Active Topics

Notices

now that google is doing it for voicemail very quickly, is it probable that NSA or some other entity is doing at least small vocabulary speech recognition near time on almost all calls? what do you think?

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Yeah i wonder how many doors are gonna get knocked on because of voice mail messages like "Hey man, this is steve...you stilll sellin weed cause Im lookin for a bag, call me and let me know." LOL

Is anyone able to get the full contacts page to load on their tablets?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Oh, another big problem.

The service will associate with the currently logged in google account and can not be reassigned at this time. So if you have more than one account/profile you had better make sure you are logged in with the right one before attempting to upgrade.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Im just glad that dialcentral still works for the time being. Would there be anyway to integrate SMS send/receive into a future version?
On the DialCentral thread we are talking a bit about features, so I'd recommend going there so I have one place to look for when noting what people want added

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=27319&page=2

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Unfortunatly You cant seem to send sms to cells anymore via googletalk using the +12345678900@sms.talk.google.com formula anymore.

According to this article it isn't due to Google Voice, but due to a flood of iPhone users bypassing their SMS plan limitations by exploiting the Google Talk SMS capability.

I hope that when the new tablet is out we will have an option of having a reall sms plan to go with the data.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I hope that when the new tablet is out we will have an option of having a reall sms plan to go with the data.
If the new tablet isn't directly voice capable (GSM/WCDMA voice), then I don't want it to have SMS/MMS capability. SMS/MMS are attached to a phone number, and the last thing I want is to have one phone number for voice calls, and a second phone number for SMS/MMS.

If the new tablet is, from its radio's perspective, data only ... then it makes sense for SMS/MMS to be tied to something like Google Voice. Voice and SMS/MMS go together.

I do wonder what ZER01 plans to do about messaging though. Are they going to offer an SMS capability tied to their VOIP mechanism (ie. a clone of Google Voice), or are they doing to completely leave messaging to IM protocols and not address SMS/MMS at all? That would be a bold step forward, but it would make them very much alone in the crowd of "mobile voice carriers".

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
According to this article it isn't due to Google Voice, but due to a flood of iPhone users bypassing their SMS plan limitations by exploiting the Google Talk SMS capability.
More specifically an iPhone developer selling an app that exploits Google's servers...

We can pro'ly also thank that^ greedhead for Google clamping down all it's publicly accessible data recently. Including the map file repository that Maemo-mapper used.

UPDATE: The developer >> http://www.innerfence.com/google-shu...n-infinite-sms apparently sees nothing wrong with profiting at the expense of others.

Originally Posted by Google
Infinite SMS is a third party app that has been using Google technology to provide free SMS for users, while we were paying for the cost of the text messages. While Google is supportive of third party apps, we've decided we can't support this particular usage of our system at this time. SMS chat is still just an experiment in the early testing stages in Gmail Labs. We're blocking all external XMPP clients from sending SMS; we're not singling out Inner Fence.
Rather than offering a refund to those who bought their app that now no longer works, they want people to complain to Google instead. I think they are trying to come off as the "little guy" fighting the "big corporation" or some such.

Never mind the money they charged or the BS they may have caused OS developers. IMHO, they are just greedheads looking for that quick and easy buck.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-03-15 at 19:35. Reason: update

Sons of b*****s! Not being sarcastic, they really are sons of b*****s! LOL