Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Just wanted to say thanks for a beautiful app.

First reactions:
1) Wow, beautiful screen.
2) Love the insomniac mode.
3) Too bad the night light mode's blue, I'd rather it be red.
4) How come I can't set the alarm? Oh well, I guess that's a future version. It is early beta after all.
5) Oh, there's a forum topic...
6) Aha! Drag up the bar at the bottom for the settings page.
7) Wow, RED! Yay - so purdy
8) I can set the alarm too

Okay, now I have to move my charging station to my bedside and ditch the old buzzer.

Again, thanks for a great app. It could use a little note somewhere about the settings page (it kind of feels like an insider secret - but obvious when you see the pointers, once you know), but the app is great overall.

Maybe you could have the bottom of the screen, where "Alarm Set" is written, act as a help button. Hit that and a little help message comes up telling us lazy clueless people what to do... Maybe a little floating window that fades out after a few seconds. Or, better yet, just have pressing the little triangle/pointer bring up the next page. I did try hitting that whilst experimenting, just never thought to drag. I guess my head's still locked in desktop mode.

Not complaining, just providing user feedback. I was happy and using it even without the settings page. Now I'm real happy with it

David...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for a beautiful app.
thank you for spending some time testing it and leaving a comment here
I know switching to the config screen and to the windowed mode is

Anyway, Im wasting my summer free time playing with 'C' +SDL (moving from the original python+pygame). Seem there are chances to have a stripped down lightwave C version.
update:
the C conversion seem a bit simpler than I tought: Ill see if I can port all the original functions of the python version.
Meanwhile if someone want give a try and Ill post here the progresses:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/downloa...ck-c-sdl.3.tar

the clock now use the SDL + SDL_Image for the PNGs, full screen and have no hildon integration (I think should work on the actual, past and future tablets.

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

Last edited by ciroip; 2009-07-22 at 02:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Ciroip - one suggestion to you as a user - and I have provided feedback earlier to you also and kudos .....

While your playing around with C / SDL / Pygame etc is very good and that sure helps, as a selfish user, I would like to see you use your time and skills to creating new apps and not remake Flipclock too much again - as that already fulfills most of the purposes for most of the users.
(remember when I amongst others nixed your Nixie look theme )

What I see lacking in many other apps is a good design concept like your Flip clock has and good integration and mobile usage thoughts going into it.

This is the single most important factor I believe in why Flip clock was so popular - there are quite a few alarm clocks and alarm clocks by itself is nothing to rave about - but Flip clock was different because of its well designed interface and usage and well thought our design and integration of LED, screen, power usage etc.

So as a user who cant do anything by himself, I would rather goad you guys along to put your skills to some more useful application designing.

Just my appreciation and motivation to push you to more fruitful purposes.
Please don't take it any other way.

Last edited by nilchak; 2009-07-22 at 14:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I just wanted to say kudos to you for developing an app that I consider essential for my tablet. I use it every day.

One small request: I find that in the settings, the colour of the AM/PM Alarm Off/On (the yellow colour) is hard to see. Maybe make it a tad darker?

Do you have a paypal donation button/link/address by the way?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
I also really appreciate this application. It is useful, has great style, and shows off the device beautifully. And I agree with nilchak that it would be great to see more applications from this talented author. It's good to know when to declare something finished and move on.

I would only hope that if Flip Clock were declared finished, the user interface would be touched up and non-functioning screens/controls removed, so that any new user (such as myself, this week) would get the same sense of a polished product from the user interface as we do now from the graphics and operation.

Again, I say this with appreciation, and in an attempt to share some of the perspective of a long career in software development.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bilofsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
One small request: I find that in the settings, the colour of the AM/PM Alarm Off/On (the yellow colour) is hard to see. Maybe make it a tad darker?
Also, the "Sound" and "Clock Mode" windows.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Ciro that C port looks awesome buddy, you got some source code kicking around somewhere that you feel like sharing or putting up on the SVN? I'm pretty comfortable with C, just never done any graphics work with it but I'm sure SDL can't be that difficult, just watch the memory management!

I was working on rebuilding some features of the Python version to add some extra cool stuff like theme-ing/etc but for the amount of work I've been putting into it and the lack of free time lately I don't think it's really worth the effort as most everyone seems pretty happy with the way the app is right now, so I'm going to abandon that concept and just go back to completing the tweaking of the app to make it "polished" and finally get to doing some of those things that should have been done a while ago (cleaning up the "Window mode", etc). Once that's done if you've got some C code in the works I can give you a hand with rolling all of the current Python-driven features into it (shouldn't be too hard, just needs a bit of time).

Anyone who's looking for tweaks in images/etc by the way, just remember that all of the graphics in Flip are just regular PNG files, so you can open them up and tweak them as your heart desires. The switches are all located in /usr/share/flipclock/.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Anyone who's looking for tweaks in images/etc by the way, just remember that all of the graphics in Flip are just regular PNG files, so you can open them up and tweak them as your heart desires. The switches are all located in /usr/share/flipclock/.
Ah-ha! Photoshop here I come!
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Italy
wow, too much love to manage
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
While your playing around with C / SDL / Pygame etc is very good and that sure helps, as a selfish user, I would like to see you use your time and skills to creating new apps and not remake Flipclock too much again - as that already fulfills most of the purposes for most of the users.
yeah, I get your point but the clock is like my 'hello world' and let me test all the features I plane to use in other projects.
I need to write some functions to easily manage some interface elements before approaching other projects
What I see lacking in many other apps is a good design concept like your Flip clock has and good integration and mobile usage thoughts going into it.
well, from my point of view is really easier to start from scratch and not be limited by bloated frameworks.

So as a user who cant do anything by himself, I would rather goad you guys along to put your skills to some more useful application designing.
lol, just consider this like the boring part of the trip: I just have to pass trough this .
Please don't take it any other way.
au contraire, know that someone still care about the tablet apps bust my a** to work a bit

Flip Alarm Clock - 3DMania Theme - Synesthesia - Deluxepain
http://ciroip.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/ciroippolito

The Following User Says Thank You to ciroip For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
(remember when I amongst others nixed your Nixie look theme )
I'm going to try to figure out how to get Nixie tubes back into flipclock! After all, I should just have to swap in the images in the data directory from this release, right?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
clock, flip clock