Active Topics

Notices

Is there any chance info on this could be posted o the Wiki page? Suggest a new section (or whole new page?). Or post all together here and I'll upload it. That page is a bit out of date.
Wondering about...
- difference between versions 8 and 12.
- compiling source. I saw the post but wasn't sure if it's done on device or on pc, are there any other flags/optimisations or anything else one should be aware of?
- what happened with qt or gtk, for each version?
- ditto gst on/off? Did videos play, for anyone?

It would be really worthwhile to try to get this in the repos, once it's deemed stable enough for general use/testing. Has anyone tried to get in touch with Mozilla's ?council? What are they going to be like about it - is it likely to be another Iceweasel?

Looking further ahead, it would be useful to investigate how to improve microB by substituting the xul engine and other bits that have become out of date. Hopefully parts could be slid out from under the UI (that can't be tinkered with) and switched, thus making it more HTML5/CSS3 compliant.

@ch88xy
You could try to compile the desktop firefox for ARM/X11? If it works, it will run like a snail. Although, Fennec does have that desktop feature... mmm... might be more reliable to stick with Iceweasel while it still works.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Will somebody push Fennec to Extras-devel? I see that is still missing.
If nobody, I will try to create dsc package and then push last (7.0.1) version to Extras-devel.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Will somebody push Fennec to Extras-devel? I see that is still missing.
If nobody, I will try to create dsc package and then push last (7.0.1) version to Extras-devel.
Now version 7.0.1 is in Extras-devel. I created proper debian/* files for dsc, so if somebody want to push new version, it is possible to reuse dsc package.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Shouldn't be better to push 8.0?

Don't know if it's worth checking the build config against that in microb's about: page. Might be some options omitted that could improve performance.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Problem:

The Fennec update showed up in the Update notifier.
I downloaded & installed it.

The Fennec icon replaced the Firefox icon on my desktop (I was running the last version of Firefox for Maemo available from the Firefox site).

When I try to start Fennec from the desktop icon, I get a black loading screen with the title "Fennec" and the whirly for several seconds, then it crashes back to the desktop.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Ecuador
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Problem:

The Fennec update showed up in the Update notifier.
I downloaded & installed it.

The Fennec icon replaced the Firefox icon on my desktop (I was running the last version of Firefox for Maemo available from the Firefox site).

When I try to start Fennec from the desktop icon, I get a black loading screen with the title "Fennec" and the whirly for several seconds, then it crashes back to the desktop.

The same problem can fix it please Pali

Me too.
Fennec replaced FF and bombs right back to desktop.

When starting from x-term it reports "Cannot read ini".

Same problem. I do not know why. When I builded package in scratchbox (Yes, I downloaded virtual HDD for qemu) all was OK. But autobuilder for Extras repository builded non-working version...

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by pali View Post
(Yes, I downloaded virtual HDD for qemu) all was OK.
Finally

Pali, it could be the same problem as with modest in CSSU, could you check if there is something in build scripts(debian/rules, whatever) re thumb?