Originally Posted by quingu View Post
That sounds like a rather unfortunate turn. I'd hoped that Nokia had a stronger vision for the maemo platform! Now they're already cobbling it up again. How's that helping with building a strong community??

Also, what the heck is intel up to? their only asset is x86 technology! why are they investing in creating an open, portable platform that would be architecture-independent? as soon as people have the free choice of architecture for running their software, intel will be crunched by ARM.
Intel chips really are a lot more powerfull than ARM currently.
Different markets: Intel and ARM.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
You are a glass half empty person I see. What I see is more resources being pumped into application development for our devices.
I see to hardware manofacturers that need to sell devices.

Fortunately we have the great community behind Maemo, but I don't see any roadmap from Nokia to the N900.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Scotland
So the "Flagship" device I shelled out for not even a month ago and that was released only 2-3 months ago ALREADY has an OS that is unlikely to ever be updated again?

I knew I was taking a risk in buying an early adopters piece of hardware / OS but this is ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to idoru78 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
and more power hungry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridge UK
I notice the device on the front page of MeeGo.com is an n900... This must say something no?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steevp For This Useful Post:
That's fantastic news! :-)

Still digesting, however an obvious question is what's going to happen packaging-wise (what with Maemo being based on Debian and Moblin on Fedora).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Steevp View Post
I notice the device on the front page of MeeGo.com is an n900... This must say something no?
First Meego prototype doesn't have industrial design yet?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
For <deity>'s sake, can you make a "Will N900 get MeeGo?" thread so this can be used to discuss the new platform and implications to Maemo, Moblin and mobile open source in general?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
No, on a performance-per-watt scale, definitely not.
ARM has shown omap4 prototypes, multicore and clocked above 1ghz, that can happily run with less than a watt an still beat the living crap out of any atom processor.

The Following User Says Thank You to quingu For This Useful Post:
I wanted Nokia to build and concentrate on one project, Maemo. Following the conference on engadget, what this news seems to confirm for me is that Nokia will continue to get behind Symbian as the flagship phone OS, MeeGo smacks of a side project. I really can't see anything good coming out of this from a Nokia phone user's point of view, but I'll be happy to eat a large serving of crow in a few months time

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war