Notices

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nigeria
Hi...

I have problem locating an english dump for the evopedia 4.0 verison..

Cheers

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by hellnick View Post
Lyrics? Really? You want your N900 to be a karaoke machine too?
Owning a gun and shooting people are not the same. Also, one opinion is as good as another.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
I think most non itunes users will have their music organised in a simple artist\album\song structure - when I use Rockbox I don't use the database as I prefer to browse that way and I have a lot of live recordings that tend to freak the database out a bit (Coltrane worked with a lot of people). How about if instinctiv devs agree to implement folder browsing and end users agree to spend a little time sorting out their tags (it really is very simple these days) to make sure that they get the most from using the application?
I don't use itunes (never even installed it) and I keep my music all perfectly tagged. It's very easy to do. I also keep it organised in a good folder structure, this way I don't need to worry about how a music program manages the music.

If you go to the trouble of keeping it all organised in folder structure there are tons of programs out there that will translate this structure into tags and tag your music for you (and vice versa - tags to folder/file structure).

The best tagging program I found is Picard (http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger - win/linux/mac) which gets as much information about your tracks from filename and tag info and then uses the musicbrainz database to tag and rename it all for you. it'll even get cover art.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2010 @ Manchester - UK
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
While portrait mode is good I would like to have option to set it in landscape mode as well
Press CTRL+SHIFT+R at the same time to switch to landscape-portrait

Originally Posted by erniadeldesktop View Post
IMHO, first of all, many of us already have the mp3 ordered by folders. And not being able to add them this way is quite annoying.
The second example is if you have a folder with i.e. a compilation:Instead of losing ages by editing the id3 album tags and so on, adding the folder is the fastest way.
another reason, is that at least for me, I still have a lot of mp3 downloaded from napster, and whit really messy id3 tags.
4: is quite annoying seeing your favorite artist's songs splitted in many different lists couse you have "audioslave", "Audioslave", and "AUDIOSLAVE". Lists grow exponentially when spaces/other simbols are involved (ie depeche-mode, or red hot chili peppers).
Last one is: someone just hate searching in DBs. And this is exactly the reason why I'm not using your app.
Unless there's a massive public outcry I'm going to politely ignore your argument (for now) -- not because it's a bad one -- I totally get it -- but I think there's a much better way of fixing this. Just fix the friggin metadata. As part of the mega update we're working on we'll be rolling out the ability to auto correct your tags (just as we fetch missing artwork). This seems to solve the problem you have AND (and this is the important part) it takes out the administrative chore of organizing your stuff manually by folders.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by efebatistaarda View Post
Press CTRL+SHIFT+R at the same time to switch to landscape-portrait
We'll have the "real" thing out soon-ish. Portrait mode isn't officially supported yet, hence the keystroke only access for now

Originally Posted by peter@instinctiv.com View Post
Unless there's a massive public outcry I'm going to politely ignore your argument (for now) -- not because it's a bad one -- I totally get it -- but I think there's a much better way of fixing this. Just fix the friggin metadata. As part of the mega update we're working on we'll be rolling out the ability to auto correct your tags (just as we fetch missing artwork). This seems to solve the problem you have AND (and this is the important part) it takes out the administrative chore of organizing your stuff manually by folders.
If you'll read my wall of text in the previous page, you'll see why "fixing the friggin metadata" is not really a viable option.

The Following User Says Thank You to nax3000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
If you'll read my wall of text in the previous page, you'll see why "fixing the friggin metadata" is not really a viable option.
I don't really see why it would take months to fix the tags on your files - perhaps if you were introducing new tags like "length of lead singer's hair at time of recording" then the process might be a bit messy, but you'll find that the important data (artist, album, song, year, genre) is already available and easily accessible in teh internets. For a long time I didn't bother with tags either, then I started using Music IP mixer as I realised that I had tonnes of music on my server that I wasn't hearing because I was simply choosing stuff out of habit. Music IP mixer requires your music to be tagged so that it can create playlists of music that are similar or linked. The process of tagging the files took a couple of afternoons, but then this was on my main media server and there is a hell of a lot of stuff on there.

TLDR - tagging is worth the effort

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

I don't really see why it would take months to fix the tags on your files - perhaps if you were introducing new tags like "length of lead singer's hair at time of recording" then the process might be a bit messy, but you'll find that the important data (artist, album, song, year, genre) is already available and easily accessible in teh internets. For a long time I didn't bother with tags either, then I started using Music IP mixer as I realised that I had tonnes of music on my server that I wasn't hearing because I was simply choosing stuff out of habit. Music IP mixer requires your music to be tagged so that it can create playlists of music that are similar or linked. The process of tagging the files took a couple of afternoons, but then this was on my main media server and there is a hell of a lot of stuff on there.

TLDR - tagging is worth the effort
The simple process of tagging artist - album - song is what's going to take a long time since I'd have to do over 1000 files individually. That's pretty self explanatory as to why it would take ages to do.

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nax3000 View Post
The simple process of tagging artist - album - song is what's going to take a long time since I'd have to do over 1000 files individually. That's pretty self explanatory as to why it would take ages to do.
Tagging ~100 GB of mp3 (or almost 20.000 files...) took me a few days using a tool called tagscanner.

Regarding tags, currently instinctiv does not allow selection by Genre - are you planning to implement this?
Would really love to see this!