Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
That reasoning still doesn't make sense. If I need it for development and it breaks, it is end of development. Not good.

Or maybe you meant - DDP is currently targeted to big companies with plenty of cash who will simply get another device or has more of them. This is a bug and changes are needed. If Nokia focuses on open source now it makes more sense to support independent developers.
You can blame me for not having taken into consideration this aspect of the guarantee. Now it's too late for changing it. Next time we will do it better.

As explained before, you can't measure our support to independent developers from the perspective of this DDP alone. It is one action within many. We have got devices for developers pushing apps to Extras, for the Maemo Summit participants, for participants of training sessions. We have also devices for open source collaborators in upstream projects and there is still http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Developer_Device_Queue

If you are aware of other mobile platforms offering a better treatment to open source developers please share the URLs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
How feasible would it be to terminate the N900 DDP and revert to a Nokia Store + Discount Code process for community discounted N900s, as per previous tablets?

I'd be happy to wait a while longer for this to be setup as long as it ensured a full warranty - I guess the only people who would be unhappy would be those who would not be able to obtain a US keyboard.
Sorry, it's too late for this. If you feel the N900 DDP is not for you then go to http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Developer_Device_Queue

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I wonder how many apps in iphone store are produced by commercial/for profit entities that can treat devices as disposable things and how many of them are done by hobbyists?
And I wonder how many of these hobbyists got a device discount from Apple?

Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
It's not really a discount then, so much as a gamble. I can't afford to gamble with this much money. Can you fix this Quim? I want to believe.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Developer_Device_Queue

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
As answered before, our invitation was made to the people that received it, nominally. It's up to them to decide what to do with it.
No it's not: you also said you were confident that this wouldn't become a discount black-market, so, unless there's an official way to return the discount so it's available for someone else, my discount will not be used under the counter, it will just be unused.

Quim - Thanks for the replies, even if they're not what we wanted to hear. Do you know (or can you find out) if the DDP will omit any other accessories included with the retail units?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by luca View Post
No it's not: you also said you were confident that this wouldn't become a discount black-market, so, unless there's an official way to return the discount so it's available for someone else, my discount will not be used under the counter, it will just be unused.
I think I've read something like 'use it wisely'. One thing is selling it on ebay for profit and another thing is finding fellow developer who is serious about Maemo and is willing to take the risk.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ian_ryge View Post
Quim - Thanks for the replies, even if they're not what we wanted to hear. Do you know (or can you find out) if the DDP will omit any other accessories included with the retail units?
You will get a "Not for sale" box with the same content as a sales box.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Thanks for your feelings, but what is happening is precisely the opposite. Due to the feedback and demand the N900 has got we decided to have a more polished release targeting a wider audience, even if at the cost of a later sales start. The rest is a consequence of this decision, including some of the problems you are reporting here.

There is another way to look at this for those explicitely saying that they were not interested in the N900: despite this fact you got an invitation for a device discount. I have never got such invitation from companies selling products I dislike and I wonder whether you have better experiences. Still, you got an invitation because no matter what you think about the N900, Maemo 5 and the Nokia teams we value your past contributions to this community.
I have never felt so much involved in a platform as in Maemo.
I do, I REALLY DO, thank Nokia (and you) for the way you are thanking the people interested in this platform and in particular those that are actively helping pushing it.
I do.. I repeat, I really do thank.
It's been so far an awesome experience, I never said the opposite.

But yourself admitted it was a fault to let DDP handle the N900 discounted program (because of the Warranty issue) and I thank you for giving your name as the one to be blamed for this.

But you must also understand the frustration of who was eagerly awaiting to buy this device, when he found out there was no warranty even though he was going to pay 250 Euro. That's a lot of money for an open source developer, it is way more than 99 Euro we paid for the previous discounted devices and it is not that worth, anymore, spending that much money for a "primary" device that is ALSO a development device.

I complain for this, but I do not want to sound like I don't care or don't thank for everything Maemo has done to me so far in thanking me for what I have done for the platform.
I want to be clear on this and I think I can speak for many people here.

I do understand your points, giving free/discounted devices to developers and people heavily involved in Maemo, and I am sure you also understand our points.

Anyway, it's too late to go back.. let's just improve next the process for the next device.

Thank you.
Aniello

Last edited by anidel; 2009-11-24 at 12:08.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
And I wonder how many of these hobbyists got a device discount from Apple?
I'm not sure a discount is needed when plenty can be accomplished on a $199 ($189 at Costco) iPod touch. And for $299 ($279 at Costco) you can get the 32GB, 256MB, Cortex A8 version. But of course, it costs $99 a year and a Mac to actually develop for it. But at least there's a 1 year hardware warranty.

So, how about a warranty, or maybe lower the price to $279 US. It's never too late to change.