Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
IIs there any possibility that maemo.org/Quim could give a commitment that faulty N900 devices purchased through DDP would be replaced within the first year (assuming there is no obvious user abuse)?

We're probably - hopefully - talking about a small number of devices out of the 300 or so that might be purchased which then go on to develop a fault, but it would at least give peace of mind to purchasers who might otherwise not get involved any further with Maemo 5 or worse, purchase a competing device and leave the community entirely (as they won't be able to afford an N900)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, one week warranty? ouch...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
hmm, one week warranty? ouch...
It is just to cover the DOA devices.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It is just to cover the DOA devices.
meh, one maemo brick (770) is enough...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The only margin I have to play with are the developer devices for developer loans. The wiki page I have linked in this thread so many times. I can't promise anything but if I'm inviting you now to have your names there I can also invite you to have them later if you really need (again) a device for development.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
heh, i am not much of a developer.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
In point of fact, then, it seems to me that this program is just another way to sell N900s. With no warranty, it seems likely to me that Nokia will make a clear profit on these phones.

It had never occurred to me that Nokia would be up to this kind of dirty trick. I'm glad I kept an eye on this thread. I had no idea when I first got an email about this program that it was for a phone with virtually no warranty.

Nokia making money by selling 200/300 units at 250€ ? That is BS. And yes, the lack of warranty is a very unwelcome downside to DDP, but at least it's clearly written on the site after you've registered and before you order... it's just not designed for people like us, is all.

Last edited by fpp; 2009-11-25 at 07:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Quim -

Thanks again for the replies. I was about to purchase a 3rd party warranty from SquareTrade, but then I noticed that they require at least a 90 day manufacturer warranty. I'm still struggling to decide whether to cancel my DDP order and get in the back of the line at Amazon. I really wanted an N900 this year, so it's a tough choice.

I appreciate Nokia's effort to reach out to developers and community members - obviously you were under no obligation to do so. Still, it's a shame that the DDP has been so poorly handled that it's actually delaying Maemo development rather than accelerating it; consumers are buying their phones (and complaining about the limited app selection) while developers are incentivized to wait. Of course, a little waiting is only a minor annoyance compared to the slap in the face it will be for the unlucky devs who try to volunteer their time to enhance your product, and end up with a €250 brick instead.

I understand if it's too late to put warranty cards in the boxes, but it's not too late for you to fix this. You have a list of all those eligible for the DDP, and you could easily commit to replacing the small number of units which break within the first year. Even 90 days would be enough to assuage our fears. The small cost to Nokia would be easily outweighed by the goodwill you would inspire by correcting this problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ian_ryge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If your device comes with a defect from the factory that lets your device unusable, we will do our best to get you a replacement.

This is all we can promise since we clearly can't substitute Nokia Care services.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: