Notices

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Oh facepalm
"swapoff/swapon/swapoff via a temporary swapfile"
Thatīs why I could not swapoff. Stupid me!

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Concerning this issue, I want to implement the small memory-freeing command that Simon describes in his blog post, saying he runs it as a cron job.

Code:
I run a cronjob that drops buffer cache containing pagecache, dentries and inodes, to clear out unused dirty pages (sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches).
This might take some time and resources to run, since there's a sync command which writes down to the flash memory.
Given that we haven't cron by default on our devices, and I don't know how to mess with the alarmd daemon (and I'm not sure I'll ever do), I would then add an icon to run the command and free memory when the user likes to, i.e. when the device isn't going to do critical things like answering a call or shooting a video.

What do you think? Button or alarmd?
I definitely like the idea of a button if I have to choose one, but I can see both being the most useful

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Adding my thanks too

But I have noticed that at least some of the parameters do not survive a reboot?! While it seems that it should.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
This certainly seems to have speeded things up.

Not rebooted as of yet though.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Adding my thanks too

But I have noticed that at least some of the parameters do not survive a reboot?! While it seems that it should.
Please control that it has installed a /etc/event.d/tuning file

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by debernardis;817524
Concerning this issue, I want to implement the small memory-freeing command that Simon describes in his blog post, saying he runs it as a cron job.

[code
I run a cronjob that drops buffer cache containing pagecache, dentries and inodes, to clear out unused dirty pages (sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches).[/code]

This might take some time and resources to run, since there's a sync command which writes down to the flash memory.
Given that we haven't cron by default on our devices, and I don't know how to mess with the alarmd daemon (and I'm not sure I'll ever do), I would then add an icon to run the command and free memory when the user likes to, i.e. when the device isn't going to do critical things like answering a call or shooting a video.

What do you think? Button or alarmd?
I'm greedy, and would like to see both! The ability to have a "garbage collector" running automatically would be great.

Would an good idea be to spin this off and merge with the optimizeN900 thread.

There does seem to be a multitude of different threads each offering different parts of the jigsaw which is N900 optimisation.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Please control that it has installed a /etc/event.d/tuning file
I have the file 'tuning' and I can read the same values as in your first post.
However when I reboot, I can read for example:
40 for for the parameter dirty_ratio
while it should be 95

If I launch again the DEB, then the parameters turn to be at the correct values.

PS: some weeks ago I had modified the rcS file and did change the parameters of swappiness and page-cluster directly in the file. Could that be related? (I have serious doubt but...)

The Following User Says Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I have the file 'tuning' and I can read the same values as in your first post.
However when I reboot, I can read for example:
40 for for the parameter dirty_ratio
while it should be 95

If I launch again the DEB, then the parameters turn to be at the correct values.

PS: some weeks ago I had modified the rcS file and did change the parameters of swappiness and page-cluster directly in the file. Could that be related? (I have serious doubt but...)
I can confirm this too, and it doesnt seem to matter what method reboot is used it always resets. Ive not tested any other figures than the dirty_ratio one as im at work (and supposed to be doing just that).

I doubt you manually changing the swappiness and page cluster made a difference, as I never have changed them and im getting it. I'd expect everyone would be the same?

The Following User Says Thank You to kaos_king For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@P@t: you're right. Both dirty_ratio and dirty_background_ratio don't get saved. I'm going to try to see why

@P@t: you're right. Both dirty_ratio and dirty_background_ratio don't get saved. I'm going to try to see why
Thanks for packaging it together. Really does seem snappier, and that was before I OC'd it after a reboot. It was so snappy, i thought i HAD OC'd it!

Would be good to get it to survive a reboot

Tags
bada lubes, bada rox, swappiness, tuning