Active Topics

i want one!

Uhmmm! How to "nick" an old idea improve on it and run away with it years later. Or how an idea was ahead of its time for its own good!
Design-wise it is a much improved model for sure! No flaming please! I'm very fragile....

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
More like nicking the video out on the N8, as the dock has a hdmi and usb side by side. So basically it is video out via hdmi, and keyboard and mouse in via usb.

That redfly is more like a VNC session, as it sets up a virtual screen and transfers the data over the usb cable (this is why a later model introduced a separate video in port as the virtual screen can not handle proper video). And i recall there is a program for windows that can do the same, putting the winmob "desktop" in a window.

Hell, Microsoft toyed with a similar idea around the turn of the century for hooking a winmob phone up to a tv to provide "computing" to the developing world.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Is this for real or some kind of sick joke?
The price of pre-order is $150USD

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Atrix.../ref=de_a_smtd

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Is this for real or some kind of sick joke?
The price of pre-order is $150USD

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Atrix.../ref=de_a_smtd
From your link
Price From: $149.99 (Price varies based on service type)
Notice that last bit, that means the low, low price of $149.99 will only be available with a (probably very expensive) contract.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
From your link
Notice that last bit, that means the low, low price of $149.99 will only be available with a (probably very expensive) contract.
it's pretty cheap consider the hardware inside it. $600 cash without contract Hell I would love to get one if it was a MeeGO device.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by wovenstringz View Post
Uhmmm! How to "nick" an old idea improve on it and run away with it years later. Or how an idea was ahead of its time for its own good!
Design-wise it is a much improved model for sure! No flaming please! I'm very fragile....
Speaking of "nicking" - (c) IBM MetaPad, circa 2002.

This is the direction I'd like to see Nokia heading in, with all their "mobile computer" mumbo jumbo. The mobile computer as a home computer would be satisfactory for many users who only need it for email, web browsing, instant messaging, document storage etc. Of course to offer this kind of functionality Nokia will require extensive, reliable and easy to use cloud services and sadly Nokia are years away from having that, if they ever have it.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The security system they're using has no achilles heel, short of someone leaking Motorola's private key or a lucky, early hit on the encryption key.

Didn't help anyone who bought the Milestone in Europe.
Can someone elaborate on the security key situation? This phone is tempting to me if Nokia does not announce something soon but I don't want to support draconian anti-consumer lockdown practices.

What can and can't you do if they lock it down? Is it confirmed it will be locked down?

Would much rather support the next gen of Maemo / Meego assuming the hardware is good but getting tired of waiting. Especially waiting on EDGE on ATT.

David

Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Can someone elaborate on the security key situation? This phone is tempting to me if Nokia does not announce something soon but I don't want to support draconian anti-consumer lockdown practices.
It is a 1024-bit RSA key, breaking it is unlikely to happen during the lifespan of the universe barring blind luck or revolutions in factoring.

What can and can't you do if they lock it down? Is it confirmed it will be locked down?
You cannot replace the kernel. This means if a version of Android requires a new kernel, for any reason, you cannot upgrade. And it's Motorola, barring a wild change in policy it is guaranteed to be locked down.

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
yes: http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/11/...g-Down-Android

however, when docked, it appears to be running plain old ubuntu, which depending on how they've done it might be the device's security's achilles heel.

--edit: slashdot comment--
http://mobile.slashdot.org/comments....2&cid=34936278

maybe a sim-free one bought as unlocked will be less locked down? one can hope, but I don't think so.
I believe it's built into the hardware itself. So I doubt they would make a different hardware variant for unlocked versions.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
android, atrix, lame idea, lockdown, motorola, nocyanogen, nokia sucks, nokiasucksballs