Originally Posted by Palin View Post
It would be a problem. Opera stops working, fbreader would be ancient... backups won't work I would have to restore anything by hand.
Yet if it's the only permanent solution...
What about booting os2007 from SD card for when you need Navicore? Not ideal I know,or we need to find a way to get Navicore to work on os2008.

I think the only way it would be the mantainers to relase a patched license server to be used by the community. But I think the licensing schema is in use with other software as well.
I don't think tampering with the executable would lead us anywhere since if I'm correct the software has a jvm embedded so you'll end up debugging the jvm and not the software itself.

Edit: I'm very disappointed of all this, I got a n810 because I'm fond of free software, and I accepted to pay because I thought it was right to support people supporting open devices. I won't do this error again.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Cologne, Germany
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
I initially used the licence with wayfinder (with 3 years limit)on my n810.I deactivated this and used it on my n800 running os2007 and the navicore 2007 application,which gave me unlimited use.
Have you deactivated it in wayfinder?
Are you running os2007 and the Navicore 2007?
It should work !
Oh, no, I didn't deactivate Wayfinder, but deleted the whole installation folder while trying to make it work. (I did it a couple of months ago, not now because of your post.)

And now I don't find a way to deactivate the license. If I try to activate it, it says the license has expired, but doesn't save any information about my code and thus doesn't allow deactivation.

Does anyone have an idea how to deactivate the Wayfinder license in the case when the installation is not there anymore?

I have an idea that works in a different direction. I haven't read all 54 pages of this thread, so mebbe it's been suggested before.

I have an N810 with a Wayfinder license that expired some months ago. I can get it to work by setting the system time back; however, as someone here guessed, the software borks when it gets a time update via GPS.

Would it be possible to create an interface between the raw GPS data and the Wayfinder application? If that could be done -- or if the GPS software could be altered -- it might be possible to subtract a few years from the GPS timestamps as they are passed to Wayfinder
Wayfinder seems to check system time versus GPS time, checking for large errors. For those not willing to set their system time back, you'd need a second interface between the system time and the Wayfinder app. I would guess that this would be much harder, given that datetime is a very low level type of function.

Just a thought. I think Sygic on my N900 stinks on ice, and I'd like to use my N810 as as dedicated GPS device.

Don't crack it? Buy a real gps. Like Garming. This nokia n810 is pretty much a freaking toy for tinkerers. Lets be frank. You can't use this thing for serious work. Most of the apps are half ***. Not that good. It is only me talking I guess.

I did not know there is censorship here. That washes down the massage i tried to convey.

I have to say that the whole wayfinder business is quite moot.

I picked up a palm pixi off ebay for $30 and it gets a GPS lock in a few seconds, while the n810 takes upwards of 45 minutes and that is with the A-GPS "cheat". There are several navigation programs available which IMO work better than wayfinder though still leave something to be desired. No carrier is required if using the hacked bypass registration firmware and I did a radio board swap to get a wifi chip (though a pixi plus would be the better bang for the buck for those that don't care about compatibility with Sprint)

It's sad to say but it's just not worth cracking wayfinder with the awful GPS chip in the N810 (yes N800 and N810 users with standalone BT GPS receivers may have better luck with the signal lock) but the truth is the maps won't be updated and for that a dedicated GPS unit would be a better choice. Or a cheap smartphone that has proper GPS software like I mentioned would be a better option than continuing this game.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Here's the thing. I actually like the GPS on my N810, and to get some of the same features, I'd have to spend some cash. I want a device with a large screen, decent maps, removable batteries, thin form factor, and good turn by turn directions. The N810 is slow to get a lock, but it delivers on all the other things I want. I'm not much worried about updates because I've found the Wayfinder maps to be good, and things aren't changing that fast.

Bottom line: To get what I'd like in a GPS, I could somehow use my N810 or spend several hundred dollars.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2008 @ cambridge, UK
I noticed the handful of messages about the demise of their Wayfinder licences just today as my own approaches expiry next month.

The maps are indeed slowly getting out of date, the live traffic / speed camera updates ceased years ago and its battery life heads to zero but I am gonna miss my N810 estimating arrival time and telling me how far my junction is on the motorway. It will be like loosing my driving companion sitting in the passenger seat with a map, calm voice and stopwatch!

One more reason to get an Android and GoogleMaps

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Yes, Ovi Maps - on the pre-release image on the N950 - isn't an adequate replacement, even with its custom "Drive" app:
  • Colours are grey and light grey on a white background. Not very visible.
  • No favourites in Drive.
  • No longitude/latitude destination.
  • No ETA.
  • No speed camera warnings.
  • Some searches still seem to go online. Haven't fully tested offline use yet.
  • No waypoints.

So as long as the N810 is going, and the Wayfinder licence hasn't expired, I'll be continuing to use it as my main GPS. I'm not convinced my next phone (an N9) will be able to replace it and may have to buy a custom GPS.

Tags
customers?, middlefinger