pending confirmation) the IT2007 'Hacker Edition' release, but I have not seen any indication that the majority of Nokia 770 owners will be flashing their devices with the 'Hacker OS'.

Potential solutions (in approximate order of preference) are:
  1. A means is found to fix Xsp pixel doubling in IT2006.
  2. IT2007 implements the fixes and the 770 user-base installs it.
  3. Someone writes replacement SDL 2x scaling/blitting methods for the 770 that are as fast as unscaled SDL.
  4. Someone finds a way to restructure UQM's use of SDL to be compatible with the broken pixel-doubling.
  5. The UQM developers rewrite the entire graphics core to be 2x as fast.

Until one of these things happens, I have no way to bring a viable Ur-Quan Masters to the 770 gaming audience and therefore suspend my work on this project.

(edit) According to some N800 owners it's 'fast enough' on their machines, but no one has reported fps figures for various configuration options or dealt with the combat problems. If anyone wishes to submit a debian package with sources for the N800, i would be happy to host it on the Ur-Quan Masters project page at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/uqm.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-28 at 15:32.

ArnimS, you have jumped in headfirst to Nokia development and done a lot in a very short time. I sure hope that Nokia recognizes the value of having you active in the community and would offer you a discount code to get a N800 for a $100.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
ArnimS, you have jumped in headfirst to Nokia development and done a lot in a very short time. I sure hope that Nokia recognizes the value of having you active in the community and would offer you a discount code to get a N800 for a $100.
Thanks

Good news! With fOSSil's help I found (_finally_) the SDL call that triggers the problem with Xsp doubling and sdl. It applies to it2006, 2007 hacker edition and latest bora for n800 equally.

A workaround has been found for UQM. Now getting 20+ fps in all game situations tested. F i n a l l y

I'm moving on to onscreen controls, difficulty tweaking, settings restrictions and packaging / hildonization.

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Northwoods of Wisconsin
Thank you guys!!! This was one of my favorite games soooo long ago. I just got a 770 and Im giddy to load this.

This...is awesome. I can't believe this thread isn't 20 pages long.

Sorry for not spending much time on this lately. I'll try to put some time in this week. Glad to see you're interested robbh6, airhurt. Do you have some experience with the game?

I need people who are somewhat practiced at combat to test it for me. I am too slow to be a playtester.

The frabjous day has arrived. Ur-Quan Masters onscreen buttons working!

If you have experience playing UQM, and can use the various ships and techniques (special weapon techniques etc), i need testers.

Drop me a note if you can help test. I have a feeling this game is way too hard as-is for the nokia controls.