Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Concerning the Estrada "display", wikipedia quotes Marc Dillon:
  • 4.5” Estrade display, described as "HD" (precise resolution not yet announced)

Marc Dillon explains - "(the) “Estrada” is actually our own term. It’s basically this combination of the user experience. We have this long and vertical experience that’s very easy to access where you have your lock screen at the top, which shows you notifications, you scroll down a bit and you get your applications, then you scroll down a bit and you have your home screen with your multi-tasking capabilities. Scroll a bit more and you have applications, and at the bottom of that you have your applications store. The Estrade display is this combination and we’ve made it one part of your user experience, as a vertical, that allows you to access different kinds of things very quickly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Serbia
About the Android compatibility... Will it be like what they say on my-maemo.com or FULL compatibility?

http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Last edited by Fwiffo; 2013-08-31 at 17:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fwiffo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fwiffo View Post
About the Android compatibility... Will it be like what they say on my-maemo.com or FULL compatibility?

Great question. I think that high quality Android compatibility is absolutely essential to Sailfish's success. But there is cause for hope.

First, BlackBerry itself is upgrading its Android version, which means that Sailfish will likely have either the latest or at least a very new version of Android compatibility. Second, Jolla has discussed having an app store, which I assume means that they will be able to support paid Android apps, not just free ones like BB sideloading sites.

I have my fingers crossed for Jolla, but the competition is incredibly fierce, so it's wait-and-see what Sailfish phone can really do.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fwiffo View Post

The article raises valid points. Android compability can be likened to a powerful medicine, which easily can be tured to a poison pill.

As for myself, I really couldn't care less for android applications. Even Harmattan has more than enough applications in the store... there exists maximum 100 applications anyone in her right mind ever is going to need IMHO

---------- edit ----------

The following quote resonates with my thinking...

Originally Posted by Michal Jerz
And the most basic question to ask (summing up all the above) is whether Android compatibility really has any serious, positive impact on BB10 sales. Do you know anyone who decided to get the Z10 or Q10 because of its Android compatibility, instead of getting an Android phone? I seriously doubt it. If the possibility to run Android applications is so important for someone, he simply gets an Android phone... Even though BB10 is Android compatible, I haven't noticed long queues of people forming in front of phone stores to get the Z10 or Q10, and I'm quite certain that sales would have been almost IDENTICAL if Android compatibility wasn't there... And even if it has some microscopic positive impact on sales (e.g. 20% more phones sold thanks to Android compatibility) does it really make any SERIOUS difference for BB10's (or soon Jolla's) position on the market, if at the same time it gives these platforms a reputation of Android emulators with no decent native software offer?

Last edited by juiceme; 2013-08-31 at 19:38. Reason: additional stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
... there exists maximum 100 applications anyone in her right mind ever is going to need
Trouble is that the 100 you might need are likely to differ from the 100 I might need ...

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Trouble is that the 100 you might need are likely to differ from the 100 I might need ...
True up to a point, but I'd say that the about 2000 apps or so for the N9 for example cover 99.99% of the needs of everyone.

If there is some single application that you absolutely need, it can be either replaced by something fairly close or in a pinch you can propably sweet-talk somebody to port or remake it...

The plague of the android/ios stores is the multitude of stupid simple clones of nonsense applications. I'd rather not see anything like that near the Jolla device.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, Harmattan lacks apps for me - e.g. tuner for Maemo5 isn't harmattan native

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Well, Harmattan lacks apps for me - e.g. tuner for Maemo5 isn't harmattan native
I am not familiar with that, is it same as FM radio?

work still in progress ...

i guess

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I am not familiar with that, is it same as FM radio?
Ah silly me, that's a guitar tuner, right? If such a thing is missing on Harmattan I'd say it is not a difficult thing to build yourself

Just grab a sample buffer, do a FFT on it and present the results on a GUI of your liking. I vaguely remember doing something like that when I was a child, for a sonar project I did... using 6502 assembly

Of course that was before internet existed (before TCP/IP really) so to dig up algorithms you had to go to a place called library that you could actually borrow books to take to your home for reading...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla