Now this is funny. I just received the 1GB RS-MMC card I ordered to use with the 770. Unfortunately, the card may sit idle for quite some time before I have a 770 to pair it with.

i know i'm ultra anxious to get this little marvel, so maybe my view of the whole screw up this week is a trifle over amped, but it is hard to believe a multi-billion dollar electronics giant could stumble so badly. julia and all her friends have a different story each time you talk with them. i can tell they're well meaning folk, so i try to treat them with respect, but nokia has completely fumbled the ball on this. it wouldn't take much for nokia to give them the straight story and then allow them to pass it on. the latest story i have (indirectly) from julia is that they had 50 pieces and they're all gone and now maybe they'll ship in a week and half or so. maybe. i've also heard that people who received email saying their internet tablet was to ship today have now been emailed their 770 is back ordered.

perhaps nokia is just trying to fix something

Someone had mentioned that the direct sales folks were not Nokia employees but rather were handling the direct sales as an outsourced job. So, if that's the case, to some extent they are hamstringed by whatever info they are given by Nokia. Additionally, they may have limited avenues to request additional information from Nokia.

What really gets me about them is the credit verification thing. It appears that I may be one of the only non-developers so far who was actually able to submit an order in the US at the full MSRP. Given what I've been told, every person ordering at the 770's regular price will be subjected to the verification. I really am hoping it was just some royal screw-up on the first 2 attempts to verify my CC info, but I have some advice to anyone in the US who does place an order with them. Don't just sit back and wait and assume that the verification is going through just fine.

If you place an order in the morning, call them back within a few hours to check on the credit status. FYI, the credit folks aren't in until 9AM CST and, if I had to guess, are only there until 5PM even though the phone sales is open much later (not sure if they are 24/7 but I have called as late as 10PM EST). They're going to tell you that it takes 24-48 hrs, but in my experience, action was taken both times within a few hours of order placement. For whatever reason, they didn't contact me to let me know there was a problem.

Jeff

Just called Nokia again today at their sales number. 'Julia' says it is still out of stock but it should be available next week. Oh well, I hope hope it's true.

I think it's about supplier shipment delays if you ask me.

Hey Reggie, if you don't mind, post back here about your ordering experience. I'm kind of curious about whether it was just my order or if others run into processing and credit issues as well. Thanks.

Jeff

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I understand everyone wants this thing badly (be glad you're in a country that is on Nokia's radar), but I've been on the other end of the phone before. I worked for an oursourced first level helpdesk services supplier, supporting multiple clients at once (try 8... with completely different rules and standards). We were *always* the last to know. Try 3 people fielding 100 calls in an hour about a severity 1 issue to do with printing and finding out that IT had scheduled server maintenance during the day which would affect printing, sent out company-wide email, and excluded their first line of support.

<end rant>

Basically. It's not their fault. What they don't know is because they haven't been told, and I'll bet that they're stressed to hell because of all of the 770 inquiries.

I just want to say thank you to internet tablet talk for bringing my hopes up and telling us that the nokia 770 will be available november 10 in the US. Obviously it was not, and nobody give me any crap about "yes it was out but it was a select few that were shipped", that doesnt count.

Internet tablet sources suck, i called the nokiausa people up and they told me that they will be shipping nokia 770s around end of december

One more thing, why the #$*% does every european country have this device but not us americans and we wont get it until weeks from now. Yes, im sounding very cocky, but come on we are the god damn richest country in the world, everything comes to us first after it is released in asia, whats going on?

following up on my previous post, i really hope that nokia ships sooner than end of december

i found a report at this link http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8791752247.html

saying that the nokia 770 should be shipping some time next week in the US,

we'll see what happens guys, hopefully this will be the case.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by thenabbster
i found a report at this link http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8791752247.html

saying that the nokia 770 should be shipping some time next week in the US,
This source mainly says:
"Nokia announced today that it expects to begin selling its model 770 Internet Tablet in the US next week. "

What does Nokia mean with the expression "begin selling"? Maybe this means "you can place an order" and not "the device is available" or "we start shipping the devices".

In Germany, France and Austria we have this situation. The order pages on the Nokia website where offically available from November 3rd and I placed my order on November 4th. Right from the beginning the status was "out of stock". They never announced one in stock up to now. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the countries above represent a third or maybe half of the potential European market.

Why the heck can't Nokia inform their (potential) customers about what's going on here?
Maybe all this whining is from a minority of freaks and doesn't bother Nokia.

Don't know what's up with the 770 now. Maybe they are building up a reasonable stock before they launch in the US.

I had no problems getting my 770, but then again I live in Finland. Ordered November 4th and it shipped the same day from Germany. The only problem was that UPS did some kind of a record and it took six days to get it from Germany to Finland.

And I don't see Motorola launching products first in Europe, so don't complain about this. Sorry US, but we just got it first...

Oh, and don’t take this too seriously. Hope you all get it soon...