Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
I'm inclined to agree with rash.m2k. This is the first Maemo device to have any cellular connectivity at all so I'm not surprised that every single feature isn't implemented. They had to get the device out at some point and that meant leaving stuff out that they didn't consider a priority.

The way they are touting M6 as mass-market ready I'd be surprised if it didn't have both MMS and 3G video calls out of the box.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
Hmmm sorry still don't agree with you....

Fmms is going well... it's improved ten fold in a month, and there is no reason why it can't be integrated. - Frals has discussed this

The brainstorm community is an interesting one... I agree not everything is being done, but as the device and OS is still new... The developers most likely are working on their first apps? - or apps they specifically want.

So in my case for example i created a brainstorm for a healthcheck idea - and my first app - is a healthcheck app - nothing saying i wont delve into brainstorm later and pick other ideas i like

I feel that you are going to read into the state of things as you wish - your perogative - i'm very excited about the future of the N900
Lets also remember that the stuff being done with fMMS will lead the way for other developers to use better integration.

With a little pushing we can also get nopkia to provide help with integrating into conversations.

Maemo is supposed to be an open source platform. If users want features that nokia do not support the best approch is to nag them to help developers here with missing information. Overall we will get more functionality that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
If fMMS will be able to change connection, send the photo, and reconnect to the other connection + receive MMS without any action needed, i'll be completely satisfied, I don't need integration with conversation window, more over, I don't use MMS that much, and so adding to conversation window will just be a waste (:
And this already works for some people (I haven't connected manually to the mms-APN with the latest few versions).

I agree with you that it doesn't need integration with conversation, as I see it.

/oxpo

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by oxpo View Post
And this already works for some people (I haven't connected manually to the mms-APN with the latest few versions).

I agree with you that it doesn't need integration with conversation, as I see it.

/oxpo
What about for receiving? also no need to manually connect?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by m1cke View Post
In the early videos where nokia reps showed the N900 they said that MMS would come in a update..
I would appreciate it greatly if you would provide a link to one such video.

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Maybe they have said they won't support MMS in maemo 5...
Nokia have indeed:

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Said that, we have no intention of supporting MMS in Fremantle ourselves. That was and is our plan.
However, as has been pointed out previously in this thread:

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
We have contacted frals to congratulate him for his work, and to offer him concrete help in areas where help is missing. Nothing new, we have been doing this with other Fremantle stars (I guess nobody doubts that frals is a Star).

We will help him with the UI in the lines of the UX Meets Code hackfest, and we will also help dealing with some Maemo interfaces fMMS needs (the release of the wappushd-dev package in the last Maemo SDK update was a first step).

In fact we have invited frals to visit the Maemo headquarters in Helsinki, so he can meet our developers and designers face to face.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-03-10 at 11:39. Reason: merging posts

Why has this been moved from the N900 forum?

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
bevause you are talking about a app for n900

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
What about for receiving? also no need to manually connect?
yeap! You dont need connect manually to receive mms. You get push msg and all you need to do is tap on it.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
This thread has to do with Maemo 5's lack of native MMS support. The N900's hardware doesn't prevent MMS support, and were there other Maemo 5 devices on the market in addition to the N900, there's no reason to believe Nokia would provide official MMS functionality on some of them but not others. So, "Maemo 5" not "N900".

Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
bevause you are talking about a app for n900
?? Its N900 related is it not. In addition its not an 'app' its an integral function for a GSM/3G device.

Nokia verbally said MMS would be coming to the N900, they let the community write and write saying it would be supported. Why didnt they come flat out and say the N900 wont support MMS. Im sick of Nokias disingenuous ways.

Tags
fmms, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, rehash