Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
For me exporting displays doesn't work at all. I can connect to the N900 with ssh -X but $DISPLAY will stay :0. And setting it to some other value has no effect (I'd have to check again if resetting it works at all).
If I start an application (e.g. leafpad, which I think is not "hildonized" - read: broken for X forwarding) it will still not be displayed on the computer screen but on the N900.

Please try some other application that really relies on X display (xterm doesn't), something with an actual GUI! Good starting points should be any applications that are plain official Debian packages (respectively merely optified versions of these).

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Well, don't use ssh X forwarding then .
I mean:

On X server machine do:

xhost ip_of_n900

On n900 do:

export DISPLAY=ip_of_xserver:0.0
su user
/etc/X11/XSession

the phone will most probably reboot, but before that you will see hildon-desktop on your server

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
do it understand correctly, that You mean that we can use x11vnc on N900, and udlfb on Raspberry Pi, connected to DVI/HDMi monitor, and that would cause usage of DisplayLink protocol, which is meant especially for high-bandwidth (like in local network), low-latency connections? sounds cool, need to test it ASAP.
No, I don't think that there is any DisplayLink "client" software-based implementation around.
I was just thinking that on the N900 side the setup is quite similar.

Also: It is NOT stretched. That's how Notes looks on 1680x1050.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-01-17 at 13:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
For me exporting displays doesn't work at all. I can connect to the N900 with ssh -X but $DISPLAY will stay :0. And setting it to some other value has no effect (I'd have to check again if resetting it works at all).
Because you need to maemo-summon(er) them, not maemo-launch them. maemo-launcher will use the environment variables from when the daemon was started, not from the shell.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Anyway, running easy-debian chroot on Cygwin X server works like charm (usb networking through QtMobileHotspot). Don't see a reason why the same could not be achieved with the device in question.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Well, don't use ssh X forwarding then .
I mean:

On X server machine do:

xhost ip_of_n900

On n900 do:

export DISPLAY=ip_of_xserver:0.0
su user
/etc/X11/XSession

the phone will most probably reboot, but before that you will see hildon-desktop on your server
Doesn't sound very useful.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Because you need to maemo-summon(er) them, not maemo-launch them. maemo-launcher will use the environment variables from when the daemon was started, not from the shell.
Of course I run the program from the same shell where I redefined $DISPLAY.

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Anyway, running easy-debian chroot on Cygwin X server works like charm (usb networking through QtMobileHotspot). Don't see a reason why the same could not be achieved with the device in question.
I never tried that. It sounds promising. Maybe that's a way to get the Easy Debian desktop in a decent resolution to the Raspberry without having to clone the whole system.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
No, I don't think that there is any DisplayLink "client" software-based implementation around.
I was just thinking that on the N900 side the setup is quite similar.
Sorry for the probably stupid question, but I think i don't get it. Could You explain more verbosely, what steps are required to try it with N900 and any linuxbox?

Originally Posted by sulu
Doesn't sound very useful.
Of course I'm wrong, that seeing hildon-desktop on another machine = we can run other things from that desktop = task accomplished (kinda)? Sorry, I'm quite lost in this whole X thing.

Yet, results with ED sounds very promising. freemangordon and sulu, some noob-friendly steps to retry it on my own (let it be normal linux distro, or X Cygwin under windoze, whatever)?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Sorry for the probably stupid question, but I think i don't get it. Could You explain more verbosely, what steps are required to try it with N900 and any linuxbox?

Of course I'm wrong, that seeing hildon-desktop on another machine = we can run other things from that desktop = task accomplished (kinda)? Sorry, I'm quite lost in this whole X thing.

Yet, results with ED sounds very promising. freemangordon and sulu, some noob-friendly steps to retry it on my own (let it be normal linux distro, or X Cygwin under windoze, whatever)?

There should be no difference whether you are using Cygwin under windoze or some linux distro, in general you need to:

1. start X server
2. add n900 as trusted host for that X server (xhost ip_of_n900)
3. on n900 in xterm or via ssh:
debian
su user
export DISPLAY=ip_of_Xserver:N.0
lxsession&

where N is most probably 0 if using Cygwin and most probably 1 if using linux distro (I am assuming that a second X server should be started under linux)

that is it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
VNC works quite nicely, although it's slow at times (then again, what do you expect, I'm running it off QtMobileHotspot)

1280x752 (not exactly Full HD, but it's a HD resolution, all right), all the heavy lifting done by the N900@805MHz, the PocketCloud client on Android is just there do do client things.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
As freemangordon said, X forwarding should just work, I tested it with ssh through wlan. Laggy but usable. Could not get forwarding to work in Maemo though, something to do with different auth methods, had to boot to Arch.

edit: should have red the whole thread first, nice concept

edit2: tested this via usb connection: video plays quite fine @ 1080p fullscreen, and lxde is smooth & responsive.

Last edited by Skry; 2012-02-06 at 22:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:

Tags
dvi hdmi, external, monitor, raspberry pi, usb vga