Active Topics

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ wolver
In regards to the starting post my answer is yes.....bar raised.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
agree with you abt the openness and community driven development....but isnt it the business model adopted by all OEMs today...

correct me if i'm wrong
You are quite wrong. Most companies are not about openness and community. They're about profit. Apple retains the right to not allow your app on a phone, or to retroactively pull your app if they change their mind on it. They also have failed to approve apps that have had great user demand (like tethering and book apps). That's not open, and it's certainly not community driven. Just making an SDK available doesn't make you open. Things like the kernel speed patches, JoikuSpot and Mapper are freely available on the N900 because it's open source. Such things will never show up in the iApp store, despite them having almost identical hardware.

Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
Does openness means it sans commercial boundaries... alternatively why is a disclaimer being run for all third party app installs.
No.. openness means you're free to do what you want with your device. You're not leasing it, or renting the software, or granted a temporary license so use it until the company that made it changes it's mind. You own it, it's yours, you can re-sell it, destroy it, or change it in any way you like, just like a book. In the case of the N900 you're also free to pick it apart, since they hand out huge chunks of the code that runs the core of the device. Try making a kernel patch for Windows some time and you'll see how different open vs closed can be.

The disclaimer for 3rd party apps is there to make sure you're aware that what you're doing is something not specifically approved or coming from the manufacturer. It's a courtesy warning, distinguishing what's 100% approved by the company vs what's community. Think of it like a "Windows approved" sticker found on some hardware boxes. It shows that the people who made that app/device went through the extra steps to meet special requirements set by the manufacturer, nothing more.

Having come from other phone that were not open, or that missed the mark on how much should be done by the company vs community driven (Google: Neo Freerunner), I can tell you that Nokia has done a really good job. It did what it said it would do out of the box. The browser is great, the media player works for almost everything I've thrown at it, and it works like a phone too! Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. At this point, there's almost more icing than cake.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
Thank you woody14619. I certainly disagree on some of them but wouldn't want to for the effort you have taken to respond.

Ya ....mate... Indeed we are a circle of jerks, certainly closed to criticism

Last edited by rcarlos; 2010-04-22 at 06:19.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
.....my brother just recently bought the xperia x10 with android 1.6. it is very fast and flashy but guess what? you cant close an app once its opened. it runs in the background forever. you need to download an app to kill the app. thats what you call epic fail..
WTF...................... battery drainer

can anybody explain to me what is sooo bad about the phone program?
i have to say it works fine for me (now that i have disabled auto rotation, because that does really work well)
I can anwser call pretty easy, i can make calls pretty easy, you can find a contact fast or use desktop shortcuts to them.
Missed calls, outgoing and incoming calls are logged just fine.

i only have 1 big missing feature in this area, which i miss quite often when i am in my car: Voice Dialing...

so tell me, what do i miss or dont have in the phone part???

also contacts intergration is bad?? Wooot? its the best i have seen ever! full contact intergration with what ever service you have, im or voip. Never seen this before on anything.

If you really want to point to a negative part of the N900 then point to Modest.. The email client is really bad thats the worst part of the Phone or Mobile Computer how nokia calls it. For a Mobilr Computer the email handling is just bad. It cant compare to what i had on my previos phone (the E90): profimail

Tags
complaint, hit the bar, less than zero, noise