@SavageD:

I was aware of the problem many users had/have with the usb port and have also followed the (long) thread on this topic. Still, thanks for your explanation anyway.

My issue with that part of the post by andraeseus1 was not that the problem was mentioned (quite on the contrary, that's necessary) but rather that one could get the impression that the usb port will inevitably fail after a few months. This is simply not my experience. Having said that, my port could still fall out tomorrow, of course. ;-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcw1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ sweden/dalarna
Originally Posted by jcw1 View Post
@SavageD:

I was aware of the problem many users had/have with the usb port and have also followed the (long) thread on this topic. Still, thanks for your explanation anyway.

My issue with that part of the post by andraeseus1 was not that the problem was mentioned (quite on the contrary, that's necessary) but rather that one could get the impression that the usb port will inevitably fail after a few months. This is simply not my experience. Having said that, my port could still fall out tomorrow, of course. ;-)
I have to agree whit this i have had this phone for 12 months now and the port has not yet faild me and iam charging every night and day when aim at work

i concur about the usb port issue. I've had mine coming on 1 year now, and have had no issues with it. Also I don't aggree that the camera is crap.I'm not a big fan of the flash, but i have seen some startlingly good shots taken using fcam, with different settings. Out of the box, the camera is pretty mundane, but i know quite a few DSLR hounds who have coaxed real gems of shots using fcam,

The Following User Says Thank You to porselinaheart For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by porselinaheart View Post
i concur about the usb port issue. I've had mine coming on 1 year now, and have had no issues with it. Also I don't aggree that the camera is crap.I'm not a big fan of the flash, but i have seen some startlingly good shots taken using fcam, with different settings. Out of the box, the camera is pretty mundane, but i know quite a few DSLR hounds who have coaxed real gems of shots using fcam,
Problem is, no coaxing required with e.g. the iPhone 4 out of the box

Originally Posted by jcw1 View Post
@SavageD:

i feel you.. maybe i shouldnt have said a few months. there is really no way to tell. it could be 6 months.. it could be 10 it could be 2 yrs. who knows. just wanted to express that it is a flaw in the way they manufactured it and they have not changed the process. thanks for pointing that out for me though

Originally Posted by punto View Post
Problem is, no coaxing required with e.g. the iPhone 4 out of the box

errr, iphone4 shots are pretty mundane as well imho. just the standard 5mp pix u can expect, just like the n900. afaik there is no way to drastically improve image capture. Also, most things on the n900 need a little tweaking to show their real potential, but thats the beauty, you can do it if you want, and you're not restricted to what you get just out of the box,

Originally Posted by Jardenix View Post
Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about getting the Nokia N900, and have started to read around on the forums.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the phone - and a lot of users replying that the OP should have done their 'research' on the phone..

Maybe I'm missing something, but what bugs/flaws does the phone have that make it unusually annoying? It seems perfect to me!

Thanks.
u need to wait for the latest app if someone happens to be using the same thing.

Originally Posted by porselinaheart View Post
errr, iphone4 shots are pretty mundane as well imho. just the standard 5mp pix u can expect, just like the n900. afaik there is no way to drastically improve image capture. Also, most things on the n900 need a little tweaking to show their real potential, but thats the beauty, you can do it if you want, and you're not restricted to what you get just out of the box,
You've contradicted yourself at least once there in the last two posts.

And the problem is that even when tweaked, the N900 still comes up short against the iPhone. fcam tools are a step in the right direction, but the fact is that you need tweaking (and the sloooow processing times) even to get within an arm's distance of what the iP4 cranks out immediately in braindead-point-and-shoot mode.

Guess which?

Originally Posted by punto View Post
You've contradicted yourself at least once there in the last two posts.
how do u figure?? i'm simply maintaining that the iphone4 and the n900's standard point and click pics are about the same quality. Its true that fcam has a longer processing time, but the photos it can produce are of a higher quality if you know which settings to use. lemme see if i can scrounge around for some old fcam hound submissions.

Shots in isolation mean nothing. I've shot some great pix with a Canon 2.1MP camera. Doesn't mean it's better than a current compact. Post some unretouched (but obviously resized) pix like the above from both handsets and we can call it a valid counter-argument. Otherwise don't bother.

The problem is that development is too slow to catch up to where the leading edge is. The software behind the probably identical theoretical capabilities of the cameras would have been competitive at the start of this year perhaps, but the iPhone 4 took it up a significant notch. I'd like the fcam-based tools to undergo significant optimisations so that they're actually usable - i.e. that a p&s setting in another handset doesn't beat out something you've had to prod around and wait around a long time to achieve - but I think given the general state of the N900 that's highly unlikely to happen - although I don't imagine it's the hardware holding it back (well, maybe the CPU but probably not even that much).

It's kind of irritating that there are apologists who defend the indefensible. Development needs to pick up for the N900 not to be a non-nerd laughing stock, and people who like the N900 and where it might have gone have to raise their expectations genuinely to beyond what the elephant in the room can achieve. I really like the basics of what the N900 offers, but it's just awash in this half-assed 'it's Linux so its great' nonsense - especially among what I see to be the main user base here - so that glaring issues go untreated, and instead of maturing after a while it just gets left further behind.

Last edited by punto; 2010-12-28 at 02:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to punto For This Useful Post:

Tags
does anyone, give a fock?