Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
If someone who was in Barcelona can identify Thomas (sp?) who was taking a lot of pics, for me and point me to his board username, I'd like to ask him to write us a wiki page on how to get the best out of the camera.
That'd be Tuomas, and he goes by tigert. You can find him on Freenode most of the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by deakhead View Post
Cellphones generally have small aperture (the hole where light goes in) so it is difficult to take good pictures in dim light -- this includes N900.
It's not that simple. A 'bigger hole' would mean an aperture of f/1.4 or similar. This in turn would not just change the amount of light, but a slew of other things - like softer images, shallower DOF, getting washed out more easily in daylight (remember, the aperture is not variable). Any imaging system is a heap of compromises. Singling out just one parameter will not necessarily improve the performance of the imaging system as a whole.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That'd be Tuomas, and he goes by tigert. You can find him on Freenode most of the time.
See, that's how I got confused... there were at least two people there called Thomas or something pronouced like that.

Thanks both.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Listening to people crap on about MP in cameras always reminds me of a mate who sold high end Audio equipment - when people would ask how many watts a speaker was he would always reply "How many would you like". The basic idea being that watts != good.

Megapixels in a camera will only get you so far more important are the aperture and the lens as well as the sensor size of the digital camera. So while your "old crappy camera" may have less pixels - it may very well take better photos because of a better combination of the above.MOST phone cameras have a very small sensor and this results in the bad image quality you see in low light.

Now its also important to remember that despite cameras being "point and click" a modicum of intelligence is required when taking pictures. Where the light source is, is a very important consideration. Since the camera is for the most part trying to detect what settings it should use (exposure etc) having a subject with a strong backlight is going to result in dark images as the camera tries to compensate for the light levels behind.

I strongly suggest people read

http://photo.net/equipment/digital/basics/

and

http://digital-photography-school.co...a-camera-phone

Lastly - it is in fact possible to decrease the compression of images taken on the N900 as per the config file. YOU MUST HOWEVER RESTART THE CAMERA DAEMON AFTER THE CHANGE.
here's my 4mpix resized to half size. wb + sharpness adjusted afterwards (because it is the only real way to go with raws).
And half size because I'm so confident about my 4 megapixels and I don't want to make people feel too depressed about compact size cameras.

e: sorry, that was far less than half size, forum software did some resizing afterwards.
Attached Images

If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-12-14 at 18:40.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Wow, I never thought that this thread would get so much attention!

Anyway, yeah. I too hope that it can only improve in future firmware upgrades, much like N**s.