Active Topics

Closed Thread
Why would it? Those currently gen mobile atoms are on par by performance and use less energy.

Next gen atoms (Silvermont) will eat ARM for breakfast. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/i...s-about-mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Yep. X86 ftw. And it's asm is way prettier
Though I doubt jolla will use it since they said N9 Sailfish images could be easily made. And N9 is on arm.

I guess they will stick to known-by-exNokians TI chips, probably the same as on Nook HD+.

Last edited by Sorrow; 2013-05-09 at 15:46.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Okay, so just now stskeeps (Carsten) has found someone else to engage in this with us, no promises, but they may have time for some limited "back n forth" via the docs.
Probably not too much here, here's where we discuss content relating to the docs, & how to organise content that's being added, or moved elsewhere.
He has forwarded the GDocs links to them, fingers crossed....
I asked for an update on this the other day, but I was told we'll just have to wait, still no guarantees, but apparently they will try to answer most things. Everything happening in the next few wks will probably answer most of it anyway, if there's anything left over then hopefully they'll oblige. Of course, a raft of new Ideas/Qns & Concerns/Criticisms will be provoked once we have all that new info! Hopefully from that point onwards they'll become more responsive, either via this initiative, or a better interface that they themselves have established which "augments" what they already use.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-09 at 15:56.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I guess the question of the screen size will be answered soon, but I just got an idea of another reason large screen is less likely (even though Engadget suggests otherwise).
If you focus on the basics if Sailfish UI, one of the main controls are the dots in top left corner (used while in deep nested pages or scrollable areas like maps). Can you imagine how irritating would be reaching the dots on a ~5" device?
I believe Jolla has thought this through, considering how much they've emphasized the single handed use (pulley menu).

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
u don't need to reach that dots, as going back works with a flick

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
u don't need to reach that dots, as going back works with a flick
Please read my post again. The dots are irreplecable in some situations.

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-05-09 at 18:08.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Why would it? Those currently gen mobile atoms are on par by performance and use less energy.

Next gen atoms (Silvermont) will eat ARM for breakfast. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/i...s-about-mobile
******** ARM is the future. x86 is doomed. Its only marketing from Intel who make people think X86 has a future.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
Yep. X86 ftw. And it's asm is way prettier
Though I doubt jolla will use it since they said N9 Sailfish images could be easily made. And N9 is on arm.

I guess they will stick to known-by-exNokians TI chips, probably the same as on Nook HD+.
If they stick to TI theyr also doomed. TI has killed OMAP

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I guess the question of the screen size will be answered soon, but I just got an idea of another reason large screen is less likely (even though Engadget suggests otherwise).
If you focus on the basics if Sailfish UI, one of the main controls are the dots in top left corner (used while in deep nested pages or scrollable areas like maps). Can you imagine how irritating would be reaching the dots on a ~5" device?
I believe Jolla has thought this through, considering how much they've emphasized the single handed use (pulley menu).
Big screen is a point in multitaskingview in the cover swipe thingy...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
******** ARM is the future. x86 is doomed. Its only marketing from Intel who make people think X86 has a future.
I dont think so, Intel has been offering increasingly competitive solutions, they've just been having trouble getting traction. But they've only been truly competitive for a relatively short period, & all the signs are pointing towards them being better than competitive pretty soon. Much of the market wants to lock Intel out because it remembers them before the Post-PC era, but their desire to compete with one another will eventually see Intel get some traction, ARM will remain just as important (if not more) though.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If they stick to TI theyr also doomed. TI has killed OMAP
And if they've gone with STE they may be in a even more precarious position...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-10 at 06:10.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open