Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Singapore is all set for Nokia Connection http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6-2gBybYbtc

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've heard from different sources (k123 and some marketing guys at Nokia Germany) that the consumer device will be released in September.
Accordingly to Nokias new strategy "announce late, release early" I can't imagine the consumer device will be revealed tomorrow. I could be wrong, though, as some developers with access to the consumer device told me, that they would be greatly surprised if it will be released as late as September. They're counting with June/July.
Also I was told that the dev device will be announced and distributed well before the consumer device.

My bet is, that the dev device will be announced tomorrow (tech demonstration and so on) but with the clear statement that this is not the yet to be announced consumer Harmattan device. The consumer device will be announced in the beginning of September and will be available in stores one or two weeks later.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I've heard from different sources (k123 and some marketing guys at Nokia Germany) that the consumer device will be released in September.
Accordingly to Nokias new strategy "announce late, release early" I can't imagine the consumer device will be revealed tomorrow. I could be wrong, though, as some developers with access to the consumer device told me, that they would be greatly surprised if it will be released as late as September. They're counting with June/July.
Also I was told that the dev device will be announced and distributed well before the consumer device.

My bet is, that the dev device will be announced tomorrow (tech demonstration and so on) but with the clear statement that this is not the yet to be announced consumer Harmattan device. The consumer device will be announced in the beginning of September and will be available in stores one or two weeks later.
This summarizes my thoughts and hopes to the point, great post.

Does anyone know when we could expect to see the first reviews of the consumer device (or the dev version?)? I assume once it gets announced reviews should be available (if Nokia has sent out devices for testing), or does that happen a bit later?

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany

makes sense, but than why elop pulled out the consumer n9 at D9 and said it will be revealed soon? i would guess they will show it tomorrow and release it sometime between august and september, so it would have some effect on the Q3 profits.

EDIT: nokia world is in october and i believe they will show there Symbian Belle and much more important there first WP. I think the time gap between announcing the consumer n9 and wp is too short. first they have to hype meego and 4 weeks later wp7?! All eyes and marketing effort should be on WP.

Last edited by zymo; 2011-06-20 at 07:38.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
Yeah, this whole "release fast after announcement" strategy doesn't work on them.
Do they have any strategy that works?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Hungary, Szeged
Are we there yet?

thats one way of being a disruptive product announce a Dev device that nobody can get there hands on
the Consumer device will be announced I'm told, date of availability will be stated as Q3

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
[*]THe ability to use both 4g gsm or 4g cdma and have 4 sim card slot so one could use 4 carriers
4G GSM and 4G CDMA are the same thing, LTE.

But, IMHO, CDMA carriers are still going to be behind GSM, because too many of the CDMA conventions used when implementing CDMA-based networks are based on American mentality (the "who cares about the rest of the world, we don't go to Europe"), which has resulted in the lack of things like standardised roaming between CDMA operators and many other related issues.

Ignoring the "4G" bit, it is quite a bit more expensive to produce a dual-technology (CDMA and GSM) phones, due to royalties and additional radios, chipsets etc. Especially for Nokia, since they don't pay much in royalties for GSM. About the only people who actually need dual-technology phones are CDMA carriers, to provide their customers with roaming ... see above.

Of course, I wonder why the Symbian issue is always the one brought up when discussing Nokia's US market share (e.g. vs Android), when a bigger issue (IMHO) is that they only make phones for half (or less, considering the US-specific 3g frequencies) of the US market. Maybe Elop should have considered actually playing in the other half of the US market.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
the Consumer device will be announced I'm told, date of availability will be stated as Q3
then their new announcement strategy is really just smoke in a mirror.. ^^

then their new announcement strategy is really just smoke in a mirror.. ^^
yup but we knew that any way lol, took little over two months to start shipping the E6

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-06-20 at 09:13.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland