Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Laughing Man:

If you put it that way, then I'd have to say MS did a much better job doing (backward) compatibility testing between their MS Office releases than OO.o against MS Office formats =P It's so much less of an issue (format compatibility) upgrading to another MS Office version than to OO.o. Unfortunately.

As for user's response to the 'upgrade': Most will immediately understand that MS Office 2007 is an upgrade from whatever version they were using before (nice gui, whatnot) and they wouldn't mind spending their own time exploring it and getting themselves up to speed. They either 'don't care' or 'somewhat excited' with getting such upgrade.
While getting OO.o replacement is seen as something 'inferior' or 'different' and they generally don't react as positively to this change. "Oh, the company is saving some money at MY cost.. I've to use this inferior software that makes my job harder or less convenient".

Of course user's response is part of the migration preconditioning process... while a great majority of them probably wouldn't care if you tell them about 'opensauce', but telling them how the saving from this project may help the company stay afloat in this tough time should earn their sympathy..

In the end, OO.o is seen as an inferior product which is cheaper, but comes with some unnecessary risks.
So in the end it seems that we agree. That the primary issue facing OpenOffice is user perception? (I agree with what you said). I also agree that MSOffice did a better job with compatibility, but then again they have the advantage of owning it, so they don't have to work backwards (but then again judging from released Microsoft documentation of networks either they intentionally obfuscuated it or they're partially in the blind too). File compatibility is partially why I can't say OpenOffice is the perfect 1:1 replacement of MSOffice. But why I say it can be used in some places where MSOffice is used where users don't use all the features. I think organizations should at least try a hybrid of OO and MSOffice (unless licensing from Microsoft is in a bulk form where the extra licenses saved wouldn't be that big a deal).

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/m...ng-to-symbian/

It's for Symbian not Maemo.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-08-13 at 01:09.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
I'm sorry, but this whole conversation about OpenOffice vs MS Office is pointless.

1) Writer isn't as good as Word and Calc is a joke compared to its Microsoft counterpart. This is the unfortunate truth, ask anyone who uses Excel for anything more than the basic functionality.

2) Nobody is going to throw millions of dollars and massive resources into a huge project with a giant, *unfamiliar* codebase not really knowing what will come out of it and when. Better to cut a deal with professionals who are successful at making a good office suite and actually have experience in the mobile market (Pocket Office) - Microsoft.

3) I don't think that file types came into consideration when this deal's been made. Office 2007 SP2 has OpenDocument support (broken, but it's an irrelevant checklist item in the grand scheme of things for Nokia), so it's a complete package.

Don't get me wrong, I am a proponent of open source software when it's better than the closed-source counterpart, that's why I've been a Linux user for the last 5 years.

But I'm not religious, in other words, I think it's reasonable to say that OpenOffice is worse than Microsoft Office right now. It could be made on par or better, given millions of dollars, lots of resources and possibly years of development, but it would be a stupid decision by Nokia to choose it over MS Office.

I'm happy that Microsoft Office has been chosen as the office suite for Nokia phones.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Laughing Man: I don't know about the actual statistics of user's response\feedback of OO.o in 'real workplaces', so I can only comment form a few that I've seen\heard myself.

A hybrid OO + MSOffice environment, imho, would introduce yet another layer of unnecessary complexity. A lot of the time it's better to take the route which costs more, but more predictable and simpler.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
according to this ms office will be available for maemo too

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
How come the Russians always know these things first?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Former KGB agents?

Seriously, maybe they're just more objective and less beholden to the status quo than American or European press...

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The name of our nationality implies that we are inherently quicker than others. After all, we are always...Russian.

Btw: http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Tim

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
The name of our nationality implies that we are inherently quicker than others. After all, we are always...Russian.

Tim
Ooo... that hurt.

In Soviet Union, puns mangle YOU.

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
I'm sorry, but this whole conversation about OpenOffice vs MS Office is pointless.

1) Writer isn't as good as Word and Calc is a joke compared to its Microsoft counterpart. This is the unfortunate truth, ask anyone who uses Excel for anything more than the basic functionality.

2) Nobody is going to throw millions of dollars and massive resources into a huge project with a giant, *unfamiliar* codebase not really knowing what will come out of it and when. Better to cut a deal with professionals who are successful at making a good office suite and actually have experience in the mobile market (Pocket Office) - Microsoft.
1) I've never argued that O.O is better than MSOffice. What is being said is that depending on what your usage or purpose for Office is, O.O could replace MSOffice. For example, most college students probably don't need MSOffice, O.O would easily replace their primary activity (writing papers). That being said I hope there's a free alternative to Office on the tablet/phone. Because I don't need MSOffice most of the time, thus why pay Microsoft for a license (or don't pay but bother with the hassle of getting it the other way)

2) You don't have to throw millions of dollars and time right from the start. Just install it on one computer and see where it goes from there.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't mind MSOffice being chosen for the deal. I welcome choice for people. I understand that O.O may not be for everybody or may not suit every individual's purpose. I just hope there are free alternatives like O.O or Abiword.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Seriously though, those mobile-review Russians gave us, among other things, what I thought (and still think) was our first peek at the Fremantle task switcher, too...

Not so seriously:

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post

Tim
Reminds me of that old, old joke, "Why are fire trucks red? Because they're always Russian!"

Doesn't work so well post-USSR, I guess...

Tags
microsoft, nokia, office, phones, rx-51