Active Topics

BTW I'm currently working with some experienced folks on an unofficial Maemo news and reviews website, will give more details when it's ready for public consumption. Hopefully it can be included in the maemo.org aggregator once it's got started.

Now that Maemo is on phones, expect the flood gates to open with regard to third party Maemo sites including commercial ones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
BTW I'm currently working with some experienced folks on an unofficial Maemo news and reviews website.
That's the other 'maemo' site I was referring to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I know a couple more that are coming with 'maemo' (mine included lol). Actually, these sites do more good than bad as they tend to promote the product(s) more, and sending C&D letters to these sites will just fuel negativity towards the company.
If you're commenting on a product rather than launching a rival, it's okay to use trademarks in your site's name. For example in the 1980s there were dozens of unauthorised commercial computer magazines which used trademarks like Sinclair, Commodore, Apple etc and none of them were ever sued (at least not successfully). As long as you don't use the trademark's logo, and as long as you make it clear it's unofficial, you should be fine.

In any case I think everyone's on safe ground with Nokia as they are more likely to send you a free loan device than a takedown notice. The other week Nokia sent me this:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...an_450_ant.php

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The other week Nokia sent me this:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...an_450_ant.php
Too funny.

If you're commenting on a product rather than launching a rival, it's okay to use trademarks in your site's name. ...As long as you don't use the trademark's logo, and as long as you make it clear it's unofficial, you should be fine.
Not every time. I still remember getting take down calls from Palm and Sony since I used 'Palm' and 'Clié' respectively on site names. Both did however give an option to indicate at the bottom of the site that it's not in any way affiliated with the company.

I agree the Nokia is pretty lenient = cool.

Now, where can I get an accessory like that for the N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Apparently you are not a -users subscriber, but Ben Kenobi put it best when he said of maemo-users "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
Then it's not an oversight - posts from the users mailing list have intentionally been replaced with posts from the developers mailing list?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Then it's not an oversight - posts from the users mailing list have intentionally been replaced with posts from the developers mailing list?
No, it's just the way it is.

Either way, posts from the -developers mailing list are actually on-topic, interesting and productive, while posts from the -users mailing list are off-topic, filled with inaccurate information, and generally harmful to the tone and productivity of the community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No, it's just the way it is.

Either way, posts from the -developers mailing list are actually on-topic, interesting and productive, while posts from the -users mailing list are off-topic, filled with inaccurate information, and generally harmful to the tone and productivity of the community.
I don't want to debate the decision (at least at the moment), just confirm it was intentional.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I don't want to debate the decision...
Sorry, but I'm lost. What decision?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Sorry, but I'm lost. What decision?
I'll repeat the thinking. As you know we have the community webpage (http://maemo.org/community/) and the development webpage (http://maemo.org/development/). I remarked that it was odd that the lower right of the community webpage has recent posts from the developers mailing list.

How did this happen? I speculated that it was a mistake (as one would expect recent posts from the developers mailing to be put on only the development webpage and the posts from another mailing list to be on the community webpage). But GA weighed in with some negative comments about the quality of posts on the user mailing lists. So what decision was made?

Tags
maemo.org