Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I also need some help with the submissions for rzr. I don't normally like to discuss these things out in the open, but I haven't received any reply to my queries back to him in 8 days now (he is currently on vacation). With your help, I would like to make sure these submissions are categorized correctly so they are fair to everyone

I have the following 5 submissions from rzr:
  • redak - Location & Navigation, Beginner: Yes.
  • meta harmattan - Other, Beginner: No
  • p-uae - Destop, System & Utilities, Beginner: Yes
  • rsync - Network & Communications, Beginner: Yes
  • fuse encfs, sshfs (these have been combined into one entry) - Desktop, System & Utilities, Beginner: No

My first query is the beginner status, as you can see it's quite confused. For this competition you're either a beginner or not, and it applies to all apps. I believe in this case it's a 'No'.

Second query - these have all been listed in the new application categories (applications that have had their first release during the competition time frame).

According to this project page, Redak has been worked on and had releases for quite some time (since March). I would propose this is more suited to the "Updates.." category.

From the meta-harmattan revisions it seems that repository has been around for ages, but as there's more than 600 packages in it, I can't find a straightforward way of seeing what exactly was added in the competition time period. I think again this would be more suited to the "Updates.." category, if we can figure out what has been updated..

The first mention I can see of P-UAE for MeeGo is on July 2nd 2011 and the first mention of it on Harmattan I see is the 14th of August 2011. This seems to be a port of existing work so it would be in 'Updates..' anyway, but I cant see what is recent work..

According to this page, there have been releases of rsync going back 13 months and the last commit was 5 months ago. Without further details I can't accept this into the competition.

I first see fuse and sshfs mentioned as being built for Harmattan in a revision dated November 17 2011. So.. same problem again

In rzr's absense, can anyone share any light on these and help try to find out what updates have been done within the competition time frame period so I can accept them? rzr does a lot of good work, but I fear he was confused about the eligibility. It would be so much easier if we could get in contact with him
Hi all, I emailed rzr again a couple of hours ago regarding his entries as a last attempt. Unfortunately he does seem to be off enjoying his holidays and hasn't replied to my emails over the last 9 days now. I don't have much hope he'll be back in touch anytime soon, his last email on submission said he'd be offline for a couple of weeks.

I'm sure one or more of his applications would be suitable in the "Updates... " category but, without knowing what these updates are, i can't in good conscience put them forward for voting. As much as i would like to see rzr in the contest. Not only because he's a valued developer, but also because he's an Amiga fan too

At the moment i'm mindful to remove the entries as incomplete. I just thought I'd give it one more shot with you guys - if any of you are familiar with rzr's projects and know what has been updated recently please get in touch on the competition email. if anyone otherwise disagrees with me removing these entries from the competition please also let me know. Thanks all

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,348 | Thanked: 1,863 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ fr/35/rennes
HI feel free to discalify and remove all unacceptable entries

i knew when i filled the page the categories did not suit well
but i wanted to be part of each cat... bUt if u think this is not fair
no problem i am happy to leave other more chances for their awsome apps

i am not fully available to fix those submission

i will not argue that it is good or bad...

i am happy to be part of this community with or without contests...

actually my spirit is more focussed on cooperation than competition...

for me the this trollish post is closed , so i gave all rights to contest organizer to edit my submissions ... i will not claim anything this is a promise

good luck to all others ....

https://purl.org/rzr/abandonware

Please help to list all maemo existing apps :

https://github.com/abandonware/aband...ment-578143760

https://wiki.maemo.org/Apps#

I am looking for " 4 inch TFT LCD display screen " for Nokia n950 HandSet

http://rzr.online.fr/q/lcd

Also, I need online storage to archive files :

http://db.tt/gn5Qffd6#

https://my.pcloud.com/#page=register...e=g8ikZmcfEJy#

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to www.rzr.online.fr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
HI feel free to discalify and remove all unacceptable entries

i knew when i filled the page the categories did not suit well
but i wanted to be part of each cat... bUt if u think this is not fair
no problem i am happy to leave other more chances for their awsome apps

i am not fully available to fix those submission

i will not argue that it is good or bad...

i am happy to be part of this community with or without contests...

actually my spirit is more focussed on cooperation than competition...

for me the this trollish post is closed , so i gave all rights to contest organizer to edit my submissions ... i will not claim anything this is a promise

good luck to all others ....
hey welcome back, reply me on email - we want to find a way to include you in the competition, we just need a little info

Edit:
@ all - apologies, my pm box has been filling up all day and Ive got notifications that some folks weren't able to send me messages. If so, please email me at the competition email address and I'll get your message that way

Edit2: no reply from rzr yet btw

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-10 at 18:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That's exactly what we ask for. See, how easy was that :P
Sorry to ask one more time the same question, but what if bug fixing goes together with (very little) feature update? See here. Will this already break the rules?
Are we at least allowed to put to devel?

What about voting mechanism? Any news?
I am afraid not, otherwise you would have informed us already, right?
And how long will be voting period?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Sounds really frustrating Could you copy and paste the autobuilder fail log and attach the changes file to a post and maybe we can try to narrow it down? Probably better to add it to your announce thread (more people will see it there), and link us to it.
Got it ironed out and in the Extras-devel repo now
Opened this thread to get help and got some fantastic help quickly. Now sorting out a couple of dependency issues users have reported, but otherwise finally looking good as far as the repo part goes!

Now I just can't wait to see how the voting goes. Not gonna lie, this many new apps to try gets me excited.

Good luck to all of you other devs, may the best apps win!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to computerinfo21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Sorry to ask one more time the same question, but what if bug fixing goes together with (very little) feature update? See here. Will this already break the rules?
Are we at least allowed to put to devel?

What about voting mechanism? Any news?
I am afraid not, otherwise you would have informed us already, right?
And how long will be voting period?
I'd ask you not to make any feature updates, even teeny weeny ones, if you can. The voting period should only be a couple of weeks. Work on them, but don't push them to the repository if you can. If it's something that happens or comes about because of a bug fix then maybe that can't be helped. We wouldn't expect you to disable the feature again It's such a grey area, because to be honest there's someone who always breaks this rule if they mean to do it or not.. I understand it's awkward and sometimes frustrating.

About the voting, I've contacted woody tonight to let him know how we've been going with the list of entries and asked how his voting mechanism testing was going. Hopefully we'll hear good news back. As soon as I know more, you all will know

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
What if (just if) i added a teeny weeny feature, but in the server side of my game, and it didnt need a client update? (i just got google to accept my sending email from the server) That grey area looks a little greyer now :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piggz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I say let's keep features out of the game for a few weeks. Of course bug fixes should be done asap.

I don't think the area is very grey, a feature is something new, a bug is something that doesn't work as expected.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
yeah, im ok leaving it out for now, just glad i got it to work. Ofcourse, by your argument, a user may expect the person invited to the game to get a notification about it. They dont, therefore it is unexpected? Just saying

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piggz For This Useful Post:
Good news from woody He's confident with his voting mechanism tweaks (thanks again woody), and if I can get a final list to him (he said today but it's going to be tomorrow at this time, 11pm here and I need my beauty sleep) then we *may* be able to do something next week with the voting depending on X-Fade and his commitments.

That also gives me time to put all your submissions into threads for the voting.

Originally Posted by piggz View Post
What if (just if) i added a teeny weeny feature, but in the server side of my game, and it didnt need a client update? (i just got google to accept my sending email from the server) That grey area looks a little greyer now :P
Grrr you guys!!

*shakes fist*

Before you all ask me obscure questions about your applications - I really can't sanction any updates cos I know it will open a flood! The problem with giving an inch is that it's only a matter of time before someone takes a mile, right? Just don't ask me ok, and please don't give me a decision to make later if someone brings something up

I think if it's something that makes the existing application features more robust, or otherwise makes your existing features work better, then *perhaps* we can probably over look it If it's some new functionality, especially if it's something in exchange for votes, ohhh I could release the evil otter on you

Picture this... in most app contests you have to email or upload your app to a jury who then decides who wins. In the maemo.org competition world, we try to be as open as possible - so the users are the jury. When you email or upload your app in those other horrible contests you can't change it. It's consistent with your submission details, right? And that's what you're judged against.

We want to achieve a similar situation with our lovely fluffy contest, else do we need to think about a jury in future? I don't think we want that

So please all do try to keep your applications features in line with your submissions. Bug fixes and maybe the odd tweak, don't go crazy on adding new stuff.. remember, the otter! He's waiting! He's looking at you!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I say let's keep features out of the game for a few weeks. Of course bug fixes should be done asap.

I don't think the area is very grey, a feature is something new, a bug is something that doesn't work as expected.
qwazix says it better in two sentences than me with a post full of otters could ever say it

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-09-10 at 21:53.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas