Stop fighting guys, we are all in the same (sinking) boat here, remember ?

So like, when is the next update out then ?

Originally Posted by phi View Post
The G1 was introduced Oct 22-ish, the RC29 update rolled out almost a week or two later. It wasn't a 1.1 update, but it was a bugfix.

http://www.androidcentral.com/rc29-update-tmobile-g1

Maemo is maemo. Don't tell me Maemo 5 is a completely new paradigm, it isn't.

It is entirely a new paradigm as you put it. Its a completely new piece of hardware and is a new OS ( you will note that the Diablo software does not port directly over to Fremantle - ever think there might be a reason for that?) By your logic Windows 3.1 and Windows 7 are essentially the same think, I mean windows is windows right?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

well my friend just received his N900 and it is with me now anyway i want to know what is the latest firmware and were i can download it from and how to install it i mean only update or i need to flash it ?
P.S : his phone reboots frequently isn't this problem solved with the update or flash too ?
thanks alot

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by DaKing View Post
P.S : his phone reboots frequently isn't this problem solved with the update or flash too ?
Topical relevance: Nobody knows, because nobody who is talking about the reboot issue publically has access to newer firmware.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
It is entirely a new paradigm as you put it. Its a completely new piece of hardware and is a new OS ( you will note that the Diablo software does not port directly over to Fremantle - ever think there might be a reason for that?) By your logic Windows 3.1 and Windows 7 are essentially the same think, I mean windows is windows right?
You're mixing apples & oranges...I'm not talking about the OS paradigm, I'm talking about the software development paradigm. The maemo team has had 4+ years to hammer out issues about how to go about getting stuff out. Their business process is slow and bureaucratic, I get it. But in those 4 years, no one has said, "hey guys, maybe we should figure out how to cut some of this red tape so we can get stuff out quicker."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
note that Maemo team always look forward your opinions. If they are truly bureauvratic, there won't be maemo.org. You can direct your rage to propose your opinion in brainstorm. What would you like to do it with both users and Nokia be happy.

Originally Posted by phi View Post
You're mixing apples & oranges...I'm not talking about the OS paradigm, I'm talking about the software development paradigm. The maemo team has had 4+ years to hammer out issues about how to go about getting stuff out. Their business process is slow and bureaucratic, I get it. But in those 4 years, no one has said, "hey guys, maybe we should figure out how to cut some of this red tape so we can get stuff out quicker."
Actually I am not doing anything of the sort. Microsoft has had decades to become better at getting their patches etc out and yet many times critical bugs go unfixed for months and months.

Regardless of that. This is about releasing OS updates to the general public who , for the most part, are not tech savvy, immediately they become available - all that leads to is bricked phones and zero feedback apart from yet another whiner posting a new thread here about how "My phone wasnt fixed whaa whaa".
Its got fudge all to do with red tape and everything to do with quality control and trying to limit potential damage.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

So Google like to update fast...but u can compare them with Nokia. It's like comparing turtle to cat. Nokia are turtle.

Originally Posted by g0dzilla View Post
Thank you for your reply. Before 01.01.2010 come?
Unfortunately, I highly doubt that. The "official" word has it by the end of december this year, and we all know what it really means (no earlier than 2010).

I hope I'm wrong though...