Active Topics

Notices

And the funny thing is that Canola needs ogg-support for the scanning program which is at the moment missing in Diablo version, so I'm using Mediabox right now with oggs without that hassle.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
MediaBox could remember the section where it was exited last. How about this?
That'd be perfect.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by markku View Post
And the funny thing is that Canola needs ogg-support for the scanning program which is at the moment missing in Diablo version, so I'm using Mediabox right now with oggs without that hassle.
Yeah, dependencies over dependencies. Last time I counted, there were about 60 dependency packages which Canola dragged in when installing.

Here are some instructions for the brave who want to try the latest development version of MediaBox from SVN.

https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=355 has instructions for how to retrieve the code from SVN. You will need a SVN client on your computer.
The code can be retrieved by running
Code:
svn checkout https://garage.maemo.org/svn/mediabox
on a Linux box. On Windows it can be different, depending on the SVN client.

If you're running a recent Linux distro with Python 2.5, PyGTK, and MPlayer installed, you're lucky. MediaBox will run there. Simply start it with
Code:
python2.5 /path/to/mediabox/MediaBox.py
It doesn't have to be installed.

To run it on the tablet, copy it onto a memory card, open the XTerminal and do the same as above.
So, e.g., if you have the stuff in /media/mmc1/mediabox, you would run it with
Code:
python2.5 /media/mmc1/mediabox/MediaBox.py
It runs on OS 2006, 2007, 2008 (Chinook and Diablo), although it's hard to get the Python2.5 runtime installed on OS 2006, since OS 2006 is no longer officially supported by the Python guys at INdT.
On the Nokia 770 you definitely should enable virtual memory.

Once you got it running, please don't complain about missing or broken features. The SVN version is always work-in-progress, so some things might not work as expected. You have been warned!

If you enter the new folder viewer in MediaBox, you will see several storage devices there. If you have UPnP AV devices in your local network, MediaBox will display them there.
Besides the local device and the UPnP devices you will also see a YouTube storage device in the folder viewer. You can search and browse YouTube with it and play videos. Downloading of videos is not yet available in the user interface, but you can save the file /media/mmc1/tube.flv after it was loaded completely.

The viewer with the house icon is a 3rd party plugin by Hugo Baldasano. It allows you to control UPnP compliant light bulbs in your house. Thanks Hugo!

Enjoy, and please remember, feedback is very welcome!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
There is quite a repository mess with OS 2006 repositories making it hard
to install software packages, especially those requiring Python 2.5 (for which
INdT dropped support on OS 2006).

This is how I got MediaBox installed on OS 2006.

1. Get the repositories

http://repository.maemo.org
mistral
free non-free

http://repository.maemo.org/extras
mistral
free non-free

http://maemo-hackers.org/apt
mistral
main

2. Install Python

Select python2.5-runtime from the application list in the application manager
and install it. All depedencies should be resolvable with the three repositories
above.

3. Install MPlayer

You can see mplayer for N770 in the application list. Install it.

4. Install MediaBox

MediaBox is not (yet) in the OS 2006 Maemo extras repository, so you have to
get it directly from the project page.

Alternatively you can temporarily add the OS 2007 extras repository in the
application manager. But only use it for fetching MediaBox since most other
stuff in this repository won't work on OS 2006.

http://repository.maemo.org/extras
bora
free non-free

5. Enjoy MediaBox on OS 2006

You're done. Enjoy MediaBox running on your Nokia 770. It's a good idea to
enable swap space (virtual memory) in the control panel.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Morocco
I was looking through the repositories today and decided to give all of the media players a try. Yours is the only one that I didn't uninstall. Thanks for all of the hard work. I can't wait to try out the next version although I'm not brave enough to test the beta out.

All I need to do now is put some album art in my folders for the ones that are missing. MediaBox is an excellent piece of software!

Oh, one other thing. I've noticed that the sound of music or videos while using MediaBox is rather low. The default media player on the N8*0 has a volume control which jacks the sound up rather nicely.

Do you think that could be implemented in MediaBox?

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by alaaji View Post
Oh, one other thing. I've noticed that the sound of music or videos while using MediaBox is rather low. The default media player on the N8*0 has a volume control which jacks the sound up rather nicely.

Do you think that could be implemented in MediaBox?
is it possible you didn't max-up the volume?

(while the song is playing use the +/- zoom buttons on the top side.)

btw, I find it the best player for my taste too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Thanks Saturn, that was the problem. I didn't know that you could raise the volume that way. I learned something new today.

Hi pycage,
i just downloaded 0.95 for diablo. Thank's for taking the effort to bring this version to diablo extras even before 0.96.

i really appreciate it.

Thank's and have a nice day

MiBi

Tags
media player, mediabox