Active Topics

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
The trouble is they have a empty space between Symbian and WF7. People bying Symbian today might get annoyed, when it get dumped in favor of WF7.

That situation can be resolved in one of the following ways:
1. continue support for Symbian for the time that is needed to perform transition of 70% of customers
2. provide WF7 (or other) firmware update for limited number of Symbian phones
3. dump Symbian phones no matter the consequences.

#3 is most likely, and it will make them drop from #1 (some may argue they are not #1 anymore).

The thing is that they need to keep existing customers somehow, so they can have eco$i$tem. Saying "we are nokia" is not enough.
Completely agree with everything. Except that saying "we are WP7" is probably the only worst thing than saying "we are Nokia" (excluding the non-existent US market).

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Granted the IT's have been/are a very niche market, but for hw testing and developing they have created a solid base and community.
I'm not as pessimistic as most here about Elop as i believe if N9 will be any good and is worthy to actually sell outside the Nokia fans and linux lovers i can see it continuing it's development inside Nokia.

There's just so much of buts and ifs concerning in what condition Nokia will be 1 year onwards and how WP will sell or will N9 sell anything etc to really even guess the direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
if you don't know yet

Nokian huomisessa uutuuslaitteessa ei ole MeeGo vaan Harmattan
This Harmattan-thing should be known for everyone.

There is one interesting bit though, a mention of "Ilmatar" handset. What is that? Dali and Lankku are known but Ilmatar is something new (at least for me ).

They should not spend codename such as Ilmatar for anything trivial

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post

There is one interesting bit though, a mention of "Ilmatar" handset. What is that? Dali and Lankku are known but Ilmatar is something new (at least for me ).

Oh didn't even bother to read it as i thought muro was copy pasting maemo.org forums.

Never heard of ilmatar, but damn i love Nokia's code names like Rover(N900), lankku, dali and ilmatar if true.

Ilmatar means--->
In Kalevala, the Finnish national epic, Ilmatar was a virgin spirit of the air. In the Kalevala she was also occasionally called Luonnotar, which means "female spirit of nature"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

It was mentioned just before Dali..

Wikipedia: Ilmatar was a virgin spirit of the air.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Pink version of N9 ?

for me it's new that according to the article Nokia has given completely on Meego and continue on Maemo, which I really want they to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kozzi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Wikipedia: Ilmatar was a virgin spirit of the air.
And that is why I think that a name like this should not be wasted on some trivial WP7 or S40 handset

And that is why I think that a name like this should not be wasted on some trivial WP7 or S40 handset
I suspect "air" was used as an adjective, not really a codename.
Finns can you educated us?

As for S40, I would prefer S40 to iPhone, anytime, as long as I have N810 or a like.

EDIT: S40 to iPhone

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-06-20 at 12:22.

Yeah with that name you should not be announcing some mid wear hardware.
Of course it being Nokia it could be 100 euros low end phone that's made 10% out of wood and this is the "disruptive phone" announced.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Yeah with that name you should not be announcing some mid wear hardware.
Of course it being Nokia it could be 100 euros low end phone that's made 10% out of wood and this is the "disruptive phone" announced.
Wood is fine. Any particular type of wood?

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland